Do you buy the extended warranty at Best Buy or your favorite electronics store?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you buy the extended warranty at Best Buy or your favorite electronics store?

• Total voters

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    ok as a former best buy employee and knowing the scheme. here is my advice.

1) never buy it on anything except laptop computers.
    2) only buy it on laptops if you plan on keeping it for several years.
    3) after purchasing the plan for your laptop wait 6 months then call and get a new battery for your laptop. You will now have two batteries for your laptop. This excludes apple products which they didn't sell when I worked there.

Read carefully as your mileage may very and rules may have changed in the last year or two.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Never. The ONLY time I've ever seen anyone buy the "extended warranty" on anything, the store (wal-mart, I know, I know!) did not honor it when something had happened that should have been covered. We were forced to buy a new camera at that point. Needless to say we didn't buy the new camera there.

I will say, even though it's not an electronic, the only time I've ever purchased and extended warranty was when I bought my car from carmax. It was absolutely the best money I'd spent as I got MUCH more out of it than the $3,000 I paid for it.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    ok as a former best buy employee and knowing the scheme. here is my advice.

1) never buy it on anything except laptop computers.
    2) only buy it on laptops if you plan on keeping it for several years.
    3) after purchasing the plan for your laptop wait 6 months then call and get a new battery for your laptop. You will now have two batteries for your laptop. This excludes apple products which they didn't sell when I worked there.

Read carefully as your mileage may very and rules may have changed in the last year or two.

Exactly. Things haven't changed at all.

If they aren't able to repair the unit, they'll replace it. So if you have the laptop for two years and then it slips out of your hands while you're walking down the stairs and smashes into 20 pieces, they replace it for you.

This has happened to 2 laptops of mine. (I'm super clumsy on the stairs around the 2 year mark...) The service plans only cost me about $150.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I get it on headphones which even if I buy heavy duty ones they only last 1 maybe 1.5 years as they are sweated, froze, baked, and pulled around. Im also going to get it on a swim mp3 player as they have said that they will replace the unit if the battery give out plus most people say the unit only last if your lucky 1 year and cost $160 plus the manufacturer doesnt do anything after 90days and i only paid 130 as it was marked wrong in their system. so for me $20 for a replacement or for money towards a new ipod nano unless i get the good one that doesnt fry within 2 years.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I never do. I don't move my laptops around much, just use them because they're small. There's something called the "bathtub curve" that's well documented. Failures occur early due to defects, and toward end of life due to wear and such. The graph of failures vs time starts high, settles near zero, then takes off again. Your manufacturer warranty should take you past the early failures, and nothing will cover as long as end of life. That leaves catastrophe. This is extremely expensive "insurance" for the expectation of payout. I take the risk; my last laptop wasn't $500. The "extended warranty" is so much I'll just eat the $500 if a meteor crashes through the roof and obliviates it. Tell you what, I had one go dead on me; I bought one like it with a broken LCD on ebay and swapped motherboards. I think it was $50.

GlockFox

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Naptown
    I do if it is over 500. It also depends on how long it is and what it is. Sometimes I just need the peace of mind when buying something expensive. If only everything was made like a gun I'd have no problem buying it. Glock should make TVs, video games, and tools.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    HELL no, I never buy them.
    I always ask the salesman, "do I REALLY need this" and if he says I do, then I tell him/her I don't want it then.

Glock does make TV's :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIfK_-_uddI[/ame]

Top Bottom