Do you carry a full magazine + one in the chamber?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you top off a magazine after putting a round into the chamber?

• Total voters

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have always used the normal complement, put one in the chamber, and left it cocked and locked (safety on), without adding another round. I typically have 3 spare mags at hand; all are Wilson 8 round mags, for a total of 32 rounds. I also rotate with four more mags every 2 months.... probably unnecessary in this day and age, but old habits die hard. Why quibble over one more round ?

Then why carry 3 spare mags? Or two? Or one? Or any?......... I mean, I guess just the one in the chamber should be all you really need, right? Why carry the extra weight?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I dont even carry a full magazine. I carry a G19 with 12 rounds in the magazine and no I don't usually carry the spare magazine either.
    When I eventually get some new gear I will carry the spare magazine then.

I have to ask. Yes I am gullible. Are you serious or just messing with us? Why would you not load the mag full? If you only own 12 hollow points you can always just load 3 FMJ as your last three. Or better yet buy another box of cartridges.

CX1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Vigo Co.
    Just practicing isn't going to cause you to re-rack a round enough times to do damage to the round. :dunno:

I don't know. Some people have stated that having a JHP pass over a feed ramp more then once will make it unsuitable for use as a defense round. Something about expansion being degraded.
    I don't personally agree, but just mention to show that some people may consider damage a bit differently then others.

I have not noticed obvious damage to the round that I normally keep in the pipe. It has probably been loaded 20-25 times between cleanings and draw practices. It will be the 1st round fired at the range next time so I guess I will see if it still works then.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Especially if we are being chased by zombies. The last one is going in someone else's kneecap.

Zombie-Bait.jpg

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I don't know. Some people have stated that having a JHP pass over a feed ramp more then once will make it unsuitable for use as a defense round. Something about expansion being degraded.
    I don't personally agree, but just mention to show that some people may consider damage a bit differently then others.

I have not noticed obvious damage to the round that I normally keep in the pipe. It has probably been loaded 20-25 times between cleanings and draw practices. It will be the 1st round fired at the range next time so I guess I will see if it still works then.

I'd be more concerned about excessive bullet setback at that point. I've made it my habit to fire the mag in my EDC when I go to the range just to avoid the problem, then put a new mag +1 into rotation. About the only time I'm not loaded +1 is on my way home from the range, I never remember to take a single HST with me.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    You really should look into how bad that damages extractors

You really should look into how bad that damages extractors. It's not good for them at all. Also, according to you, your vote should have been yes, because you're still carrying a full load plus one in the tube.
    This^^^ is only true with a 1911 style (internal) extractors.

Pipman, your technique is referred to as a "Bubba load". Sooner or later, but eventually, it will screw up your extractor.
    ONLY on an internal extractor styled pistol.

Just practicing isn't going to cause you to re-rack a round enough times to do damage to the round. :dunno:
    YES, just a few racks can cause bullet set back.

I lock the slide back, drop a round in the chamber, close the slide and then insert the magazine. Maybe I'm doing it wrong:dunno:
    THIS^^^ does NOT damage an external extractor.-Glock,CZ-75,etc.

I mean, it's all in how you want to do it. Just be mindful that you will need to replace your extractor sooner than those that load from the magazine.

Extractors are made to accept the rim of the bullet as the round is being brought from the magazine. When you do it your way, you're essentially forcing the extractor OVER the rim, instead of allowing it to just line up during the process.
    True ONLY on JMB designed 1911 internal extractors.

I have seen Federal Hydra-Shok,Speer Gold Dots experience bullet set back after only a few racks.

I'd be more concerned about excessive bullet setback at that point. I've made it my habit to fire the mag in my EDC when I go to the range just to avoid the problem, then put a new mag +1 into rotation. About the only time I'm not loaded +1 is on my way home from the range, I never remember to take a single HST with me.

BINGO!! Mammy, you win the "Boobie Prize"....

Bullet set back is REAL on most defensive loads, without canalured style bullets.
    Set back on the Hi pressure calibers (9MM,.40 S&W, 10MM) can cause VERY MUCH more of a problem in a pistol than a little wear on the OUTSIDE of an extractor claw.

My 2 cents worth, now flame away...Bill..

812guns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Columbus Indiana
    Heck yes I carry +1
    Add nerves to my shot pattern and I want all the rounds I can get. I will admit I dont carry an extra mag on me very often at all. I need to be more consistant.

chefjamescia

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    This thread has to be a joke. Do you have a spare tire in your car? Ever bring a second pencil to an exam?

CX1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Vigo Co.
    Bullet set back is REAL on most defensive loads, without canalured style bullets.
    Set back on the Hi pressure calibers (9MM,.40 S&W, 10MM) can cause VERY MUCH more of a problem in a pistol than a little wear on the OUTSIDE of an extractor claw.

My 2 cents worth, now flame away...Bill..

Oh great. Now I have to worry that my gun is going to explode. :(
    I would just throw the round away if I had not recently decided to clean the mag and possibly rotated the previous pipe round to somewhere in the middle of the 12 in the mag. :ugh:
    Hate to toss all 13 in question over this.
    How much of a set back is needed to cause a dangerous problem?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    How Hi is TOO Hi?????

Oh great. Now I have to worry that my gun is going to explode. :(
    I would just throw the round away if I had not recently decided to clean the mag and possibly rotated the previous pipe round to somewhere in the middle of the 12 in the mag. :ugh:
    Hate to toss all 13 in question over this.
    How much of a set back is needed to cause a dangerous problem?

^^^There is no right answer to this??
    I check all OAL's on my carry loads. Most measure within .002" of each other. The "Short" ones I set back in my "Need to work on" box.

This question is kind of like asking if a Jumper, bent on suicide, is going to be any more dead if he jumps from the 40th story, than if he jumps from the 30th story????Bill.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Yes, I'd like to start with mine filled to its designed capacity. :)

Aside from those who choose not to carry with a round chambered, I've never seen anyone even try to support less rounds in the gun being superior to more. :dunno:

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    When I first started carrying, I was a bit nervous about having one in the chamber (striker fired gun with no manual safety). But it didn't take long before I was confident enough to carry with one in the chamber. It would seem silly to do without full+1 now.

(and I do rotate my carry ammo to mitigate bullet setback)

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    i have to top the gun off. When I carry an auto it is a Glock 23. So it has 13 round mags. Can't carry a gun with 13 rounds, that is just silly and asking for bad luck. So I top off.

Now if I ever carried my Sig P226 which has a 12 round mag. :n00b:

You're doing it wrong. It's bad luck for the bg to inadvertently run into a guy with 13 in the gun. If you're intentionally carrying 13, that isn't luck, that's by design.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Dirtebiker, am I to believe you never use spare magazines ? I use what seems to work for me, and I am prepared to live on the difference. Moreover, from what I've seen, a revolver seems to work as well for most situations.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Full mag +1 always. It seems kinda silly to me to gimp yourself on purpose in anything in life, especially including your combat capabilities.

I'll add that as I post this, 83.5% of INGO top off. ;) :ingo::thumbsup:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I use what seems to work for me, and I am prepared to live on the difference. Moreover, from what I've seen, a revolver seems to work as well for most situations.

Leaving a round out of the revolver might work for you as well, but would you still claim that it's just as good as being fully loaded to capacity?

Top Bottom