• ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Spelled out,
    Use toilet, don't wash hands, eating from the toilet.
    Same with shoveling manure or changing diapers.

Chicago Tribune, search Dave Mathews sued by two.

I tried your google suggestions and could not find any information to support your claims of people who caught a disease from the dumping incident by the Mathews band. You make a lot of claims that you do not back up.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I tried your google suggestions and could not find any information to support your claims of people who caught a disease from the dumping incident by the Mathews band. You make a lot of claims that you do not back up.

It's ok, only an idiot believes that it's ok to pump engine exhaust into the sanitary sewer system so folks die from poop but exhaust can't possibly hurt or kill anyone.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    It's ok, only an idiot believes that it's ok to pump engine exhaust into the sanitary sewer system so folks die from poop but exhaust can't possibly hurt or kill anyone.

From the thread stalker...
    I've waited for you to get over the butt-hurt, but you persist in sniping & insulting with nothing to add to any conversation.

You missed the point, or didn't understand the process/science,
    This also from a guy that doesn't understand gas traps in sewers and that sewers are open vented at street level.
    You also didn't understand it was an idea/suggestion, not carved in stone way to do things, and it was also a last ditch insurgency tactic.

This is the same guy that doesn't understand the use of electrical solder in an electrical connection.

Im not a moderator, so I can't tell you to add to the conversation or keep your sniping comments to yourself...
    And it apparently escapes you to add something to any conversation you post in, so again, I'll state the obvious,
    This is supposed to be the exchange of information, not your personal forum for grudges/grievances, science denying, etc.

When you personally have done something to secure your situation, call it prepping or sustainability, show us your power production, you water production, you securing a sustainable food supply, your ability to sustain...
    Since that is the purpose of this section of the forum.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    From the thread stalker...
    I've waited for you to get over the butt-hurt, but you persist in sniping & insulting with nothing to add to any conversation.

You missed the point, or didn't understand the process/science,
    This also from a guy that doesn't understand gas traps in sewers and that sewers are open vented at street level.
    You also didn't understand it was an idea/suggestion, not carved in stone way to do things, and it was also a last ditch insurgency tactic.

This is the same guy that doesn't understand the use of electrical solder in an electrical connection.

Im not a moderator, so I can't tell you to add to the conversation or keep your sniping comments to yourself...
    And it apparently escapes you to add something to any conversation you post in, so again, I'll state the obvious,
    This is supposed to be the exchange of information, not your personal forum for grudges/grievances, science denying, etc.

When you personally have done something to secure your situation, call it prepping or sustainability, show us your power production, you water production, you securing a sustainable food supply, your ability to sustain...
    Since that is the purpose of this section of the forum.

I add worthwhile information all the time, I'm not the know it all ,that you believe you are.
    You have posted some very dangerous things to do here, for a man that supposedly owns his own business and constantly knows more than engineers and manufacturers you sure put yourself out there.
    One would think that since you own a business and advertise that you own a business and the work that you do you would be a IP on this forum.
    Welding is crap and silver solder is the way to go and exhaust in the sanitary sewer*** :lmfao:

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Soap **kills** nothing. Indeed even so called anti-bacterial soaps have been proven useless at killing. But they remove bad things and that is sufficient. We can be glib and loose with hygiene now with a modern and effective medical system at out backs but you better believe that in a sustained SHTF situation you will risk becoming part of the tragedy very quickly if you don't get your A game out. Baron von Steuben is known for how he came and trained the continental Army into a professional core. What is not well known but of equal (or more) importance was that he taught and imposed proper camp sanitation procedures that drastically reduced disease at Valley Forge.

Incorrect. Anionic surfactants are inherently antibacterial to some degree (I believe the mechanism of attack is dessication or lysing).

However, the effect is nowhere near 100% and the primary cleaning mechanism of soap and water is physical removal of microorganisms. That's why scrubbing and thorough rinsing (also while scrubbing) are just as if not more important than the use of the soap itself. In most cases, if you have to choose between thorough scrubbing and rinsing with clean water vs. half-assed washing and rinsing with soap, you're probably going to get better results from the former.

Anti-bacterial soaps that formerly contained triclosan are not "useless at killing," it's just that expected benefits over normal soaps (which, again, are somewhat antibacterial by nature) were not apparent. Soaps with triclosan showed no statistically significant benefit over soaps without triclosan (and there were concerns over its presence). You should note that there is a significant benefit to triclosan in toothpaste in terms of reducing harmful bacteria. The difference is, with rinsing there is inadequate triclosan residual on hands or other external surfaces to do much of anything. With toothpaste, enough remains to be effective.

Newer soaps that are labeled "anti-bacterial" contain benzalkonium chloride, a commonly used topical antiseptic. I am unaware of data supporting or refuting efficacy of the addition to reduce harmful bacteria on hands, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I posit that in a normal public men’s room, that outside of pissing on your fingers, it’s probably safer to NOT wash your hands.

bos-94-003

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Marion
    Wouldn't it be cleaner to put the trash bag over the noodle? Maybe clothespin it to the handle if you're worried about it falling in. I just see the noodle/seat getting nasty after several uses

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I posit that in a normal public men’s room, that outside of pissing on your fingers, it’s probably safer to NOT wash your hands.

