Do I have to break in my new AR Barrel???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baune

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    North side of Indy
    So I finally finished building my new AR. I'm just itching to get out and shoot that thing. Is there a certain method to break in the barrel to ensure lifelong accuracy? Or can you just go and dump 100 rounds right through it?

And for all you curious people out there, It's a DPMS lower receiver, parts kit, and collapsible stock. A BCU M4 flat top upper receiver. 5.56, 16", heavy, 1X9 twist barrel. Aluminum free float hand guard, 2 rail gas block, and standard flash hider. I'll post some pics too when I get them.

baune

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    North side of Indy
    Total cost was right around $760 for the whole rifle. I have a detachable carry handle with rear sights and a front rail sight on the way here. I got both those for $70 from cheaperthandirt.com. So total around $830 for my setup. I started back mid November when I got the lower receiver and lower parts kit and stock. I took a break for a couple months. But then I got the extra money the IRS took from me back, so I finished it about a week ago.
    I find myself sitting on the couch cycling the action, pretending i'm shooting, cleaning it and oiling it for no reason. Do I have the Black Rifle Disease i've heard so much about? If I do, it's really not a bad thing to have I think.

Ps.. how do you put pictures in the post????

baune

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    North side of Indy
    It was my first build. I didn't have any complications with it.
    The most difficult part was the barrel to the upper receiver.. without an upper vice block. Other than that, everyone seems to function perfectly. Uploading is in progress.

baune

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    North side of Indy
    Here she is, with her little brother my Sig P250. Again, sights are on some Fedex truck on the way here.
    100_2105.jpg

100_2108.jpg

100_2139.jpg

100_2145.jpg

100_2146.jpg

100_2149.jpg

100_2151.jpg

100_2155.jpg

100_2157.jpg

100_2162.jpg

baune

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    North side of Indy
    Stripped everything, I wanted the experience of building part-by-part. I got the BCG assembled. The only special tool I got was an AR-15 armorers wrench for the stock, barrel, and flash hider. Other than that I already had most of them the punches, hammer, and torque wrench. You don't need the lower receiver vice block, but if you do have a vice available, definately get the upper receiver vice block for the barrel and flash hider. Other than that, everything else goes together rather easily.

baune

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    North side of Indy
    that's what i'm afraid of. I've found myself researching reloading... and looking at prices of the equipment, the fiance will love this new venture I'm sure.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    that's what i'm afraid of. I've found myself researching reloading... and looking at prices of the equipment, the fiance will love this new venture I'm sure.

If she complains, just remind her that reloading is cheaper than marriage.:D:rockwoot:

Top Bottom