• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwickstrom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Recently started doing this with my brother in law and son he loves the hunt and finding them planning our first cache soon. Great site for this is Geocaching.com free to join. But some require you to be a premium member to access. So do you geocache?

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    Yes! It is really fun and a great way to explore your local community. Stay with the free to join sights - they give you all you really need. I think I have a couple hundred finds.

Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    We did when our kids were younger, and it was great fun. Now that they are a little older it gets harder to do. But it's great fun. We always used the free sites.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Used to do some of that, but the hip won't usually let me anymore. I liked my old Garmin emap best for it, real easy to get to the numbers.

JeepArn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Avon
    I never cared much for Geos. Putting a Chevy emblem on them didn't help much, either. :dunno:

Too funny. But back on topic, I have not but thought about getting the kids out for a few to see if they'd like it. Not to mention it looks to be a good way to get the Jeep out for some exploring. :rockwoot::rockwoot:

Deucemizer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I left an alcohol hand cleaner pack with a note on it in a very obscure cache in the Michigan upper peninsula in 2010. A few weeks ago I got a call from a guy, saying that he found it. I thought that was pretty cool.

dwickstrom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Godfearinguntoting it is containers of varying sizes that people hide all over the country then they leave you coordinates to find them some are just a log to write that you found it others have items you take and you leave something in return. Its a great way to spend a day with the kids or just by yourself. Any fellow cachers in the Mishawaka or SouthBend area?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Word to the wise for Geocachers: don't make the cache look like something that could be mistaken for an IED. Last year the IMPD bomb squad blew up two of them in one week.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Necro Bump!

LOL! Might I just take a moment to point out that I did not open a new thread...I did a search like a good little poster and brought one back to life. :D

We took the kids out today for a little spring break fun and to get them out of the house. We were interested in seeing their desire to get off a trail and go into the woods. We found four geocache's and searched for one that we didn't find (but we stumbled across a dead cat, a momma quail with a nest full of eggs, and a momma possum with some cute babies all while looking for the missing cache). We rambled out of the woods with mud up to our knees and we had a ball.

Simple and fun family activity for anyone who hasn't heard of it.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Another necro bump to see if any new members are Geocaching. I went out this weekend and found a few again. Also had a PM from someone here asking about pictures I posted from a recent trip. It is a great way to spend a Sunday and find some really neat places that you would never find otherwise.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    ive had 2 geos and 1 chevy metro all fun to drive

are there any good apps for android ive though about trying it if there are any in my area

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I use the Polaris Navigation gps app. You have to enter the coordinates off geocaching.com though. You cannot just download them to the free version.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I did this at Turkey Run S.P. over 10 years ago. I there were over 1000 caches at the time IIRC. I did find a Spider tag. It had started in Hawaii!

I really need to do this with my kids. Thanks for the reminder.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I just downloaded an app for this and it seems there are a few in my area but a lot of them require the premium account.

Geocaching.com has all the caches listed for free. I have never paid for anything for geocaching, my gps app is free, I don't usu the official geocaching app though so i have to look up coordinates on the website and enter them into my app. It takes about a minute.

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    Geocaching.com has all the caches listed for free. I have never paid for anything for geocaching, my gps app is free, I don't usu the official geocaching app though so i have to look up coordinates on the website and enter them into my app. It takes about a minute.

That's the site I used and it doesn't list it all on the site or the app.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    That's the site I used and it doesn't list it all on the site or the app.

Hm, you might need to sign up, but that is free unless you want to be a premium member. I am just a free member and I view hundreds of them around me. Ive never had one that I couldnt view.

Top Bottom