Do you hold down the forearm of your rifle when you shoot off a bench?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I've got a Kimber sporterized M96 Mauser in 22-250. Its got a Kimber stainless fluted barrel, its a pretty heavy gun. It originally had a super crappy Ram-line stock. I recently replaced the stock with a Bell and Carlson Medalist and added a Harris bi-pod.

I have shot some really good groups from the rifle off sandbags in the past with the ram-line stock and no bi-pod, but I always had to have a hand on the forearm of the stock and hold it down when I shot. I thought this was a function of the crappy stock which was one reason I wanted to replace it. Anyway, I've been shooting it some with the new stock and bi-pod and still, I have to basically hold the forearm of the rifle down (and press the bipod feet down to the bench)to get it to shoot well. I see numerous other people who simply let the front of the rifle rest on the bi-pod and use their free arm to help hold the butt-stock when shooting from a bi-pod, but I can't seam to get away with that. Anybody have any suggestions, or theory's on why this is?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm no expert, but I do have a theory. I'm thinking the force of you pushing down on the forearm, is helping with steadiness. When you just use a bi-pod alone. Any little movement is going to move the POA of the scope.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Any variation in the bedding of the rifle and the barrel's float from the foreend (pressure on or away from the barrel) can cause some inaccuracy and shot to shot variation.

Yeah I'm aware of this and I think this was probably happening with the original stock. The new stock has the integral aluminum bedding block in it, and I skim bedded over that with Devcon. I would say that it is quite rigid and secure. The barrel is free floated now and it was before too.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    #1... I"m not much of a rifle shooter...

#2... if I DO shoot a rifle from a bench, I try to have a rest. And if I have a rest, I don't touch the rifle anywhere forward of where I grip the thing to shoot it. My off hand is balled up under the butt-pad of the stock for vertical stability.

-J-

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    #1... I"m not much of a rifle shooter...

#2... if I DO shoot a rifle from a bench, I try to have a rest. And if I have a rest, I don't touch the rifle anywhere forward of where I grip the thing to shoot it. My off hand is balled up under the butt-pad of the stock for vertical stability.

-J-

When I tried shooting like that, the bi-pod would jump and the shot's were typically up and to the right of the POA.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    When I tried shooting like that, the bi-pod would jump and the shot's were typically up and to the right of the POA.

Is the barrel angled up or down when you aim at the target? I've found that with significant barrel angle, there tends to be more muzzle jump.

It also has a lot to do with the amount of drop of the comb.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN

But was the group all in the same spot? As mentioned before if you put pressure on top of the barrel it could cause your POI to be lower than a untouched barrel. Shoot a couple 3 shot groups no touch then a few with your hand on the barrel or forearm as you have done and see if the group moves from your POA. The goal is to make the group stay in the same spot from your POA. All my rifles I shoot without touching the barrel or forearm when on bags or bipods and unless it is a heavy recoil I only grab the grip to shoot. My 22-250 on the bipod shoots the same as it does off the bags.
    It would be normal for your gun to "bounce on the bipod" when fired but the round will be clear of the gun before it bounces so it would be a non factor as far as accuracy goes.

PaPa 260

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    I never touch the fore end of any rifle when I am shooting off the bench with a bipod, sandbags or a front rest. That includes rifles chambered in cartridges up to the 300 WSM shooting 210 gr. match bullets. Yes the bipod does come up off the bench, does it hurt my accuracy, not at all. I do put the bipod on a piece of carpet. If you are getting vertical stringing, it is because of either the load, or technique, assuming the rifle is squared away.

PaPa 260

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    i usually wrap my left hand, (right handed shooter here), under the butt of the gun and push it deep into my shoulder. imagine taking your left hand and placing it flat on your right shoulder with your fingers pointing up. only do that while grasping the stock. then i put a little foward pressure on the bipod. this helps keep the barrel down. that combined with the rock solid hold on the butt i found to be a pretty accurate way of shooting.

080108at_snipers_800.JPG

just like the guy on the bottom only i have a basic stock so my grip is a little different and i push it into my shoulder alot harder.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Ok, I'll try some things later today and see how it goes. I'm pretty confident that its something in my technique that is causing this.

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    I have never put my hand on the forearm when shooting from any kind of rest off of a bench.May want to put sandbag under the rear of the stock to help it be more solid.If you are getting vertical stringing-it may be the barrel is getting too hot,I have had this happen before and let the gun cool down and it got back to normal groups.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I just got back from the range. Apparently I was positioning my body too far around the left side (I'm right handed) of the rifle. I got more squared up behind the rifle, pulled the stock into my shoulder tight with my right hand and used my left under the butt stock for elevation, and I was a lot more consistent. The rifle was no longer bouncing after the shot. I just need to practice with it and get used to the bi-pod some more.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    Do not forget to "load" the bipod. By this I mean, when you lay down behind the rifle be sure your shoulder is pushing into the rifle. This causes backwards pressure on the bipod, takes out the slack in the bipod and allows for a more solid hold. Also look at getting a rear bag or a sock filled with sand. Hold the sock in the non-shooting hand and place under the butt of the gun. Squeeze and release the sock for elevation adjustments.

Top Bottom