• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    In regards to magazine capacity do you +1? In that I mean, with an 8 round magazine do you fully load it, chamber a round, then drop the mag and put one more in? Hence...fully loaded mag with one in the pipe? Is it less stress on the magazine if you don't do that? Or does it matter?

yup - sure do!

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    +1 here to...... the last thing I want to worry about after fumbling around with shirt or jacket to even get the firearm out is racking the slide in an already highly stressful situation. Not to mention if I should have something on my hands to hinder it further. This is purely just my personal preference. I just want it there and ready should I ever need it. As far as safety, I feel my quality holster does a great job of that on both my Glock 23 and 27. :twocents:

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    No. When I read your post I remembered that when I was an armorer I used to see some of the guys arm up, drop their mag and switch for a full one. I used to shake my head thinking, "If 15 doesn't get it, one more isn't going to help." I think differently now, but having said that, I must admit that I do not go 10+1 in my Glock 26. No real reason. I am considering 6+1 for my revolver though. :)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    +1 here to...... the last thing I want to worry about after fumbling around with shirt or jacket to even get the firearm out is racking the slide in an already highly stressful situation. Not to mention if I should have something on my hands to hinder it further. This is purely just my personal preference. I just want it there and ready should I ever need it. As far as safety, I feel my quality holster does a great job of that on both my Glock 23 and 27. :twocents:

The OP is not talking about the "+1" in the chamber.
    He's asking how many people, once they load their mag and then load one round in the chamber, remove the mag and add another round in the mag (since the one round on top of the mag is now in the chamber).

If you have a gun with a 15 rounds capacity you have a 15 + 1.
    But if you rack the slide on a fully loaded mag then you have 14 + 1, you need to remove the mag again and add another round to get to the 15 + 1.

That's what the OP is talking about.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Always +1. If the good engineers designed the gun to be carried with one in the pipe and designed the mag for a specific capacity, then who am I to argue. If the mag says 16 rounds and it works with 16 rounds when I practice, then I carry with 16+1.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    I have always had one in the chamber and a full magazine. I have never had an issue. I do try to shoot every couple of months to change out ammo with those magazines.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    12+1 and 0-2 14 round mags to follow. That idea of having a special mag to +1 from is interesting. I think I have a california mag for the thing around here I could use for that.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    Um Nooooo.........

I want to carry one in the chamber, then remove the mag to replace it, so the gun has 6 in the mag and one in the chamber- hence 6 +1.

The Taurus is a DAO only on the first shot, therefore, once the slide is racked, the hammer is fully cocked and I most certainly DO NOT want to run around with a fully loaded, fully cocked hammer for my EDC!! You cannot manually lower the hammer on this gun after racking it unless you fire it.

As I said, I want to have the gun fully loaded with one in the chamber (7 total) and a relaxed hammer, so when the trigger is first pulled, it cocks the hammer in DAO mode until the first shot is fired, then the semi-auto rack takes over for the next shot.

That was my question..... Is it possible to do this? If so, I don't see how, but hopefully someone maybe has tried something else that I haven't yet.

Alright Backfire, I'm a little confused. Firstly about the hostility, but it sounds like you two have some history, so I'm not going to touch that.

Secondly, If your pistol is DAO (as is my PF9), than the very long and deliberate trigger pull acts as a safety, and that long trigger pull is that way on all shots fired, not just the first. I'm confused as to how a DAO pistol can only be so on the first shot, unless your pistol is mechanically different than the ones I have experienced. In my experience, DAO means your trigger sets your hammer on every shot, as in revolvers, or you don't have the opportunity to set the hammer, as in the shrouded hammered pistols (when I dry fire the PF9, the hammer falls, and I have to rack the slide again to set it).

Yes, the hammer will fall on the live round, when the trigger is pulled some distance and with some force. That is what it is designed to do. There is no way to drop the hammer on a live round without it firing when the hammer is shrouded and there is no other safety. DAO pistols are designed to be carried with 1 in the tube, cocked, and ready to rock. If you aren't comfortable carrying that way, than drop the hammer prior to loading the mag and roll with what you can carry, and be prepared to rack that slide as fast as you possibly can when the time comes.

If I can offer some advice, take it or leave it, but I'm not trying to offend here, but, trust in the design of the DAO, know that it won't go off on it's own, and holster up with 1 in the chamber... Either that, or get a revolver and toss the entire +1 argument out the window.

Last edited:

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Alright Backfire, I'm a little confused. Firstly about the hostility, but it sounds like you two have some history, so I'm not going to touch that.

Secondly, If your pistol is DAO (as is my PF9), than the very long and deliberate trigger pull acts as a safety, and that long trigger pull is that way on all shots fired, not just the first. I'm confused as to how a DAO pistol can only be so on the first shot, unless your pistol is mechanically different than the ones I have experienced. In my experience, DAO means your trigger sets your hammer on every shot, as in revolvers, or you don't have the opportunity to set the hammer, as in the shrouded hammered pistols (when I dry fire the PF9, the hammer falls, and I have to rack the slide again to set it).

