Heinlich_libs.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You can already hear the mantra. It's the evil insurance companies price gouging. We need single payer.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If you think about it, most people who support the health care law are not those who are being affected. The only people I personally know who are being hurt are small business owners, mostly self-employed and recently retired people. Most who support the new law are oblivious to the overall harm it's causing and haven't investigated because it appears to be something good.

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    If you think about it, most people who support the health care law are not those who are being affected. The only people I personally know who are being hurt are small business owners, mostly self-employed and recently retired people. Most who support the new law are oblivious to the overall harm it's causing and haven't investigated because it appears to be something good.

Disclaimer: I'm not a small business owner.
    My premiums are going to increase 97% starting Jan. 2014.
    That doesn't include increases in deductables.
    That hurts.

Count yourself lucky if the same thing is not happening to your healthcare policy.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Everybody is going to pay more, either through taxes or higher premiums, or both. You can't get something for nothing not even if you are the Almighty Obama.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    Everybody is going to pay more, either through taxes or higher premiums, or both. You can't get something for nothing not even if you are the Almighty Obama.

Bingo! Not only are they raising money by increasing premiums for individual payers (who'll loose their current policy for these increase "mandatory" policies) but they'll have a small army of newly hired IRS agents hired to seek out and tax/fine those who thumb their nose at the mandate.

The next wave will try to control costs...some politician will have an epiphany that unhealthy items are the reason for high costs. That's when you'll start to see junk-food, soda and fast food taxes.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    There is no enforcement mechanism (nothing authorizing leins/garnishments etc) nor criminal penalties set out for the individual mandate actually. According to the 'law' fines/penalties/taxes (whatever you want to call them) can only be collected from Income Tax REFUNDS due to the citizen. Simply adjust your withholdings with a W4 so that you will owe a small amount each year instead of getting 'refund' of YOUR MONEY that you let the Govt use interest free and there is nothing the IRS can do. (BTW this is really a good idea as a general rule anyway) Those new IRS agents will be JBTing businesses to ensure all of the other new taxes hidden within are paid, however the entire law is built upon the young and healthy paying premiums into the system to cover the bills of the elderly and lazy. IF these people don't comply the whole house of cards cannot stand.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ... The only people I personally know who are being hurt are small business owners, mostly self-employed and recently retired people....

I don't "personally know" any of the 800 I.U. Health employees who are getting laid off as a result of decreased Medicare reimbursement rates (robbing old-age entitlements to pay for Obama's Medicaid expansion). I also don't know any of the similar number of St. Vincent employees who are getting canned. Or the couple hundred or so that St. Francis is pushing off onto the iceberg.

Shucky dern...guess I need to look into this more.

But hey - what's a couple thousand jobs...in one city?

Seriously, I do personally know some people in the HC industry who have been reduced to part-time. I also know some diabetics on Medicare who have said they aren't getting their testing supplies covered anymore, as a result of the MC cuts. And we get our benefit meetings next week, so maybe I'll be afforded the opportunity to increase my sphere of "personal knowledge" by getting my premiums jacked (I'll keep my fingers crossed).

The sad thing is, the architects of the new system probably don't care about this. To them, this is likely just part of the "creative destruction" that must happen to make the system "more fair."

Entitlements were always going to have to be cut, someday. But that's not how this was marketed to the American Public. When this was being rammed through Congress, it wasn't presented to them as a case of "Robbing Citizen X to benefit Citizen Y." The Democrats knew if they "had that discussion" with the American people, this thing wouldn't have passed.

So in my opinion, this law was passed under false pretense. The President lied.

Last edited:

85s10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    The government is creating an economy and environment that will cause more people to be dependent on the government for sustenance which in turn creating more votes for the party that will feed them.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    gOOn24, did you miss this fact: Join Date:Dec 2012

1 1/2 years to 51 is hardly a race to the classifieds.....

Hmm yes I did miss that. I was basing my post on him resurrecting several threads out of nowhere.

Top Bottom