Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    "These people who work in those buildings are not innocent victims. If they work in the federal building, they're the very people that are typing the letters, that are making the phone calls, that are getting your land taken away from you, that are calling you up on Internal Revenue Service, that want to confiscate all of your guns. These are the same people who
    womp up charges against you. These are the very same people that are all involved, every one of them. I don't care whether they are any more than a clerk or the high muckety-muck, or the guy out there who's got BATF painted on this back, and he's the one who's knocking your door down. These people are not innocent victims. These are people that operate and move the system against you and I. These are people that have sold out to the system. These are the people that are against you and I."

--John Dayl, on the Oklahoma City Bombing, talk radio host for KFYI, Phoenix, from July 21, 1996.

Yeti

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    New Haven
    I just went through Nashville and NYC. I was talking with some of the TSA and they said the media is blowing this way out of proportion... They use it only if they cant get through the metal detector and/ or dont want a pat down. I honestly dont see a huge issue.. by them doing their job, we fly safer....

TSA= SS? -> I would say a little over the top.. just my:twocents:

time for me to leave the political threads...:ranton:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Bill,

I see your point to a small degree but here's where I disagree. I could care less what happens to my sack of skin after I'm dead. Secondly, if an individual was leading me to slaughter, they're the last person I want standing over my corpse reciting a prayer. If they didn't give enough of a **** to help me while I was living, then they shouldn't when I'm dead.

I'm not a student of the Jewish religion so I apologize profusely if this post insults it. That is not my intent here. There's an old saying that in order for evil triumph, good men must do nothing. I have a family member that is dead to me in a family sense but even then, if I saw her in danger of her life, I could not stand idly by and allow it to happen.

I have a hard time understanding why the Jewish people did not fight harder against the Nazis. I think the biggest part was incrementalism. The Germans didn't just start with full on extermination. It was the ghettos, then the camps, etc. Nobody could fathom what was in store for them. This is where the slippery slope and incrementalism needs to be stopped now. What's next for TSA? Will all passengers be subjected to colonoscopies and pelvic exams to make sure that we aren't body packing? If these workers think forcing these indignaties on us is worth a pay check, is it that great of a leap to think they'd rather work for a dictator than be an enemy of the state?

First, the SKs, who I must admit I'd never heard of before today, were, as noted above, not the ones who led anyone anywhere, but rather who went into the "showers" and removed the bodies for burning. You mention that you couldn't just stand and watch it happen. I can't say I condone it, but I think I understand it in that when you are one small, weakened person who is confronted by an overwhelming force in the person of 3, 4, 5, or 50 large, well-trained, well-fed, armed guards, especially if someone else has tried to stand up to them and been literally beaten to death while you watched to make an example of them, the likelihood you're going to stand up to be next is probably not high. It makes far more sense to act like you're going along and save your strength for a day when you may actually have an advantage.

Why didn't they fight back more? All I can do is guess, but my guess would be, as you said, incrementalism. German culture practically worshipped and worships order and the rule of law, and so the rules and the law were slowly made more restrictive.

IIRC, didn't the "gun control" of the Weimar Republic serve the purposes of the Third Reich? What better way to make government more powerful when they hold the most powerful weapons available than to make the people weaker, more helpless, more dependent?

I don't pretend to have all the answers here, just my own best guesses.

Blessings,
    Bill

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Bill,

One of the major points in this movie is that this particular group of sk's were left to live much longer than any previous group and they were expecting to be executed for a fresh group of sk's anyway. According to the movie, the sk's were the ones running them through the delousing rooms, etc. One SK beat a new inmate to death because he was telling the other inmates that the sk was lying to them and that they were really there to die. Throughout the movie, the sk's were morally troubled about what they were doing.

If I feel like I'm going to die anyway, I'm not going to aid my enemy in their ability to kill my brethren. A tyrant can issue any order he wants but if those working under him are unwilling to carry it out, good luck to the tyrant to do it himself. A king can order that all drivers of red vehicles be drug out of their vehicles and executed on site but if his men refuse to follow that edict, what power does that edict have? Is the king going to go out and do it himself? In my opinion, those who took any part in making the concentration camps run is just as guilty as Hitler himself.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Bill,

One of the major points in this movie is that this particular group of sk's were left to live much longer than any previous group and they were expecting to be executed for a fresh group of sk's anyway. According to the movie, the sk's were the ones running them through the delousing rooms, etc. One SK beat a new inmate to death because he was telling the other inmates that the sk was lying to them and that they were really there to die. Throughout the movie, the sk's were morally troubled about what they were doing.

If I feel like I'm going to die anyway, I'm not going to aid my enemy in their ability to kill my brethren. A tyrant can issue any order he wants but if those working under him are unwilling to carry it out, good luck to the tyrant to do it himself. A king can order that all drivers of red vehicles be drug out of their vehicles and executed on site but if his men refuse to follow that edict, what power does that edict have? Is the king going to go out and do it himself? In my opinion, those who took any part in making the concentration camps run is just as guilty as Hitler himself.

I didn't see the movie, as I said. As for morally troubled, I can only make reference to my original EMT class. We had to do clinicals, which involved going to an EMS station and waiting for calls to come in. During this time, I thought about the fact that I was there, waiting for people to either be sick, hurt, or otherwise in need of medical help and there I was, hoping it would happen.. I felt like a vulture! It took me a while to work through that and realize that I wasn't waiting and hoping for them to be hurt, I was waiting, knowing it would eventually happen and hoping that it would happen on my shift only because there was help I could give them.

While you're correct that without people to enforce those edicts, the edicts themselves are meaningless, but the other half of that is to know that there will always be some people who will be all too pleased to abuse any power they're given (a la Katrina). Better, I think, to have people who may do some of the acts asked of them (such as writing traffic citations or asking to see a LTCH just for someone OCing), but will refuse to do any of the more serious things they're ordered to do (such as gun confiscations.)

:twocents:

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    I read the book the Grey Zone .. the movie was pretty close ... at time it made my hair on my arms goose bump . I believe that no words or movie could even scratch the top .
    Duncan

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    I read the book the Grey Zone .. the movie was pretty close ... at time it made my hair on my arms goose bump . I believe that no words or movie could even scratch the top .
    Duncan

Top Bottom