Do you carry when you ride your motorcycle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Your jacket should attach to your pants, or at least to your belt to prevent it riding up if you go down. That also fixes most plumber crack problems as well.

I carry mine in my backpack or saddlebag and then on my person when I get to where I'm going. I have no delusion that I'll be able to fire an accurate shot while riding. If I did, I imagine I would carry my piece in a holster on the bike somewhere, rather than on my person.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Your jacket should attach to your pants, or at least to your belt to prevent it riding up if you go down. That also fixes most plumber crack problems as well.
    The only jackets that I have seen with that are rain jackets. And any time I've gone down, I was sliding head first or sideways, not feet first.

I carry mine in my backpack or saddlebag and then on my person when I get to where I'm going.
    Nothing personal, but seems like unnecessary handling. For me, my sidearm leaves my holster only for practice.

I have no delusion that I'll be able to fire an accurate shot while riding. If I did, I imagine I would carry my piece in a holster on the bike somewhere, rather than on my person.
    Helps if you're left handed. ;)

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The only jackets that I have seen with that are rain jackets. And any time I've gone down, I was sliding head first or sideways, not feet first.

Nothing personal, but seems like unnecessary handling. For me, my sidearm leaves my holster only for practice.

Helps if you're left handed. ;)

When my brother high sided his back he was skidding ass first. Got a hell of a road rash on his back. So, I look for jackets that have an attachment option. I see more with than without. :dunno:

If I had a shoulder rig, I might carry my pistol there. Wearing it in my pants is a non starter on a bike, just my preference.

Yes, I imagine being left handed does help, or even having some form of "cruise control." I've never tried shooting from my bike.... hmmmm... I wonder if there is some place I can practice that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When my brother high sided his back he was skidding ass first. Got a hell of a road rash on his back. So, I look for jackets that have an attachment option. I see more with than without. :dunno:

If I had a shoulder rig, I might carry my pistol there. Wearing it in my pants is a non starter on a bike, just my preference.

Yes, I imagine being left handed does help, or even having some form of "cruise control." I've never tried shooting from my bike.... hmmmm... I wonder if there is some place I can practice that.

38th Street seems to be the most popular "rolling range" in Indy. :):

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Depends.

If I am going for a "ride" with no destination in mind then the answer is NO because I live 1 mile from the ILLINOIS state line.

If I know I am staying in the good and proper state of INDIANA then the answer is YES.

Your jacket should attach to your pants, or at least to your belt to prevent it riding up if you go down.

I have a FirstGear and 2 KLIM jackets but my riding pants are Rev'it. Not all zippers are compatible.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    Of course.

One thing to be mindful of when carrying on a bike is what happens to it when you go. if you do end up skittering across the pavement, remember you may be landing on/riding an extra lump.

i crashed and totalled my harley in '94 when i lived in orlando. probably a good thing i wasnt carrying that day. probably would have broke my back and made a mess out of my pistol.
    "summertime" CCW was small of my back in a 4 wheel vehicle. or in my toolbag if i wasnt stopping anywhere
    in cooler weather i carried inside vest or inside jacket pocket
    the dealership i worked for had a no guns on premises policy. they sorta overlooked the policy as long as you had a CCW and left guns in your vehicle while in the shop. kinda hard to do that on a bike.
    our field mechanics all had some type of weapon in the truck
    way too many times i heard and saw rattlesnakes in equipment that was parked overnight. one contractor i visited, land clearing in a swamp, had a a 2nd "operator" in their open cab dozers armed with a shotgun to kill snakes before they could get all the way up into the cab

:cheers:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    i crashed and totalled my harley in '94 when i lived in orlando. probably a good thing i wasnt carrying that day. probably would have broke my back and made a mess out of my pistol.
    "summertime" CCW was small of my back in a 4 wheel vehicle. or in my toolbag if i wasnt stopping anywhere
    in cooler weather i carried inside vest or inside jacket pocket
    the dealership i worked for had a no guns on premises policy. they sorta overlooked the policy as long as you had a CCW and left guns in your vehicle while in the shop. kinda hard to do that on a bike.
    our field mechanics all had some type of weapon in the truck
    way too many times i heard and saw rattlesnakes in equipment that was parked overnight. one contractor i visited, land clearing in a swamp, had a a 2nd "operator" in their open cab dozers armed with a shotgun to kill snakes before they could get all the way up into the cab
    :cheers:

heh one of a few reason why I like my indoor desk job.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    If I am staying east of the state line I carry. This brings a question to mind. With my Indiana LTCH I can legally have my loaded pistol on me in my car but what about on a motorcycle?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If I am staying east of the state line I carry. This brings a question to mind. With my Indiana LTCH I can legally have my loaded pistol on me in my car but what about on a motorcycle?

Does your motorcycle have a trunk, side box, top box, etc? If so then definitely yes as those latchable/lockable compartments are the equivalent of a glove compartment. If not, then I doubt it.

Top Bottom