• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    What you cannot measure with Dick's, is how their sales overall are effected by their running off the 2A crowd. We don't just not shop there for their absence of guns, we refuse to buy anything there.

Even the self centered among us, who would put sale price ahead of ALL gun owners better interests, have come around to discover no sale pricing is worth supporting this anti-gun business. :twocents:

I wouldn't disagree with this however just an observation I know a kit of tough talkers (look at the ones flocking to Walmart on this months ammo crisis for 22's)

But a lot of those tough talkera have Wives that dont give 2 craps about a 2A thing and Kids need sports stuff that's where Mom and kids are going "With Dads Money"

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I used to shop at DSG often. I no longer do. They don't miss me and they don't miss you.

They have replaced low margin floor space with higher margin floor space.

While many similar competitors in the apparel and sporting goods industry have struggled, DSG is a solid performer. Their financial numbers over the past decade plus versus the industry do not support our anecdotal believes. A glance at their historical numbers show growth that a lot of brick and mortar stores would love to have.

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/DKS/dicks-sporting-goods/financial-statements

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    In all truth, Dicks is getting killed by Amazon, they definitely were virtue signaling for the soccer moms that are their customers. But those moms are moving to the convenience of Amazon.

Amazon a game changer that we all tend to forget about. Amazon changed retail.

The Rona is also a game changer. Look at all the curbside or home delivery now being offered. Some of that won’t be going away. I was talking with my colleague at work today (by phone) and guess what else companies will re-evaluate, the home office. Why spend money on an office building and conference room when software allows virtual meetings?

Xrage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    NWI
    I personally think boycotts do not work. 99.9% of Americans pay no attention to these type of things. Boycotts and protests will NEVER be as effective at bringing about change as voting does.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Since we're talking about boycotts, here's an article about an astro-turf farm founded by left-wingers for that very purpose (I had not heard of this group, but they are the ones who went after Tucker Carlson):

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...dia_advertising_boycotts_backfire_142918.html

There is even an element of irony in this one, as the left-wing gets a taste of what it's like when a fire you start gets out of control, and you end up being sort of an industry pariah.

annabelle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2020
    2605 Hudson Street
    I wouldn't disagree with this however just an observation I know a kit of tough talkers (look at the ones flocking to Walmart on this months ammo crisis for 22's)

But a lot of those tough talkera have Wives that dont give 2 craps about a 2A thing and Kids need sports stuff that's where Mom and kids are auto clicker going "With Dads Money"

Their financial numbers over the past decade plus versus the industry do not support our anecdotal believes. A glance at their historical numbers show growth that a lot of brick.

Last edited:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I don't think boycotts do much to harm businesses even if they do get their attention--for DSG, Levi's, or Chic-fil-a, for example. I think it's just part of the tectonic shift between "left and right". Things have become so politicized and toxic that it's hard to agree to disagree, so people take their money and even their lives--jettisoning past friends--and move to the social pole that better suits them.
    Kind of making teams for adult dodge ball.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I am wondering about the effective use of boycotts. Do they work or do they just make one feel good.

An example I have is many years the past Boycott on McDonalds because we heard or thought or have proof that Ronald the Clown was anti gun. So for the most part we stayed away from the cold fries, dirty unbussed tables, unattentive clerks that mumble and don’t know how to make change, pixx poor manglement, plastic patties, and the snare of making us wait for “fast food”. I was running a very large match one year and my staff all showed up on a very hot Friday. We had to set the stages, build props, clean thing up, set heavy steel etc. Being on a deadline for the 100’s of people showing up on Sat morning. Lunchtime came and the only place to get food fast was a nearby McDonalds. One of my RO’s had a coupon that really reduced the money we needed. What to do in the middle of this Boycott? Starve? Take more time and money to feed everyone? You guessed it, we did the clown food. Being a prisoner of my character I hated to use McDonalds but the few hundred shooters and families that came together to enjoy the match did more for the support of gunowners/shooters than enabling the supposed anti gun restaurant.

That was many moons ago. In the meantime we hear of other examples. UPS, FedEx, Springfield Armory, Rick River, PayPal, NRA, Ruger, Remington, Colt, all at one time has had controversy. Real or Perception and not knowing the whole story I have witnessed InGo peeps boycotting these companies while everyone of them have and continue to enable shooters and sport every single day.

The question is do knee jerk boycotts work? Are they based on accurate and complete information? Is the boycotter on the BOD and has first hand information?For me personally, everyone of these companies provide a supply and demand to my lively hood and sport so I need to continue to use them.

any thoughts or missed companies?

"Boycotts" are about as effective as "anti-price gouging laws".....at least when it comes to making people feel good.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Boycotts only work when they align with the progressive values of the media and the elites of the corporate world. Conservative boycotts don't get any coverage, and thus have no legs. They just hunker down and wait until the angst passes.

Meanwhile, 20 whiny progressively will be portrayed by the media as a majority and all the elites will cower in fear to progressive banner.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    Boycotts only work when they align with the progressive values of the media and the elites of the corporate world. Conservative boycotts don't get any coverage, and thus have no legs. They just hunker down and wait until the angst passes.

Meanwhile, 20 whiny progressively will be portrayed by the media as a majority and all the elites will cower in fear to progressive banner.

This seems about right !

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    No. No one cares about your wokeness, especially big companies.

I wouldn't say that.

Ghost Busters 2016
    Starwars reboots
    The DC comics movies

They all got woke and went broke at the box office. And that's just the few I remember off the top of my head, there's countless others.

I'm not sure how you'd define that as a boycott though... But it kind of is.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I wouldn't say that.

Ghost Busters 2016
    Starwars reboots
    The DC comics movies

They all got woke and went broke at the box office. And that's just the few I remember off the top of my head, there's countless others.

I'm not sure how you'd define that as a boycott though... But it kind of is.

I’ll refer to the urban dictionary definition;

“ The act of being very pretentious about how much you care about a social issue.”

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 15, 2019
    Union
    well I do think it worked on Dicks Sporting goods when They destoyed all those AR15 rifles.The loss for there quarter was pretty bad.I know allot of guys wont by from thim.Kinda like a clothes shoe store now.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

This is the truth...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    well I do think it worked on Dicks Sporting goods when They destoyed all those AR15 rifles.The loss for there quarter was pretty bad.I know allot of guys wont by from thim.Kinda like a clothes shoe store now.

I get a laugh out of the self-satisfaction some have about a supposed Dick's boycott. Everything major that happened to Dick's was the change in the market, not a puny boycott most never knew about. They make their money selling to soccer moms and they shifted to Amazon, that simple...

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Wl6ewkr.jpg

Top Bottom