• ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I had loaded about 300 115 FMJ 9mm over 4.6 grains
    HP 38 and took about 100 with me to the range. They seemed a little hotter than usual so I pulled a couple and weighed the charge. They were right at 4.6 grains so I deciced to re -zero my scale and it was off by about .15.....Ugh! I re-weighed the charges and they are between 4.8-4.9. Depending on where you check this is right at Max maybe even .1 over. I didn't notice signs of over pressure (no buldging cases) and they were accurate. I am picky about my reloads and like them middle of the road. Are these too hot?
    Advice anyone?:dunno:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I had loaded about 300 115 FMJ 9mm over 4.6 grains
    HP 38 and took about 100 with me to the range. They seemed a little hotter than usual so I pulled a couple and weighed the charge. They were right at 4.6 grains so I deciced to re -zero my scale and it was off by about .15.....Ugh! I re-weighed the charges and they are between 4.8-4.9. Depending on where you check this is right at Max maybe even .1 over. I didn't notice signs of over pressure (no buldging cases) and they were accurate. I am picky about my reloads and like them middle of the road. Are these too hot?
    Advice anyone?:dunno:

Is that over the published Max Charge??? If not, I would shoot em. If they are, I'd pull them.

Last edited:

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    A CZ is a good strong action and it looks like 5.1 is a max charge of hp38 for your application I would say you are good to go.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I have a manual that has the same info. Is there a powder charge difference between loading a HP and a FMJ in the same bullet weight? I've only loaded FMJ.

The difference in bullet design amounts to different contact of the bullet in the barrel.

For ME, unless I am loading at MAX, which is seldom, I load by weight of the projectile, with less regard to bullet design.

I currently own three CZ 9MM pistols and would shoot the charge that you have loaded your 115 FMJ to in any of them. For ME, your loads ARE safe to shoot..Bill.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    The difference in bullet design amounts to different contact of the bullet in the barrel.

For ME, unless I am loading at MAX, which is seldom, I load by weight of the projectile, with less regard to bullet design.

I currently own three CZ 9MM pistols and would shoot the charge that you have loaded your 115 FMJ to in any of them. For ME, your loads ARE safe to shoot..Bill.
    Awesome! You have been a tremendous help.....Thanks alot

LeftEyeBill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Grant Co.
    Not a bad idea. Doesn't ever hurt to be double sure.

Personally even though I have a fairly nice digital scale that has (so far) never done me wrong, I keep a cheap little Lee balance beam scale as a backup to check my digital. The Lee has its limitations, and takes a bit of patients to learn to read, but is surprisingly accurate and keeps my confidence level up that my digital is doing its job right.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Personally even though I have a fairly nice digital scale that has (so far) never done me wrong, I keep a cheap little Lee balance beam scale as a backup to check my digital. The Lee has its limitations, and takes a bit of patients to learn to read, but is surprisingly accurate and keeps my confidence level up that my digital is doing its job right.
    I have a small beam scale I trust as well that I use to double-check the accuracy of my digital from time to time as well. Anybody that loads anywhere near the limits really should be double sure, imho.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom