Do You Actively Watch for Others Carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Last summer my wife and I took an NRA sponsored training course in MN to get our MN permits. We do a lot of fishing up there, and they don't recognize our IN permits, or my FL permit, or my AZ permit.

They mentioned in the course to watch for others carrying. Of course its easy to spot OC if you are watching for it, but it takes a little more attention to detail to spot a CC.

Since then I try to remember to watch and so far I have spotted several fellow Americans practicing their 2A rights in a CC mode.

Last weekend my wife and I were sitting in the lounge of a local hotel having a glass of wine. We were seated at a table and a couple of gents were standing at the bar. One of them was wearing a Hawaiin shirt not tucked in. I noticed what I first thought was cell phone under his shirt, but then noticed it was too far back on the hip, and was definitely the print of the handle of a pistol. I found it very encouraging and reinforcing to see another person out in public who recognizes the importance of practicing our Constitutional freedoms.

I would have said something to him to show my approval but he was immersed in a conersation and I did not want to interrupt.

Just curious how many folks out there make a point to watch. It's very interesting what you notice when you look.

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    its all about attention to detail i like to see if i can spot someone carrying when out and about its almost like a game to me the wife kinda gets annoyed sometimes i am ok at spotting people carrying but i know there a lot of people that i probablly miss.

whoismunky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Bloomington,IN
    I always watch for it; it's just been my natural operation since I started carrying. I guess it's just for my own amusement since I wouldn't ever go bring up their CC to a stranger, although I'm sure it's a good bonus to my situational awareness

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I am constantly scanning for not only those carrying, but looking at exits/entrances, as well as anything/anyone else that might be a threat. Usually if someone is acting suspicious enough for you to easily spot them, they are probably up to no good.

You all kept your head on a swivel, and that's what you gotta do when you find yourself in a vicious cock fight.
    -Ron Burgandy

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah, I'm sort of a people watcher anyway. So as part of my attempt to stay aware of my surroundings, I make cursory checks.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    ya im also one of the situational awarness guys. im not military or LE, just something inside me has always been a situational awareness type of person.

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    I have only seen one guy concealed carrying since I started looking about a year and a half ago. But then I don't get out much.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Like Jetgirl, Stainer and BC said. Always aware, always scanning, and always checking for potential allies or problems. Being aware of who has or may have a gun is part of situational awareness, IMHO.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Yeah I look for people carrying. I'm a natural people watcher wherever I go. Though I only developed situational awareness after I made the decision to carry.

Bahrutile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    I'm always on the look out, just to see it for my self. I go out of my way to carry where people can't tell, though I always think people see it, though most people wouldn't notice unless it's pointed out to them.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    Empty Hands I get to go home to my son. :)
    I also scan people, exits, cover and concealment places. Where I can safely stash my son for WSTF.

I also look closer at *HOW* people walk and move. You can tell if someone has some martial training. Good Shin Nyo (mindfullness), and having a 3 year old who has "OH shiney I want!" and is very fast when he wants to be.

Top Bottom