Do Gen4 Glocks use the same mags as older Glocks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I just bought a Gen 4 Glock 21 even though I'm not normally a Glock fan. Do the new Gen 4 Glocks use the same magazines as the older Glocks or do I need to look for something special on any new magazines that I buy? I know the mag release is reversible so I am assuming that the mags might be different.
    Thanks

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    What I have learned from experience and reading here after asking was Gen 4 work in older models, older mags work in Gen 4 most times but do not allow the ambi mag release. All mags I've bought recently were made to the newer specs.

ItIsWhatItIs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    As a matter of experience, its not wise to mod for lefty bc you will always be comfortable with a strange gun in your hands if you are used to a righty mag release.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    As a matter of experience, its not wise to mod for lefty bc you will always be comfortable with a strange gun in your hands if you are used to a righty mag release.

This is the whole point of the ambi safeties and mag releases, to put a comfortable firearm into the hands of the lefties. Other manufacturers have done it and some lefties avoided Glock for this reason. It's just another available option if you choose to use it. It's all about what works for each person.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    This is the whole point of the ambi safeties and mag releases, to put a comfortable firearm into the hands of the lefties. Other manufacturers have done it and some lefties avoided Glock for this reason. It's just another available option if you choose to use it. It's all about what works for each person.

I believe that he is referring to the fact that if you were in a situation where you had to use a gun other than your own, chances are that it will be a righty gun.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I know it's not the OPs intent, but why does this matter? But, I will comment. If someone is a lefty why should they have to shoot a gun right handed so that it is familiar?

So looking at a far fetched scenario. IF "you were in a situation where you had to use a gun other than your own" then is it going to matter much? Use the gun to get out of the scenario. Where did the gun come from because you must think they come with extra mags, too. My point? The likelihood of this happening is slim and he needs to be proficient with firearm use, not just reloading technique. And if someone isn't proficient shooting right handed what would you have them do?

Yeah, we probably should have started a new thread for this. Opinions?

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    On the OP's question:

Any glock magazine will work in the gen4 if the gun is set up in its normal right-handed configuration. Otherwise, you will need the new magazines.

As to the side question:

Personally, as a left handed shooter, I do not consider a right-handed (left-side) magazine release to be a handicap for most left-handed shooters. I've run most of my guns with a left-side magazine release for years as that was the only way they were made. As such, my "muscle memory" is already ingrained for this setup and i wouldn't switch over to a right-side magazine release even if it were an option. If you prefer a different setup, that's fine too. Just practice with it until the movements are ingrained.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom