• dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    1. I have money to burn on a build.
    2. I have a lower sitting here.
    3. I have a suppressor on its way.

I am just having a really hard time convincing myself that an SBR is worth the hassle.

I have 3 uses for a gun.

1. HD = covered by my 16" lightweight w/ suppressor
    2. Sport = I use the same gun, or a 20" I am building up now
    3. Concealed carry = a pistol, obviously.

So what do you guys use your SBRs for?

If used for HD, and my wife shoots some burglar with it, is she in legal trouble?

Does it have to be locked up while at home? While in the car while I am at work? In a locking case?

I have the vague feeling there is a sticky somewhere I should read.....

So what do you guys grab your SBR for over a 14.5 or 16" lightweight?

What makes you "go for the short one"? :dunno:

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    4th use: Because you think it's cool and it gives you the giggles.

That's the reason I want one. ;)

Firearms don't ALL have to exist for serious reasons.

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    What type of Suppressor? Is it for the AR?

Have you run around with a suppressor on the end of an 16" AR?
    I have and it is terrible. That is why I went with an SBR. I understand you are only saving a few ounces but you are bringing the weight closer, it is a world of difference (IMO). That whole leverage thing really kicks in.

Some will argue that using a suppressor for defense is a bad idea, and in fact has been argued here a hundred times, but in the end a good shoot is a good shoot and you are using a legally owned item for a legal purpose

Depending on how it was transferred (trust, corparation, individual) you may be the only person to have access, so locked up, yes.

Last edited:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    4th use: Because you think it's cool and it gives you the giggles.

That's the reason I want one. ;)

Firearms don't ALL have to exist for serious reasons.

Gotcha. I had a feeling thats what it was all about.

Thanks bro.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    What type of Suppressor? Is it for the AR?
    Have you run around with a suppressor on the end of an 16" AR?
    I have and it is terrible. That is why I went with an SBR. I understand you are only saving a few ounces but you are bringing the weight closer, it is a world of difference (IMO). That whole leverage thing really kicks in.

Its a YHM Stainless Phantom 5.56, I have not shot it yet on the end of MY AR, but I have shot Gemtech suppressors on 16" ARs and didnt think it was that bad for an HD gun. My gun is also very muzzle light, and stock heavy, so hopefully it will balance out nicely. At least thats the plan.

Your right tho I wouldnt want to run around with it, but I have a different gun in the works for that.

And my home isnt big enough to break into a run for more than 2 steps, LOL. The idea of me bobbing and weaving thru my house at high speed is... humourous.

<WHAM> wall <WHAM> other wall < WHAM > fridge.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Of course you need an SBR!!! What on earth are you thinking? :dunno:

You must have one simply because you can, and it's damn cool! :rockwoot:

Seriously though, I'm planning on a Draco Mini SBR... it's an AK, I can get 30 - 40 round mags all day long, it's a 7.75" barrel, and with an Ace folding stock, I can, if I wanted to, carry it concealed! I'm considering this my version of the perfect SHTF/Home/Family defense weapon.

IMO you just can't get much better. Just my :twocents:

SWATDUDE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    EAST CENTRAL INDIANA
    I have an SBR that I carry while on duty in the front seat of my patrol car. It give's me more mobility to grab it and swing it around inside my car if need be. I carried a 14" M4 that is the dept. and it was just a tad bit too long. So I built my 10" barrel and bought the tax stamp and I'm glad I did. I love it. I have a couple of buddies who purchased suppressors and personally I did'nt think it suppressed the sound enough for me. It does make it quieter and it sounds like a .22 rimfire going off. But even a .22 is sometimes loud. I would rather spend the $200 stamp and $500 on a suppressor for my Ruger 10-22 and get total silence. But either way they are cool and yes they will make you giggle.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Welp here is my NFA plan, I have

a Silencerco Sparrow 22lr suppressor
    a YHM Stainless 5.56 suppressor

On their way.

The purpose for the 5.56 suppressor is not to be cool, or silent, or anything, its for shooting indoors and not blowing my 2 year olds ears out. I would like him to be able to enjoy music as a teenager, and not listen to the constant ringing I enjoy every minute of every day.

The purpose of the .22lr suppressor is to be able to practice in the yard, and teach my kids how to shoot without again, worrying about hearing damage.

I guess what I might do is SBR the lower, and just toss it in the safe for a rainy day. That sounds like the smart thing eh?

For someone who doesnt really "feel the cool factor" but might have a use for it someday, sounds like a plan.

Does it matter that the lower says "5.56" on it, when I might be shooting "6.5 BunnyThumper" someday thru it?

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I have my SBRs to return them to the way they were originally designed. Simple as that. Subguns were not meant to have a >16" barrel, and handle like crap with one on (not to mention looks ridiculous).

Plus, in my apartment the halls are tight and moving with an 20" AR (16" barrel + 4" supressor) shouldered is just not an option. So in the very real sense, if I choose to use a SBR vs a normal AR for home defense it could be the difference between having my gun ready and having it pointed at the ground when the bad guy comes face to face with me. I know which id prefer.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    After building my first AR SBR I can now say that I am truly ruined on 16" guns. They now feel long, heavy, and unwieldy. I can't even imagine trying to navigate an indoor structure with one, much less a small home.

A 10-12" SBR just feels "right", like it should've been that way from the start.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    After building my first AR SBR I can now say that I am truly ruined on 16" guns. They now feel long, heavy, and unwieldy. I can't even imagine trying to navigate an indoor structure with one, much less a small home.

A 10-12" SBR just feels "right", like it should've been that way from the start.

What ammo do you use?

Top Bottom