Do you buy a license even if you don't go?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    For several years now the only hunting I have done is a couple days of squirrel hunting in August. The last two years I didn't even do that. I keep thinking I should support the DNR even if I'm not planning on going hunting or fishing. But money is pretty tight.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    For several years now the only hunting I have done is a couple days of squirrel hunting in August. The last two years I didn't even do that. I keep thinking I should support the DNR even if I'm not planning on going hunting or fishing. But money is pretty tight.
    Is there any free ranges in any state parks near you if so get a park pass.
    I personally use my license but i do have two of them one for in and one for ky for fishing.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I always buy hunting and fishing license, even if I do not get the opportunity to go. If I get the chance, I don't want to have the lack of a license to keep me from the hunt.

Udderchaos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    NW Indy
    I had time to go fishing earlier this year, so I bought a fishing license. Now, I drive by a few lakes on my way to work, with no time to fish...

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I live on a lake, so I need at least a fishing licence. I buy a combination licence just in caseI get the chance to hunt. I use to hunt a lot, but with illness of late, I just can't right now.

I am getting better, so hope lives on...LOL If I can not use the hunting part, at least I feel I am supporting the DNR in a small way.

Fabiga5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    Porter County
    The last two years I have bought the combo hunting/fishing license but only got out once for coyote hunting with my youngest son. I agree with Leo though, easiest for me to just have it in case the opportunity arises to get out there again.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I always buy them, because I always plan to go...

There have been a few seasons that I have not made the time and "wasted" my license...

I figure my contribution to the DNR comes in the form of population control, and if I buy a license or tags and do not use them I have failed.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    Here in the last few years I have bought a couple licenses that I didnt use but that was mostly for fishing. I still buy a combo license for hunting and fishing and then I also buy deer tags for every season. I also hunt out of state quite a bit, so as of right now I have an Indiana hunting/fishing license, my Indiana Archery Tag, a Kentucky Hunting license with Turkey and Deer Tags, an Ohio Deer License, an Illinous deer license, and a tennessee Deer license and fishing license. Gets a bit overwhelming but I use all of them atleast once. Traveling to hunt is kinda my way to get a vacation from work.

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    If you don't buy them you won't go. At least if you do have them you can go at any time.
    It is nice that the dnr has a free hunting weekends for kids so you can take them at least if money is tight. And the free fishing weekend.
    If Mitch would stop wasting money on rails to trails programs then maybe the licenses prices could go down.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    I'm 72 and I pay every year even though I don't need one legally. They give me a sheet of paper which looks like a license that says "Voluntary Contribution". I get to feel like I did a small part in supporting wildlife. It's more than most of the so called conservationists do. :):)

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I have purchased them in the past when living in other states as a second form of ID to keep handy. Came in handy just in case a friend invited me to come on a hunt with him.

browncoat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    north indy
    I have bought the combo for the last three years and only this year was the first time I used the hunting portion. Course it's called hiking with a firearm if you don't shoot anything. :-p

Top Bottom