Yes, the hammer will fall on the live round, when the trigger is pulled some distance and with some force. That is what it is designed to do. There is no way to drop the hammer on a live round without it firing when the hammer is shrouded and there is no other safety. DAO pistols are designed to be carried with 1 in the tube, cocked, and ready to rock. If you aren't comfortable carrying that way, than drop the hammer prior to loading the mag and roll with what you can carry, and be prepared to rack that slide as fast as you possibly can when the time comes.

If I can offer some advice, take it or leave it, but I'm not trying to offend here, but, trust in the design of the DAO, know that it won't go off on it's own, and holster up with 1 in the chamber... Either that, or get a revolver and toss the entire +1 argument out the window.

Thanks and to clarify, I've got no history with anyone here, I was just responding in the same manner for which the post was directed at me.

As far as the Taurus goes, that gun does act a bit different than what I thought it should and after scouring the internet to find the answer why, I found a video produced by a free-lance magazine article writer for the gun mags that pointed out the difference in his video. I didn't even know the gun did that, but after watching it, I became "aware" and was not pleased about it once I knew what to look for.

In fact, the person in the video stated that he accidentally found this negative "feature" while testing the gun for the article write-up, where he told the magazine he was writing for, that they had two options: Either he had to mention this "feature" in his article he was writing for them -OR- he wasn't writing the article for them at all.

They chose another writer.....

I'll try and find the online video when I get a chance, but in the meantime, I don't want to hi-kack the OP's thread with my gun issue, so let's just carry-on with his topic. I'll figure the thing out one way or another and possibly report back in another thread of my own regarding that. Cool? :-)

Thanks! :patriot:

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    The OP is not talking about the "+1" in the chamber.
    He's asking how many people, once they load their mag and then load one round in the chamber, remove the mag and add another round in the mag (since the one round on top of the mag is now in the chamber).

If you have a gun with a 15 rounds capacity you have a 15 + 1.
    But if you rack the slide on a fully loaded mag then you have 14 + 1, you need to remove the mag again and add another round to get to the 15 + 1.

That's what the OP is talking about.

I should have clarified further that I do add the additional round to the magazine. I have just read a lot from people stating they wont go +1 because they feel it is not safe to have one in the chamber but they do load the mag to full capacity. It was my understanding that another poster was not comfortable with a round in the chamber due to not being comfortable with cocked and lock on their particular firearm as they had to rack the slide to get the +1 one into the chamber. Thus giving the feeling of having a fully cocked hammer over a live round, all the while removing the mag to add the additional round.

Last edited:

magiaaron

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    I carry fully loaded magazines with one in the chamber. I like the idea of having whatever advantage I can. With something like a 12 round magazine, 1 extra round really is a pretty big percentage increase.

-Aaron

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    First and foremost, no need for the other smartazz, moronic post in the "liar" thread you made in reference to my question here. Foolish and unecessary... :rolleyes:

Obviously it was.

Secondly, I'm fully aware of the nomenclature of the gun that I OWN, as well as, I certainly know how to operate it and fully know how IT operates. I don't need to read specs on the internet to know how it works... :rolleyes:

"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Perhaps I need to handle this with kid gloves, but no you don't know how the operation of your firearm works if you think that a DAONLY gun can fire in single action. If so you need to send it back to the manufacturer pronto.

What I'm trying to get across to anyone that can help is, I'd like to carry my gun with 6 +1, but don't want the hammer cocked when doing it.

1. If I'm holding the empty gun in my hand with the slide closed and the hammer uncocked, a full stroke of the trigger will activate the hammer in DAO mode.

2. If I take the same situation and now add a full mag., racking the slide to put one in the chamber, the hammer cock rail under the slide WILL fully cock the hammer in preparation for that round to be fired.

Again if this is happening, SEND IT BACK TO THE MANUFACTURER.

Get it now???

Yes I do, Do you?

The only way I can think of doing this on my gun, is to *slowly* rack the slide to install a round and then *slowly* closing it, while holding the trigger, so the sear will disengage from the hammer while the slide is moving forward.

THEN, I believe I could actually have a chambered round with the hammer down, where the gun will operate in the DAO mode as I want it to. I guess I need to practice with it more to figure it out.

Please, Please, Please, do NOT do this. That is NOT how the firearm was designed to operate. If you are not comfortable carrying one in the chamber on a DAO firearm, may I suggest one with a decocker, so then you can be sure that it is decocked and still have one in the chamber. Such as my Taurus 24/7 LS/DS (Long Slide/Decocker Safety), or one of the multitude of other manufacturer that make pistols with decockers.

By the way junior, "hypothetically speaking", I own everything I say I do......

"Junior".... ha.....

Have a happy holiday season, and please be safe.

Top Bottom