Do you carry an extra mag? Hi-cap or no?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you carry a spare mag? Hi-cap or no?

• Total voters

JeepArn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Avon
    Great thread, very thankful for all the various choices and reasons. :D Really makes me second think not carrying an extra mag. Think I will begin to.

JeepArn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Avon
    Sorry forgot to list what I carry. Either LCP w/one in the pipe or if dressing a little heavier a XD9c 13 round +1 in the pipe.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I usually carry a spare 16 round mag if I'm carrying one of my CZs (32 rounds with me) as well as a BUG and spare for that (another 13 rounds). If I'm carrying my 1911, I bring two spare mags (24 rounds) along with BUG. My theory is that if I'm ever in a shooting situation, Murphy is already making is presence known so I might as well prepare for the worst he can dish up.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    if i need more than 15 rounds total. i am in need of a rifle, and i have gone somewhere i should not have gone>

Assuming that you have access to all of those 15 rounds

...'cause mags never fail or fall out at inopportune times, right? ;)

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    if i need more than 15 rounds total. i am in need of a rifle, and i have gone somewhere i should not have gone>

What if someone attacks you or your family, you draw your pistol and after the first shot you have a double feed???

You better pray that you A) hit them and B) they decide to run or give up after being shot once.

Because without an extra mag, you have no way to stay in the fight.

I don't carry a spare mag because I think I need more ammo. I carry it because there are malfunctions that cannot be remedied without a spare mag.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Why can't a double feed be remedied with the original mag?

What if someone attacks you or your family, you draw your pistol and after the first shot you have a double feed???

You better pray that you A) hit them and B) they decide to run or give up after being shot once.

Because without an extra mag, you have no way to stay in the fight.

I don't carry a spare mag because I think I need more ammo. I carry it because there are malfunctions that cannot be remedied without a spare mag.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Why can't a double feed be remedied with the original mag?

It can... at the range. A gun fight does not afford you time to remove your mag, set it down, use 2 hands to clear the double feed, pick up the mag you set down, put it back in the pistol, and chamber a round.

Do you really want to fuss around with trying to juggle that single mag around? You are likely to drop it anyway. Not to mention it was probably the cause of the malfunction to begin with. Ultimately, the more things you have to mess with, the slower and clumsier you will be. Malfunction clearing is the time to KISS.

Any decent defensive training will stress this. Particularly when they cover clearing malfunctions.

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    On me:

10+1 in my EDC pistol
    spare 17 round mag weak side carrier with light

In vehicle:

two spare 17 round mags in carrier
    two spare 17 round mags in carrier on EDC Bag
    150 rounds in box in EDC Bag
    usually at least 100 rounds stashed somewhere in vehicle

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I religiously carry a spare mag whether I am carrying my P11 or the XDm 9mm. If nothing else I'll have something to throw at the bad guy.

Sprayandpray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    I carry CC to be on the DL for my job by choice self employed. No back up on me but.......start a fight with me in my truck I got more ammo in mags then Walmart has on the shelf.
    If my time is up my time is up but put my life in the hands of my Colt and American made ammo. :twocents:

JJenn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    I carry a spare mag for pistol and if I carry a revolver I carry a speedloader for it.
    Usually carry revolver and Bodyguard 380 as BUG.

Top Bottom