Do you believe in other life in the Universe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Given enough time, and enough iterations, there's a statistical chance. The question is whether there has been enough time, and enough iterative cycles.

I think.

Not necessarily, since each occurrence is an independent event. Each event is just as unlikely as the last.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Sure, but eventually the roulette ball settles on green. ;)

possibly...I'll give you that there is a mathematical chance, if not a realistic chance.

All of that aside, your process needs to be repeatable and stable, not a maybe it'll happen once in a billion-trillion times.

If it was just random, then by definition it can't be randomly stable.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Gas cools as it rises, doesn't it? At least that is what I remember from thermodynamics.

As it expands. Though rises implies expansion, I think. Think can of butane. Spray liquid butane on a surface, surface gets mighty cold. Conversely, the chambers on your air compressor get pretty warm as you shrink the volume of the air contained in them.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Hot gas "rises" in our frame of reference only because the Earth's gravity. Hot gas is less dense, and is displaced by cooler gas(es) as they are pulled down. No gravity, and it would not "rise". Only expand.

Gas DOES cool as it expands. Formula is PV=nRT (Ideal Gas Law).

P= pressure
    V = volume
    n = amount of gas in moles
    R = gas constant
    T = temperature

In the butane example, the surface the butane was on cools because the butane takes in energy as it phase-shifts from liquid to gas, and then expands. Not EXACTLY the gas law, but whatever.

In the compressed air example, volume decreases, pressure increases, and the amount of gas (air) in the volume increases (you are adding air to the compressor). To balance the equation temp must go up.

Wow. Been a while since I've actually looked at this. We use it all every day, though. Just don't realize it.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Given enough time, and enough iterations, there's a statistical chance. The question is whether there has been enough time, and enough iterative cycles.

I think.

Yep.....

bIVmMTh.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My daughter and I just had a conversation yesterday about the vastness of the universe. What (I think) a lot of folks fail to realize is the size and scope we are talking about. The known universe (which isn't saying much, really) has a volume on the order of 4 x 10^80 cubic meters. It has been around something on the order of 13.8B (1.38 X 10^10) years.

When we talk about statistics and "chance" at these scales, and try to relate it to something like Roulette, we have to realize.... Every combination has been tried by now, many, many millions/billions/trillions of times.

Of course, the flip side of this is that the chances of us actually finding anything else in all that vastness is inversely small. We, in all our hubris, are not even a pixel in the big picture.

One of my favorite Calvin and Hobb's pics:
    a_wide_universe_by_grouwel_d4cn2vy-pre.jpg

Top Bottom