Good point. I always marvel at the total lack of sensibility in bathroom design. It's always two failures. No matter how wide the stall is the toilet is always jammed against which ever side the TP is on so that only an anorexic midget could properly seat themselves. Then there is the bathroom door. Common sense would tell you this door should push out. But no, there's a pull handle, enabling you to recontaminate your just washed hands with the germ carnival existing on the handle from the people who didn't bother to wash.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Since I don't do fiction, I was just reading about this...

https://waterandhealth.org/safe-dri...cumented-waterborne-disease-outbreak-history/

Just add this to the long list of fecal borne diseases, Cryptosporidium.
    Symptoms are UNCONTROLLABLE explosive diarrhea up to 20 times a day, you basically spend your life in the bathroom,
    Weakened immune system, fevers & chills, weakness, intense stomach cramps, etc.

And there is no cure, it will eventually correct itself or you die/commit suicide.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/private/wells/disease/cryptosporidium.html

And just for the record, bleach/chlorine is INEFFECTIVE in killing Cryptosporidium...

There is a reason I say to drill a deep rock well, and don't settle for surface water when going off grid...
    I live in farm country, livestock number in the hundreds of thousands, the river gets out twice a year, farm run off chemicals,
    Deep rock well have lower recharge rates (less total water volume) but keep out surface water, and use millions of cubic feet of rock to filter out all the bad stuff.

That doesn't mean we don't use a water filter for drinking water, we do use a 5 stage RO filter for water,
    And the house is double plumbed for common water & drinking water.
    That's one small line to a side tap on the sink... Many homes have them hooked to the grid water (under sink filters) so it's not hard or expensive to do, and it's another layer of security for a few bucks...

---------------------

A historical note for those that didn't pay attention in school and haven't done the research,

Carbolic Acid (phenol) was widely used in the 1800s & early 1900s to prevent the spread of diseases just like the ones discussed here.
    'Out Houses' often had a bucket with dilute Carbolic acid to wash hands, and cities required public restroom to have these wash buckets treated with carbolic acid.
    Spitoons often had Carbolic acid in them to prevent 'Consumption' (tuberculosis) from spreading.

The doctors, kitchen workers, etc were *Supposed* to wash hands in the Carbolic acid dilute BEFORE going to work, and that practice is a requirement to this day (but we all know it doesn't always happen).

The laws about how public places had to wash dishes & glasses came about from these diseases, and exist today for the same reason.

-----------

This breaks down into two basic categories,

The science deniers, which deny anything they can't direct see, example would be bears are dangerous because you can see the bear, but microbes aren't dangerous since you can't see them...

And pseudo-science, people that are aware of something, but don't know enough about the subject to make rational decisions, and deny the scale/scope of the actual problems.
    Anti-vaxers are an excellent example of pseudo-science group in motion,
    So are human caused climate change deniers.

------------

Keep in mind the infected don't wash THEIR hands is no big deal for THEM, THEY are already infected...

YOU have to worry about YOURSELF, if YOU aren't already infected, then it's up to YOU to keep that other miserable SOB from infecting YOU.

Washing up is 'Body Armor' against what the idiots are throwing at you, body armor isn't 100% effective, but it sure beats getting shot by every moron that is spraying 360*, 24/7 !!!!

Having seen the "Opinions" of many posters in this thread,
    I'm taking my own soap & disinfecting wipes along should I ever attend an INGO sponsored event!

Last edited:

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Incorrect. Anionic surfactants are inherently antibacterial to some degree (I believe the mechanism of attack is dessication or lysing).

However, the effect is nowhere near 100% and the primary cleaning mechanism of soap and water is physical removal of microorganisms. That's why scrubbing and thorough rinsing (also while scrubbing) are just as if not more important than the use of the soap itself. In most cases, if you have to choose between thorough scrubbing and rinsing with clean water vs. half-assed washing and rinsing with soap, you're probably going to get better results from the former.

Anti-bacterial soaps that formerly contained triclosan are not "useless at killing," it's just that expected benefits over normal soaps (which, again, are somewhat antibacterial by nature) were not apparent. Soaps with triclosan showed no statistically significant benefit over soaps without triclosan (and there were concerns over its presence). You should note that there is a significant benefit to triclosan in toothpaste in terms of reducing harmful bacteria. The difference is, with rinsing there is inadequate triclosan residual on hands or other external surfaces to do much of anything. With toothpaste, enough remains to be effective.

Newer soaps that are labeled "anti-bacterial" contain benzalkonium chloride, a commonly used topical antiseptic. I am unaware of data supporting or refuting efficacy of the addition to reduce harmful bacteria on hands, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

I was taught that (excluding c-diff) that gel will kill more than soap and water unless you actually have dirt, debris, blood (substance) on your skin. If you hands are visibly dirty, soap and water (singing the alphabet song for duration) will work. Gel will work just fine if you hands are not "dirty" and in most cases more effective than soap and water, once again - the exception is c-diff; which requires soap and water.

Bottom line is keep them clean. Soap and water is the definite go to to cover your bases.

Little story here. I used to live in Illinois.....NE and they had a fairly new grocery store open up. Used the restroom once and saw the coat hanger for employees to hang their lab coats (butchers and such) on it. Had a sign that all employees must remove their coats upon entering the restroom. And they did.

I emailed the company and explained what was going on and although it took a couple months of me badgering them, they change the layout in all of their stores. They removed the coat hangers from INSIDE the restroom to the outside. (I have another story about potential health problems but will put that off for another time).

Sometimes "WE" need to speak up....

VHicaqu.jpg

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Been carrying one of those in my truck for years. I stay out of public **** houses if at all possible especially with my kids. Line it with trash bags and cheap kitty litter. Do your biz and find a dumpster. I also carry water, soap,and towels to wash with. Nice to be prepared and stay clean.

Top Bottom