• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Root

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Today I went to DNR Huntington/Roush Lake to shoot my Remington 700 at 100yds. This one is the 700 SPS Tactical .308, 20" barrel, 10x Super Sniper, Burris xtr rings, badger 20moa base. Big thanks to IndyGunWorks for his expertise and help with building.
    IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

0528091553.jpg

I've mentioned before most of my shooting is from long ago. I fall well into the beginner category. I've never owned a rifle like this one and I've never shot at 100yds before today. I wanted a solid rifle that I could grow into. With Indy's help, I got it. I love this thing!

I have some Federal 168gr match ammo that I'll shoot next time. But for today it was ammo I found on the way up to range, Remington 150gr Core-Lokt PSP.

I had some other targets up during shooting at these first two so these don't represent all shots fired. I was making small scope adjustments, looking for a center hit and getting a feel for things.
    IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

Really I wasn't impressed. Though I did gain some new appreciation for basics: distance, good body position, trigger and breath control.
    The last 20 rounds I put into a single target trying to really concentrate on natural point of aim and a steady squeeze of the trigger during a breath pause.

IMG_0937.jpg

Personally, I'm much happier with this last one. The rifle no doubt out shoots me. Errors in shot placements are mine. Ammo will make obvious improvements. And I think a rear bag will help. As will a stock pad for a better cheek weld. I think I need to move the scope back about 1/2" to be just right. (Indy commented about this when we built it, he was right) The Harris bipod swivels which is a nice feature but I do wish it had more resistance or locked completely.

Forgot my camera today but next time I'll get more pics of Huntington as it's a nice range. All cool range officers. Bob and I talked a bit more and I suggested he check out INGO. Root

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Nice looking rig. Just take your time, you will have to get used to the rifle. Definetly get your scope where you want it or you will be fighting it all of the time. With some match rounds your groups will tighten up. If there is more to be desired after you get everything ironed out, you can always get your trigger lightened.

Keep that cheek weld on each string of shots, that could also be some of the problem. Good shooting and looking forward to your next report.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    dont shoot those federals just yet. shoot some more cheaper rounds like brown bear or silver bear to break in the rifle. buy about 300 rounds of that ammo for the break in. it will be cheaper and once you break in the rifle you will have crazy tight groups with match ammo.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin

pick up a box of remington premier 168 match. just shot some out of 2 different 308 savage heavy barrel rifles at a hundred yards. sons rifle had all 3 holes touching. mine had 2 touching with the 3rd just off the others. good stuff.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Nice rifle and good shooting too.

One thing though, that big windage adjustment knob looks like it might be blocking access to loading the internal magazine. Maybe it is just the angle of the photo though.

If so, you might consider turning the scope counter-clockwise so that the "wind knob" is now pointing straight up. The "wind knob" is now elevation and the "elevation knob" is now wind. It is also easy to operate both knobs with your left hand while you keep your right hand and cheek weld where it needs to be.

The scope doesn't know the difference. But you will probably want to mark the knobs so you don't get confused. But it beats struggling to get the rifle loaded. JMO

Also, don't get into a big hurry to move the scope back. When you get into actual field positions instead of the bench, you may want more eye relief instead of less. Don't forget to push forward to "lock in" the bipod for shot to shot consistancy.

Again. good groups for the first time out with a new rifle.

Regards

Last edited:

econnell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Howard Co IN
    You cannot rotate this scope, It has a side view focus on the left side, It has 3 knobs, I have the same scope on my remy 700 in .308 and it doesn't get in my way of loading...I think the picture is throwing you off a little.

I always take a rod with me, and run it down the barrel after 3 shots. Nice set up...but may I ask why did you go with a 20 inch?

You can also put in a steel winchester trigger guard and mag well and get rid of that crappy aluminum one remington puts on it.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Last target is looking much better :) Where you cleaning the barrel while breaking it in?And that is a very nice looking rifle you have there (I am a huge 700 fan).

Root

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Thanks all. ya this scope has side focus so no can rotate. It doesn't seem to be a problem though for loading.
    Mccooly I'll meet you there, I'm definitely going back to Huntington.
    Smokingman, I did alot more break in cleaning on the first time out. I snaked it every round for the first 10. Then every 3 rounds for 10. Then about every 5 rounds. Now I snake it about every 10 and there are 120 rounds down the tube.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    Ammo will make a bit of difference, but not as much as you think. The way you have the rifle set up it should be doing at least 1/2 inch at 100 yards.
    Are you using a bean bag under the rear of your stock? The bean bag trick used by most experienced shooters is a big help. I first used one last year at a precession rifle class and I have to tell you it was a huge help.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Uh...

The SPS Tactical is a decent starter rifle. The actions are not bedded in that stock as well a Rem. could be to achieve the best accuracy. 1"-1.25" groups are average for this set up.

Replacing the stock will make a huge different. I'd suggest checking out snipercentral.com for a look at the difference the stock makes.

Shoot from the prone and see if the scope needs adjusting then...

I would not suggest putting any steel cased ammo in what you intend to be a precision rifle. Pick a decent load or two depending on application and learn everything about it, shoot them till you show up as a slice on a pie chart at the brand of ammo's sales meeting.. That will help more than anything. Seriously knowing how rounds shoot that you carried in your right pocket as apposed to your left might be the difference between a groundhog viciously attacking you or you splitting that little commie in half.

I am glad to see more bolt guns among the mass of zombiefied AR guys...

If you ever want to push range and shoot steel or critters let me know..

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I would not suggest putting any steel cased ammo in what you intend to be a precision rifle.

Ditto!!!! Only brass case cartridges. Check out the Privi 168G BTHP. These is actually a copy of the Federal Match 168G BTHP and is much cheaper and has produced great results.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Thanks for the range report... i agree with everything everyone above me has said exept two things.... one i dont buy into barrel break in.... all you are doing is essentially forcing early wear on the barrel i would rather spend that time shooting... second i would not turn the scope at all.....

that said you definatly need some time behind the rifle but dont expect perfect results until you get used to the rifle.... thanks for the report

IGW

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Nice looking rifle you have there. I'm also a beginner, when it comes to shooting scoped rifles. My Marlin is the first I have owned. I have put probably 500-600 rounds through it. I'm getting pretty good at 50 yards. Just bought a Savage with heavy barrel. Now I'm going to try my luck at 100 yards. Different caliber, but same basics.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Nice set up, and thanks for the report. I'm in the market for a similar setup, just trying to decided between the 700 or a Savage 10. I'll defiantly be getting it this summer, so hopefully I can make a trip down to that range and we could have a little INGO meet there.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I shoot at Huntington quite often with my 700 in 243. Its a great place with really nice guys working there.

Just curious Root, what height are those rings?

Root

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    The rings are the low ones. It would be good to meet up with INGOers at Huntington. I'll be going back this weekend. Thanks all for your comments.

Top Bottom