• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    They use tourniquets in surgery when working on a specific limb. I know for a fact that people come out with all of their limbs. I would bet it has much more to do with the amount of time the tourniquet is left on versus using one to stop blood loss.

You are completely correct, I was taught to use the tourniquet in first aid classes in the 1950's. However it is critical that be released after a period of time, as I recall 10 to 15 minutes was the max time allowed, or the limb will "die" due to lack of blood flow. As there were several cases of limb loss due to failure to loosen and re-tighten the device often in cases where a tourniquet was not really required (direct pressure would have halted the blood loss sufficiently) the practice was discouraged in following years. In cases of total amputation or massive injuries, it is still the only method to prevent enough blood loss to sustain life. As proof all medics in the service carry tourniquets in their med kits!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    As proof all medics in the service carry tourniquets in their med kits!

In a deployed state (Afg or Iraq etc) not just medics but everybody has them on their person and readily accessible.

There were road-clearing crews going out and sweeping for IEDs on a daily basis. Rumor had it when I was over there that those guys went out with TQ PRE-Attached to each of their limbs so all they had to do was tighten it when they drove over an IED.

Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    As a Paramedic. Our system uses CATs and Israeli pressure bandages. I have personally used both. The CATs work very well and bleeding slowed alot. They were artery hits and needed bleeding control quickly. Cheap and easy to use.

That being said you need to be informed on their use. You can make a very good trauma kit for like 10 bucks that can handle alot. I did a podcast a year ago on it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So we've had a rash of men shot in the...gibblets lately. The most recent had an entry in his lower backside and an exit through his right family jewel. So guys, do you want a tourniquet or no?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    So we've had a rash of men shot in the...gibblets lately. The most recent had an entry in his lower backside and an exit through his right family jewel. So guys, do you want a tourniquet or no?

If this is a matter of what I want. I don't want to be shot in the jewels.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    That would be more of an iguinal injury, so no. Can't get a TQ there...unless you mean directly around the sac...then no because that's just cruel and unusual.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    What a coincidence this came up. What do you guys think of the RAT? I recently was introduced to the RAT. I think it's easier to apply than the CAT and by virtue of wrapping it multiple times, it compresses across a width of 1-2". Just the fact that its simpler makes it stand out to me as a good option. It's so quick and easy, I've found myself using it for blood draws, rather than the disposable tubing option or using the sphygmamometer cuff.
    What I like about the RAT is the way it is easier to pack and carry. Several can fit in the space on a single CAT or SOF-T -- and a single RAT can 'get smaller' to fit as part of a small Blow-Out Kit. But I prefer employing the CAT because I think it is easier (more intuitive).

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The US Military has changed their tune on the use of tourniquets. They USED to really preach the "last resort" thing, but recently they're a lot quicker to use them. I'll try to find documentation and citations, but I've just recently had this conversation with a couple of military docs, so it's pretty fresh in my mind....

FYI, most recent Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC) Guidelines - http://www.specialoperationsmedicine.org/Documents/TCCC/TCCC Guidelines 150429.pdf

YayGuns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2013
    Louisville / Camp Atterbury
    Much of the ROE on tourniquets has changed since there were some studies done. It used to be a belief that if you applied a tourniquet, the patient would loose the limb, however more recent studies showed that it is not necessarily the case until it has been applied for a few hours (also depends upon the amount of damage to the extremity).

It's changed enough that what used to be taught as ABC's (Airway, Breathing, Circulation) is now HABC (Hemoridge aka stop the bleeding, Airway, Breathing, Circulation).

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Not a medic here.

My understanding is that a tourniquet pretty much guarantees the loss of a limb because of the severe nerve and tissue damage they cause by cutting off all blood flow. They should only be used when direct pressure has no chance to stop bleeding and severe blood loss poses a risk of death.

They are basically a last resort.

Considering that both shark attack victims ended up losing limbs anyway, a tourniquet was probably the right call. Because the dispatcher was not there, they were likely being cautious.

This is a good place to start to debunk the myths you have been sold. I have personally taken a tactical first responder class (actually it was this class) and they Rangers and others teaching the class actually encourage the use of tourniquets specifically the CAT tourniquet which is included in the kit we got with class.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    I was taking a training class from a central indiana company last year when we were going over medic plans in case someone was shot. A female who claimed to be a paramedic told me during one of the drills that she would not reccomend using a tourniquet. I then asked what about chest seals, and she advised she wouldn't tell a non-paramedic to apply that because they havent been trained to use it. I was completely stunned that anyone, much less a paramedic, would tell someone not to use those items. Her "company" also made some medic bags for this range which did not include a tourniquet. If you don't think tourniquets are useful or effective, you need to quit carrying a gun.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I was taking a training class from a central indiana company last year when we were going over medic plans in case someone was shot. A female who claimed to be a paramedic told me during one of the drills that she would not reccomend using a tourniquet. I then asked what about chest seals, and she advised she wouldn't tell a non-paramedic to apply that because they havent been trained to use it. I was completely stunned that anyone, much less a paramedic, would tell someone not to use those items. Her "company" also made some medic bags for this range which did not include a tourniquet. If you don't think tourniquets are useful or effective, you need to quit carrying a gun.

This whole thread is all because of lawyers and liabilities. :xmad:

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    This whole thread is all because of lawyers and liabilities. :xmad:

Live or die, you or someone is going to bleed out in 3-5min., after about 2min. you won't have enough energy to apply a tourniquet, I chose to live, pull that SOFTT-W, wrap the **** out of it, give it a twist, and lock it in and start making plans to get to help!

Top Bottom