• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    I have been pondering this for a while as opposed to spending close to 100 dollars on night sights, trying a do it myself. I've owned two glocks so far with great night sights, but i have a g23 with standard cheap inexpensive sights.

My idea is to fill in anywhere that is white with a fine tip brush of some sort
    Glock_Sight_Pic-centerhits.jpg

So that the front dot glows and the back U glows.

After painting I would wait 12 hours and then clear coat it. If it sucked, it would still be white like before and they are easily replaced if something drastic happened.

Amazon.com: Glo Paint Tube (Neutral): Home & Garden
    • Off-white in the light and neon green in the dark!
    • Glows in the dark for 24 hours after a quick 15 minute exposure to light.
    • Can be used on fabric, wood, plastic, metal, and glass.
    • Can clear coat after dry.
    • Non-flammable, non-toxic, and acid-free.
    This glo paint is made with NEXT GEN glow powder that is totally unlike the normal glow-in-the-dark material you are used to. The Next Gen powder glows an incredible 10 times brighter and the glow lasts many, many times longer than regular glow material. A quick 15 minute "charge" (exposure to light) will keep this paint glowing for 24 hours! Rechargeable over and over for a lifetime of use. Each 1 oz. tube of Glo Paint is non-toxic, non-flammable, and can be clear-coated after dry. These tubes contain waterborne acrylic paint that when applied to fabric must dry for 72 hours before washing. If you desire to clear coat after application you may do so after 12 hours dry time. Can be used on fabric, plastic, metal, glass and wood. This paint comes in a "neutral" which is an almost colorless off-white natural tone in the light and glows green in the dark. The neutral color makes this paint very versatile as it will be barely noticeable until it gets dark, then it will glow extremely brightly. Also will glow continuously under exposure to UV or black lights. Use it on sporting gear like bike helmets or rollerskates for nighttime safe fun. Use it on light switches, fuse boxes, or door handles to great nighttime visibility. Use it to decorate clothing for an amazing costume or club outfit. This paint is always ready to light your way, even when the power fails.

Has anyone else done anything like this? or thought about it?

I realize its easier to just buy them, but i'd like to try this.

What do you all think? If i decide to do it I'll be sure to post a review

foxtrot1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    iv wondered this myself, id been thinking you could get some of that shirt painting stuff thats kinda like gel and use that if ya find something that works let me know

rlynch25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    South East Indy
    I've seen this type of paint advertised several places. I understand that it needs to "absorb" light before it can glow. This is my major sticking point. If you do this please post the results.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I've seen this type of paint advertised several places. I understand that it needs to "absorb" light before it can glow. This is my major sticking point. If you do this please post the results.

Same as what he said. I would like "new" night sights on my Smith.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I've done it on my Airweight. I used a 6 hr glow fishing lure paint. It was OK, but then I figured out I really didn't like "night sights", so I took it off.

Win1300

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    New Palestine
    I've done it on my Airweight. I used a 6 hr glow fishing lure paint. It was OK, but then I figured out I really didn't like "night sights", so I took it off.

I agree, even though all colors aren't glow in the dark, you can get some bright fishing lure colors.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I have been trying to figure something out like that. Particularly something that is only observable when you are almost directly behind the sights. Still trying to figure something out myself.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    IMO, using anything other than tritium defeats the point of having night sights in the first place (to see your front sight in low/no light situations).

Anything you must "charge" before use will not be conducive to staying alive-- when you need to see your sights NOW.

If you're wanting night sights for a carry/combat pistol, don't skimp. Pay to get the real thing.

More reading:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/50706-do_it_yourself_night_sights.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/6071-night_sight_glow_paint.html

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Particularly something that is only observable when you are almost directly behind the sights. Still trying to figure something out myself.

Interesting idea. Really all you would need is tritium viles pushed way back into the tubes, thereby making them invisible unless seen from straight on. I don't know of anyone that makes them, but it seems like a simple idea.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    As esrice said, it pointless. The glow in the dark paints never last as long as they say, and aren't nearly as bright as Tritium night sights.

There is no reason to have night sights except for a defensive situation in low-light (does anybody really target shoot in the dark?). In a defensive situation, are your glow in the dark sights really going to be freshly charged?

FYI, tritium night sights constantly emit light, no charging necessary. The half-life of tritium is about 10 years I believe, so 10 years after you buy them, they'll still be half as bright as they were the day you installed them. Lets say you pay $70 for your night sights, that is roughly $.02 per day. I think for $.02 per day I will stick with the night sights.

emrock32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    FW IN
    If you haver a glock then I would get true night sights. I have a CPX-1 that i posted a couple weeks ago about doing this. Im painting them since they make zero accessories for my gun besides holsters... But if your tight on money then i can see where your coming from. But the fact that you need to charge before using is that only downside im looking at. Ive seen some glow in the dark paint that is said to go 12 hours. I would like to order some of it but its expensive. I think I would "charge" the light to them before dusk to have them emmiting all night. Also I was looking through the cabelas shooting catalog tonight and they had a set for I believe under 10$ but i cant recall. It came with primer and paint. I'll do a little more research before I end up ordering paint and doing it on my gun. I'll give examples of my room-mates glock 9mm with actual night sights.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    For a carry pistol, it would be tough to get that 15 or 20 minute charge if the pistol is in a good holster. Depending on the holster, the front sight is covered almost all the time and the rear sight could be covered also. I carry a Glock 30 with a thumb break. Both sights are covered.

I recently posted a brief tirade on "gun snobs" but this is one case maybe I am one too. True night sights beat any "paint on" because in reduced light situations you are really trusting your life on/to an optional item.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I recently posted a brief tirade on "gun snobs" but this is one case maybe I am one too.

Generally speaking, "gun snobs" refers to those who hold items in great regard because of their high price or "cool guy" factor only, while disregarding the item's true toughness/value/worth, etc. Looking down on others with 'inferior' items is also a sign of a "gun snob".

You sir, are recommending an item based on its practical merits, which does not put you into the "gun snob" category. :yesway:

:ingo:

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    I don't know why but it seems odd to me that anyone willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a handgun to protect themselves and their families would get miserly over the cost of something as necessary as dependable sights.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I don't know why but it seems odd to me that anyone willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a handgun to protect themselves and their families would get miserly over the cost of something as necessary as dependable sights.

Part of my problem is that I haven't found anyone who makes sights for my gun .

The other part is that I'm a cheap SOB and HATE the idea of paying $100 bucks for a gram or two of glow in the dark metal .

Top Bottom