• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whackmaster66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I just bought a SKS from a buddy of mine that bought it 20yrs ago and NEVER shot it. So i brought it home and started looking at it and was thinking about getting a 30 or 40rd mag for it.. Now a friend of mine told me that the SKS wasn't made for a extended mag and have problems with jamming and compressing the rd.. Any help would be appreicated...

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    At best id get the 20 china ones that are made for the sks. There is one i saw in the parts just this week. They run 30-50 bucks but its the best route to go. If you go removible then go tapco. they work the best ive heard. I had one that wasnt tapco and i traded it away. one mag worked the other wouldnt

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I just bought a SKS from a buddy of mine that bought it 20yrs ago and NEVER shot it. So i brought it home and started looking at it and was thinking about getting a 30 or 40rd mag for it.. Now a friend of mine told me that the SKS wasn't made for a extended mag and have problems with jamming and compressing the rd.. Any help would be appreicated...

My SKS works find with the two 30 round USA mags, but people have told me that they have shot USA mags before & it has jammed on them

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    In order of reliability:

Original 10 round box
    Chinese 20 round "Star" box
    Tapco 20 round "duckbill"
    USA brand 20 round "duckbill"
    USA brand 30 round "duckbill"
    all others.

I've shot all of the above and that's what I based my ranking on. I've also had a lot of Brand X metal mags and have had to mess with all of them to get them to feed right. The only one that I would ever even think about using if my life ever depended on it would be the Original 10 and 20 round box mags, or a Tapco 20.

As good as the USA mags are, they are still just and adapdation of an AK style mag (note I did not say an actual AK mag) with a warmed over follower and longer spring. The feedlips are typically not as strong as a true AK style mag for a real AK (or SKS D/M) and the followers tend to bind up.

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    tapco 20 rnd, cheap, reliable and sturdy. u can hold those mags in 200 rnd saw pouches on your load bearing vest. 2 mags fit snug in a 100 rnd saw pouch....real snug, maybe too snug...hit me up if u have any sks questions.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    My SKS was gifted to me 15 or so years ago. When I first got it, I bought a el chealpo 30rd'er. It's sucked since the day I bought it. Recently I refinished my SKS with a tapco stock and stayed with this POS mag since it looked better on the rifle. I was actually looking for an orig 10rd'er since I hated the one I had so much. It's good to hear that there are some after market mags that actually work. If you do decide on one, I'd love some of your feedback. This thread has me considering the tapco's before I return to original.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    BTW...I will add that changing the original box mag for a duck bill style does mean you now have to play the 10 or less game from the 922r regulation for imported firearms. :twocents:

I've never heard of anyone being busted for it, but its not worth the risk IMHO.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The 30 rd mags work fine in my Yugo, But wont work worth a crap in my brothers Russian SKS:dunno: Who knows! He uses the Tapco mags and has had pretty good luck with them

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    My 20 rnd Tapcos seem to work just fine. I had to enlarge the magazine opening on the wooded stock just a little to fit them in. The old, dull black USAs work good now since I did some work with a pair of long nose pliers to adjust the feeder lips.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The 3 sks's I had hated the extended mags. If I remember right, 2 were Russian, and 1 was Chinese. I've always felt the sks performed and looked best in it's original configuration. If you want to use an extended mag, pistol grips, folding stocks, buy a cheap AK :smileak:.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    The 3 sks's I had hated the extended mags. If I remember right, 2 were Russian, and 1 was Chinese. I've always felt the sks performed and looked best in it's original configuration. If you want to use an extended mag, pistol grips, folding stocks, buy a cheap AK :smileak:.

+1.... That's what I always tell guys that ask me. Buy an AK but most of them can't get past the price tag of an SKS vs the AK. :dunno: The funny thing is they usually spend just as much when its all said and done switching out the stocks and buying mags.

Top Bottom