• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    First rule of building ARs, if you have any parts left over they will turn into more ARs.

Second rule of building ARs is you ALWAYS have parts left over.

I am currently building a 300BLK pistol with the Sig brace and the LAW folding buffer tube. It all started because I had 1 pistol length gas tube I accidently ordered a while back.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Yes they are magic like that. I started out with a nice bull 223 and wham-o I open the safe and a new 300BLK is sitting there next to it. I know there is more on the way. Cant wait!

wabashman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Same thing happens at my house too!!! Grab a few lowers on sale at PSA, next thing I know they have shacked up with an upper and a complete rifle is sitting in there. Really wish it would stop as it's caused another safe to get thrown into the mix.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am the one who says I won't get multiples of any firearm. I have a personal policy on all of my possessions; no redundancy of anything. One is enough.

I say this as I collect parts to build my next AR...:)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I am the one who says I won't get multiples of any firearm. I have a personal policy on all of my possessions; no redundancy of anything. One is enough.

I say this as I collect parts to build my next AR...:)

From a survivalist standpoint (because as a long time survivalist "prepper" just sounds like the soccer mom equivalent), one of the things that I have come to appreciate about the AR platform is the high degree of modularity. So while I may have a bunch of different ARs for different tasks or just because I want to, if there ever is a SHTF my ARs will be the easiest rifles to maintain long term because of the high degree of interoperability. Just like my Glocks and my 1911s. That lesson was driven home to me recently when my S&W M&P 15-22 blew its extractor. I had to send the entire gun in for repair to replace a $.50 part because S&W won't sell that part. Had that been an AR I would have bought a replacement part and a couple of extras. This is why I am going to be selling my 15-22s even though I LOVE them, and replacing them with dedicated .22lr AR uppers. I don't wish to own guns that parts are not available for.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I just bought a stripped AR lower from Midwest a couple weeks ago, and I'm thinking about going and getting another one before the sale ends. I haven't even bought any parts for the first lower yet! :ugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    From a survivalist standpoint (because as a long time survivalist "prepper" just sounds like the soccer mom equivalent), one of the things that I have come to appreciate about the AR platform is the high degree of modularity. So while I may have a bunch of different ARs for different tasks or just because I want to, if there ever is a SHTF my ARs will be the easiest rifles to maintain long term because of the high degree of interoperability. Just like my Glocks and my 1911s. That lesson was driven home to me recently when my S&W M&P 15-22 blew its extractor. I had to send the entire gun in for repair to replace a $.50 part because S&W won't sell that part. Had that been an AR I would have bought a replacement part and a couple of extras. This is why I am going to be selling my 15-22s even though I LOVE them, and replacing them with dedicated .22lr AR uppers. I don't wish to own guns that parts are not available for.

The interchangeability is another plus. If you have multiple AR's for different applications you can keep many running with the parts from 1 gun.

Top Bottom