• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    What is the difference between a license and a permit? ... In all states, a driver's license is required to drive a vehicle on public roads. A permit, in contrasct [sic] to a license, also allows individuals to drive on public roads, but with a specific set of restrictions.Dec 15, 2012

Google Fu.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Is it my imagination or is the word "conceal" the most commonly misused word in the English language? The word "conceal" is a verb and the word "carry" is a verb, they are both transitive verbs to be correct (yes, I have been Googling) which require a direct object to be used properly...

So you're questioning why gun enthusiasts are misusing the language so much? Am I missing something here?

Grammar rules violate my basic human rights.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'm a "grammar enthusiast". "Conceal" is noticeable, but really only in a pretty small demographic. There are much more common errors. My favorite peeve is the misuse of apostrophes.

[video=youtube;N4vf8N6GpdM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vf8N6GpdM[/video]

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    OK. I see that your definitions of these words are more specific than definitions from traditional sources. If I accept your definitions, I also accept the distinction. Please comment on the differences between "learner's permit" and "driver's license," and why that would be a permit instead of a learner's license.

Except the Indiana Code uses the term "license" when speaking of the license to carry and being licensed. There is no such thing as a "permit" to carry a firearm in Indiana law.

Technically correct is the best kind of correct.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    th

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    Except the Indiana Code uses the term "license" when speaking of the license to carry and being licensed. There is no such thing as a "permit" to carry a firearm in Indiana law.

Technically correct is the best kind of correct.

Hmmm. Do you believe that because a term is used in the Indiana code, other words with the same meaning become incorrect?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Is it my imagination or is the word "conceal" the most commonly misused word in the English language? The word "conceal" is a verb and the word "carry" is a verb, they are both transitive verbs to be correct (yes, I have been Googling) which require a direct object to be used properly.

When someone says "conceal carry" it makes my skin crawl. In my (admittedly uneducated) mind I don't "conceal carry". I may "carry something concealed", I may participate in "concealed carry (of ______)" but "conceal carry" doesn't sound correct, it sounds wrong, very wrong, super-duper wrong.

Grammar Nazi? You betcha and quite unapologetic about it but this one is so prevalent it has me second guessing whether my meter needs re-calibrated.

Yeah, it bugs me when people talk about "can goods" and "mash potatoes" too.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    And in other news, on a local Facebook page where someone was talking about their house being robbed, someone told them to check the "pond shops".

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    What is the difference between a license and a permit? ... In all states, a driver's license is required to drive a vehicle on public roads. A permit, in contrasct [sic] to a license, also allows individuals to drive on public roads, but with a specific set of restrictions.Dec 15, 2012

Google Fu.

This is the difference between a driver's license and a learner's permit. It doesn't address any differences between a [general] permit and a [general] license. It seems they could have been called a driver's permit and a learner's license.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Hmmm. Do you believe that because a term is used in the Indiana code, other words with the same meaning become incorrect?

When it comes to the legal definitions under the law, yes. The word "permit" has no definition in the Indiana Code when it comes to carrying a handgun. There is no such term.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    OK. I see that your definitions of these words are more specific than definitions from traditional sources. If I accept your definitions, I also accept the distinction. Please comment on the differences between "learner's permit" and "driver's license," and why that would be a permit instead of a learner's license.

This is the difference between a driver's license and a learner's permit. It doesn't address any differences between a [general] permit and a [general] license. It seems they could have been called a driver's permit and a learner's license.

Why is it so important to you to prove that your imprecision of language should be tolerated. If language doesn't matter to you, why would you attempt to bring those to whom it does into submission.

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    Why is it so important to you to prove that your imprecision of language should be tolerated. If language doesn't matter to you, why would you attempt to bring those to whom it does into submission.

Language is clearly important to you, and I thought you might enjoy some discussion. I wasn't, and amn't, trying to bring you into submission. I'll back off if you feel oppressed.

Top Bottom