• ...and so much more!
  • GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I carry a Glock, so I think you can figure out what I put first. :D

That does not mean, however, that I don't have an appreciation for aesthetically appealing guns.
    Hey, I'm an unapologetic Glock-lover myself!! :yesway:

And I hope no one thinks that I'm asking whether they put appearance ahead of function - that's an easy answer (unless it's purely a display/trophy fiream). I'm only asking if folks consider aesthetics when making their firearm purchasing decisions.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    IM Guilty! I have ordered a hand gun and a rifle based on pictures alone. Most gun enthusiest and even dealers have never handled a VZ-58. But It looked so cool I had to have one. And its become my favorite rifle.
    I had never handled a CZ-75b but ran across pictures of one in all stainless steal and fell in love. A guy on the CZ-forums was from Hamond and mentioned he seen 1 left at the cabelas up there. So I called and they over-nighted it to Bradis. I never held one till that day and now I never put it down. Its my favorite carry gun. Yes looks count!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Ugly IS beautiful. But only if the ugly is caused by function. That is why the AK is the most beautiful of all rifles.

There is artistic beautiful where skill, talent, and even expense is a part of the creation when the maker has the talent and skill to make it all worth it and resulting in a piece of stunning yet functional art.

There is engineering beautiful, where simplicity, solution working, and foresight are a part of the beauty despite the maker having any more skill than a drunken monkey on crack and resulting in a piece of pressed and welded art.

I tend towards the latter.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I carry a Glock, so I think you can figure out what I put first. :D

That does not mean, however, that I don't have an appreciation for aesthetically appealing guns.

Pretty much how I feel. I certainly don't carry my XD9sc for looks. It's a great example of function over form. I do, however, like a good looking gun. 1911s and almost all revolvers are things of beauty to me, not to mention imminently functional.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i have 2 kinds of guns. pretty admire only guns, and user guns. i have a sig that goes on the dash of the truck or under the seat, in the glove box of the gator, or on the console of a dusty tractor. it is beat up and looks horible, but it shoots great and never fails me

CaNdYMaN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    north side.
    i like good looking guns. i carry a glock every day. i honestly dont think its ugly. i think the bigger glocks are ugly. i carry a 27. but the function makes me like it even more. although if the slide was chrome that would be awesome.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Sexy like this????

005.jpg

:patriot::rockwoot:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    The look of a gun gets consideration when I'm purchasing. I won't want to fire it much if I can't stand looking at it. Several factors come in to play first, but looks is on the list.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    That's the nice thing about our passion for firearms..... we can have just about whatever we want. For me, I think that since the vast majority of sensory input is visual, looks play a large initial part in selection. Then I'll get my hands on one if at all possible, and see what I think. Then I'll do some reasearch to assess how dependable and functional the gun may, or may not be. I've only bought one gun primarily for looks, and that was a nickel-plated Colt Python, that was virtually brand new..... and I blame that on Britton at 21st Century.....:rolleyes:

It's like buying shoes.... not everyone has the same criteria, and that's fine. I'm not payin' for yer shoes, either........ ;)

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I carry and shoot a glock, so function matters most, as I grow and get room in my safe, I will have several examples of " pretty guns" sig x-6, STI 1911's Colt revolvers, but right now function matters first.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Function is probably the most important factor in my purchases, but it can't look clunky and ugly.

Plus, everytime I see Bigum post his gun it makes me want to run out and buy one. I mean, who wouldn't want a gun that looks like that with SIG quality? :dunno:

I like the way all of my guns look.

But I really like the way some of them look, like this...

2226side2.jpg

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Not starting a war here - just my 2 cents

Yes looks affect what I carry or will buy. I won't own a Glock because I think they are ugly. I know they are reliable but I don't want one. Guns are supposed to be made out of steel - but what the hell do I know I am old and gray! :dunno:

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Carry gun, no.
    BBQ and range gun needs to look pretty.
    Something about a bead blasted stainless steel frame with a dark wood grips just appeals to my inner sense of goodlookingness.

Not mine and not beadblasted but you get the idea.
    610g.jpg

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've always thought that a firearm is the ultimate "function over form" device. Who cares how it looks if it performs flawlessly?

At the same time, I've caught myself really admiring certain firearms, at least in part, based on their appearance. And I've also read (and participated in) several threads on this site thar have talked about how great-looking certain guns are (e.g., the Kimber line of 1911s being discussed in the current "I am Ruined" thread).

So I'm totally curious - what's your opinion - how much have "looks" factored into your firearm purchasing decisions? Be honest. ;)

I only ever bought one gun in my life I wasn't intending to shoot the heck out of it the first chance I got. I'm good look'n enough, I don't need no more decorations.

Top Bottom