Do all slides take about the same strength to rack?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    My sister bought a Judge earlier this year as a home protection weapon. She went with the Judge because thats what all the vendors said to go with. She tried to pull back a slide on a couple full-sized pistols, but couldn't even really budge it.

But now she's thinking about getting a purse pistol, and I think she wants a pistol, instead of a revolver.

I have a Beretta 96 and a Ruger LC9, and they both seem to take about the same amount of strength to pull back. So I know she wouldn't be able to handle either one of those.

Are there any other guns that would be easier to pull? Or should she just stick to revolvers? Or should she just hit the gym a little harder? Or would a .22 be the only one she'd be able to handle in that style?

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nope. they are all different.

The lightest by far is the Walther pk380, due to its tilting barrel design, and extremely weak return spring.

I believe it is the only tilt barrel .380 commonly available.

The longer the spring, and the weaker the cartridge, the easier to rack the pistol will be. <now that I look at that it sounds like Yoda said it.>

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    alot of your poket pistols will be a little easier on her. i know when i took the g/f out shopping once she seemed to have an easier time racking the smith m&p pistols and alot of the rugers. another thing to keep in mind too i guess is to remember that the smaller the caliber the weaker the recoil spring, or atleast that is how it feels to me. i am sure someone shortly will give an example of something that prove me wrong lol.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It all depends on the recoil spring. Generally heavier calibers have heavier recoil springs, but it's also a function of the mass of the slide, so even in a light caliber if the slide is low-mass there will be a heavier recoil spring to compensate. These guns are also "snappier" to shoot.

How the slide itself is able to be gripped also makes a difference. My EAA Witness 10mm slide is small and angled so it's much harder to rack than my Glock 20.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Just keep in mind that when a gun is new it will be harder. Tends to get easier the more you do it. And you could have her try to rack the slide using her whole hand and not the "slingshot" method that just uses the thumb and index finger. That is if she has only tried the "slingshot" method. Believe it or not, I've seen people that didnt realize you could use more than just 2 fingers to pull the slide back.....

EDIT: Three more posts while I was typing :(

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    ^^^TomN is right. That method works really well for those with weaker hands. Most importantly, get the "over the top" grip on the slide and push away from the body with the strong hand and pull toward the strong shoulder with the weak hand simultaneously.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    TomN's video is correct we teach and I use this method on all pistols. Additionally it keeps you in a more compact size and not hanging your pistol out to be taken in a defensive situation. I'd also say that on hammer fired pistols cocking the hammer will reduce the force necessary to run the slide.

-1 on TomN for not finding a Yeager video!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Like others have said, some pistols are harder than others based on the weight of the recoil spring, and whether they have to cock an external hammer or are striker fired.

Even striker fired don't guarantee an easy slide pull. I carry a Kahr PM9 and it take two hands and a foot to cock it. On the other hand, my Beretta 92FS can almost be racked by just looking at it.

The shape of the slide can also affect how easy it is to rack it. I have a Beretta 9000 that the slide fits inside the frame, giving very little to grab to rack it.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County

lobowind

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    West of Indy
    When I was in a few shops trying to rack the slides, I thought I surely must be the weakest woman alive. Finally in the 3rd shop I visited, one of the salesmen showed me the method illustrated in the video above. Then it became very easy for me, so your sister may possibly not be pushing forward with her off hand.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    My Lady tried several different companies offerings as she wanted an auto and it became apparent that this was the first hurdle. She tried to rack Glocks, Rugers, Walthers, Khars... There were only two that she could rack, all M&Ps and the Beretta 92FS.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I was having the same problem with my first Bersa. Over the years I have lost some grip strength and could not pull the slide back. One of the guys at the LGS I go to suggested pulling the hammer back first, then racking the slide. It worked!

Also, I have used a golf glove on my left hand and had no trouble pulling the slide back, even without pulling the hammer back first.

Just a suggestion...

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Cool. Thanks for the info guys. I don't think she really gave it 100% either. She probably gripped it in a half-assed way, and tried. But if she's serious about getting one, I'll have to show her this way, and not give up if it feels weaker than she needs to be.

But I remember when I got my Beretta, I wasn't expecting it to be that hard to pull back. Never handled a pistol before that, and when the clerk handed it over, I only was able to pull it back only half way. Kind of like when you pick up a full can of soda, but you think its completely empty. Dropped a few that way.

HalfCocked

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Even striker fired don't guarantee an easy slide pull. I carry a Kahr PM9 and it take two hands and a foot to cock it. On the other hand, my Beretta 92FS can almost be racked by just looking at it.
    +1 to that indykid, I really wanted a CM9. I may not be the strongest guy around but I do hit the gym from time to time. I really had to struggle with that slide. Ended up not getting it.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    As everyone has mentioned, method can change things. My fiance though has trouble as she is tiny so we ended up going with a Sig238 which has been awesome for her. She is accurate and can operate it very efficiently. Low recoil, easy to use, accurate, amazing night sights, we highly recommend it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A problem with many of the sub compact pistols is that they are so small you really have nothing to hold on to when you try to rack it. Even at 6'2", 220 lbs and at least as strong as average, and I haveto struggle racking some of the little slides. I carried a Beretta Tom Cat .32 with a tilt barrel when I wore a suit to work, and even though I could rack the slide, the tilt barrel feature was nice. In addition to the initial function of loading the pistol, one should to be able to rapidly clear a jam under stress.

A compact revolver is usually a lot easier to depend on.

Top Bottom