• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Ah ha I wasn't crazy! 4 years ago I was in southern indiana deer hunting and I told my friend I saw a mountain lion, he told me there aren't any. But I knew what I saw. Thank you for posting this. :).

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    bout time.. friend of mine down in Jasper said he saw one hiking....

I've been hearing about them for a while... never seen any in person.

so whats the law here? if they are attacking farm animals/livestock on our property, are we allowed to shoot them?

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    About a year and a half ago I saw pawprints down in Yellowwood that were a full four inches across. Way too big for bobcat (from everything I've seen) but just right for Cougar.

Chance: I can't believe I'm running from a cat!
    Shadow: I won't tell if you won't.
    Chance: Of course, this isn't your ordinary housecat. This is like Arnold Schwarzen-kitty!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    People have been reporting them for the past several years in BTown, but no one ever got photos like that, so it was merely passed up.

dooleydclown

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Somewhere between Indy and Carmel
    Thought we had them for years, DNR being a state agency doesn't want to scare tourist away. Seriously, I've had friends at Crane and they said they had seen them down there. From what I understand the cats like to follow the deer population.

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    Don't tell my wife, she'll never let our daughter go outside again!!

Also, it DOES appear you can shoot them:
    Mountain lions are a protected species in Indiana, but state law allows a resident landowner or tenant to kill a mountain lion while it is causing damage to property owned or leased by the landowner/tenant. If the landowner/tenant wishes to have someone else take the mountain lion, that person is required to secure a permit from the DNR Division of Fish & Wildlife.
    Now I HAVE to get a bigger pistola to carry...

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    To be honest, I don't think a law would make me pause if I should happen to cross paths with one of those. I'm sure it's a better hunter of humans than I am a runner from big cats.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    last week i overheard some people saying one was hit on a highway not far from me.... not sure of the validity of the statement, but seems there were alot of witnesses.......

i saw one about a decade ago...... just for a minute, but it was most definetely a cougar.

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    My mountain lion sighting was December 2009, 20 feet from my hood about 3 miles west of Columbus, IN on State Road 46 I've spent many hours around these animals and I have no doubt in my ability recognize it as a cat other than a Bobcat.

Good do know they've admitted!

Top Bottom