Do I have to wear hunter orange if . . . . . .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I walked to my stand quite a few years ago in the dark. It was cold and I had my camo hood pulled over my orange hat. I am always quite anxious walking to my stands because my property abuts a public hunting area, although I hunt quite a ways off the property line.

As I was slowly making my way to the stand I could make out movement directly underneath my stand. (There was some snow cover.) As I got closer I could see it wasn't a deer but a person! Now I'm really freaked out because I have thoughts of some 15 year old hearing me snap a twig and turning around and firing randomly....

I didn't want to yell out and alert every deer in the county but I did anyway. Made my way up and it turned out to he the CO hunting! I asked him WTF he was doing standing directly under my stand. He said it seemed like a good spot. He also asked me if I had an orange hat or if I planned to hunt with my hood on. I told him when I get up into my stand I take my hood off because I don't want some trespasser shooting me.

I also asked him if I needed to have it on and visible when walking in the dark. He said no. But I think it is a personal choice by the CO how to hand out tickets. If I got one for that I would fight it and I know I would win. In the dark, unloaded weapon isn't hunting because I am not pursuing game at that point. In my stand, loaded weapon - I would lose.

JoeG1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    Greenwood
    Don't forget when you are in a ground blind you are required to have an orange square on all four sides. The square has to be 144 sq inches or 12 x 12". When walking in and out in the dark why wouldn't you want orange, you aren't hunting so why not error on the side of caution?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Don't forget when you are in a ground blind you are required to have an orange square on all four sides. The square has to be 144 sq inches or 12 x 12". When walking in and out in the dark why wouldn't you want orange, you aren't hunting so why not error on the side of caution?

I know this makes no sense, but, that hunters orange requirement is only valid if your blind is constructed of man-made materials.
    If constructed from all natural materials, the hunters orange requirement does not apply.
    It also does not apply to a blind that is more than 4 feet above grade. If you elevate your "ground blind" on a 4 foot tall platform, no orange is needed.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom