• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    I was wondering if there was any state law that said I have to carry ID on me at all points in time?

Also, do I have to carry my gun permit with me if I am carrying a firearm? I had an officer inform me that he could find it off my driver's license.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    1) No, you do not need to carry "papers". You may still have to "identify" yourself if detained by law enforcement, but verbally will do. Don't have the IC handy....

2) No, you no longer need to carry your LTCH at all times. The old laws said something about "in your possession", the current law reads something to the effect of "being licensed". (IC 35-47-2-1 http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/2010/title35/ar47/ch2.html

Some counties/departments can now get more than just BMV records from your license, but I don't think all can (yet).

Last edited:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I was wondering if there was any state law that said I have to carry ID on me at all points in time?

Also, do I have to carry my gun permit with me if I am carrying a firearm? I had an officer inform me that he could find it off my driver's license.

SERIOUSLY??? :dunno:

I didn't have to go past page 4 in the Carry Issues section to find at least 2 threads on this exact same topic. I could probably find more, but I don't feel like doing a search. I'm sure you know how I feel.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n_license_drivers_license_on_your_person.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...4602-do_i_have_to_show_a_cop_my_i_d_ltch.html

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Technically according to the Indiana Code, YES. BUT, there is an out if you don't have it while driving.
    IC 9-24-13-6
    Validity of licenses and permits; burden of proof; production of evidence
    Sec. 6.
    (b) A person may not be convicted of violating section 3 of this chapter if the person, within five (5) days from the time of apprehension, produces to the apprehending officer or headquarters of the apprehending officer satisfactory evidence of a permit or license issued to the person that was valid at the time of the person's apprehension.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Technically according to the Indiana Code, YES. BUT, there is an out if you don't have it while driving.
    IC 9-24-13-6
    Validity of licenses and permits; burden of proof; production of evidence
    Sec. 6.
    (b) A person may not be convicted of violating section 3 of this chapter if the person, within five (5) days from the time of apprehension, produces to the apprehending officer or headquarters of the apprehending officer satisfactory evidence of a permit or license issued to the person that was valid at the time of the person's apprehension.
    Great info, thank you for posting it. Rep added.

Blessings,
    Bill

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Years ago, drivers license were seized and stapled to all of the paperwork for an OMVWI. A pink receipt was the issued until his license was returned. You could always tell a previous drunk driver because of the holes in the license.

Top Bottom