• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.

Yes, this is good info. And the morons in the SUV were exactly that. But, I agree with a few others here that it didn't probably "have" to be euthanized. I mean, based on that article, it sounds like we need more experimental work with raising bison calves in captivity. Here's an opportunity to try some stuff. If it dies, well, it's dead now anyways. I figure it helps send a message, and that's more valuable than trying to keep it alive.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Yes, this is good info. And the morons in the SUV were exactly that. But, I agree with a few others here that it didn't probably "have" to be euthanized. I mean, based on that article, it sounds like we need more experimental work with raising bison calves in captivity. Here's an opportunity to try some stuff. If it dies, well, it's dead now anyways. I figure it helps send a message, and that's more valuable than trying to keep it alive.

Just talked with a ranger on another site. They're getting the same response from around the country thanks to the news reports. The fact of the matter is bison - by law - are not allowed to leave the park under threat of spread of brucellosis. There are no facilities funded, built or exist in the park to care for wildlife of this kind of incidence - it is not in their charter to care for wild life, but to see to the continuance and balance of the fragile ecosystem. Therefore, to care for the calf, it must go through months of quarantine prior to shipping out of the park and no facility or funding is available for that either. Therefore, given the extremely high risk (and concurrent law) of spread of disease, and no facilities to care for orphaned bison (as the operation would be outside the charter of the park and in this case extremely low success rate), the only options are let it die of starvation or predation or euthanize. They chose euthanize as it was more humane.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, the taxpayers should be burdened with raising this orphaned bison? No thanks; there's plenty of other bison out there. I will be mildly outraged (it's the internet after all) at the stupidity, but I won't be outraged that the park dept. took the steps they deemed necessary.

In the end, probably more bison are saved from the spreading the message, "if you mess with wildlife, it will die one way or another."

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    My last trip to Yellowstone was in winter...back in '10 I think. We were riding with a group on snowmobiles and when we came upon Bison on the road we pull to the side, exit the non-road side, wait for them to pass. On the second day of our visit we came upon a full grown male Bison that was on the road, trying to walk, he'd broken his leg some how. We slowed, watched, moved on. Sad, but true - it happens. I asked the ranger at the next stop what they were going to do about the bison with the broken leg, he said "nothing". Not in our charter. We do not interfere unless absolutely necessary to the ecosystem. He will most likely be wolf food over night...and eventually consumed by predators and scavengers in the park. That's exactly how it happened and their charter has not changed.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    The fact of the matter is bison - by law - are not allowed to leave the park under threat of spread of brucellosis.

I did not know that, you seem well versed in this issue.

So, the taxpayers should be burdened with raising this orphaned bison? No thanks; there's plenty of other bison out there. I will be mildly outraged (it's the internet after all) at the stupidity, but I won't be outraged that the park dept. took the steps they deemed necessary.

In the end, probably more bison are saved from the spreading the message, "if you mess with wildlife, it will die one way or another."

Well, I am not outraged about a dead bison either way. There are other more rare species that careless individuals could have harmed. I was just thinking of the opportunity to perhaps learn how to better care for bison calves in captivity. I did not think of the transport restrictions due to disease concerns though. If it had to remain in the park, euthanizing it makes sense.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Bleeding hearts. They're the type that are shocked when they save a baby duck from the mud and then a predator swoops in and eats in.

OMG, its gonna die. Lets save it! That thing just killed it!

Out of touch with nature and the way things work. Brainwashed in to thinking if they don't DO something, they're bad people

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Bleeding hearts. They're the type that are shocked when they save a baby duck from the mud and then a predator swoops in and eats in.

OMG, its gonna die. Lets save it! That thing just killed it!

Out of touch with nature and the way things work. Brainwashed in to thinking if they don't DO something, they're bad people

Back on point!

This was my whole point of posting in the first place. For this generation to have at it's fingertips so much information seems the epitome of irony that so many simply don't look...don't try...just act and end up harming what they try to save. It's a rampant epidemic in my opinion. I see it every day - EVERY day.

Someone wants to help make water cleaner, a group pushes for EPA regulations to be tighter, incrementally and chokingly grind business to a halt, drive prices of products high, put people out of work, and end result is the water though technically cleaner it's not measurably better for health at all.

Wanna talk green energy? Anti-gun? Introduction of wolves? Listing Polar Bears? Coal Fired Electricity? Thousands of examples.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Graduate degrees from the Disney school of Cartoonology.

A joke, and I get it, but seriously there's a whole generation of people who think animals think exactly like humans. They don't. Animals deserve humane treatment, but they are NOT humans. They don't behave like humans and don't have the same requirements to exist that humans do. So, please, for the love of all that's sane, don't treat them like humans! In this case - you killed an animal because you thought it needed a little SUV love.

On a tangent - taking my gun away doesn't make your child safe! I'm not a criminal - don't treat me like one!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    This had the potential to end badly and should have. Years ago a pair of German tourists at Hayden Meadows got out of their car to film a bison. It was just lying there chewing its cud and wasn't doing anything filmworthy. So he went up to it and kicked it to make it move. It moved alright - stomped him into muck. And she got the whole thing on film.

Top Bottom