• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I am probably going to incite arguments,but I for one definitely believe that certain trees make the "PH" of the soil more suitable for morels to grow....I have never found morels in a grove heavy in oak and hickory.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    "Hunt" them? Sorta. I always look around dead and dying elms because whatever conditions that are causing the elms to die tend to also stress the fungus to cause it to fruit more for 3-4 years. But that's just being lazy, I'm usually happy when I find a few lbs and then I'm done for the season.

But forest soil specific, not really. I've found morels growing through cracks in concrete where there haven't been trees for a century. I've found them in pasture land, I've found them in acid soils and basic soils.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    This season more than ever before,I have noticed that the earlier grays in the forest seem to be in poplar groves....I have always liked elm and sycamores in the low ground...Like you I have found morels in unusual places,but I definitely believe that some trees create better soil conditions than others for morels...

sampo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Owen County
    I have lots of mature oak in my woods, but no hickory, and find lots of yellow morels. I have 30 acres of hills, and mostly find them in the briars and on the steepest hills I have. I've always heard they grow around old dead or dying ELM trees :oldwise:

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I have lots of mature oak in my woods, but no hickory, and find lots of yellow morels. I have 30 acres of hills, and mostly find them in the briars and on the steepest hills I have. I've always heard they grow around old dead or dying ELM trees :oldwise:

But notice whether or not you find them right under a red or white oak...we have had good luck in Yellowwood already this year on the sunny ridges,but almost without fail,the mushrooms were within 2 or 3 feet of the base of a mature poplar....There are oaks,hickories,ect in this woods also.

dasprung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Have any of you guys seen any Morels lately? I typically don't see them til early May, but with the weather being so warm so soon I don't know what to expect.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Have any of you guys seen any Morels lately? I typically don't see them til early May, but with the weather being so warm so soon I don't know what to expect.

We found two or three good messes starting the Saturday before last! The earliest ever in my memory in Indiana.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    We have seen a few yellows starting to pop here in the North. We swear by dead Elms and dead/dying fruit trees.. (Apple, pear, etc.)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I suck at tree identification. I know Tulip, sugar maple, and birch. Is this one an Elm?
    8aa6a57e.jpg

I just found these 2 up front. I've never seen one bent over like that.

a5f5dd14.jpg

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    "Hunt trees"? I have tried but I have never found a round big enough to bring them down. At least not one I can legally use. On the plus side they don't run when you shoot them.:D

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Looks Elmish to me.

I'm knee deep in morels in pastures, but have found only a handful in the woods and those just popped up the last couple of days. Based on the production so far it looks like a good season is in store. Fiddleheads are ahead, which is kind of unusual in my time in the midwest. I usually gather both at the same time. Ramps and nettles though, are just now ready.

I have always read the elms, dead elms, pines, mayapples, etc....are symbiotic with morels, but I've never seen such a pattern on my place.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Hard to tell without seeing the tree,but that may be an elm....3 years ago in Yellowwood my wife found the biggest patch of BIG yellow morels all around one dead elm tree.We picked almost 3 lbs in 2 minutes!I have always done well in low ground near Sycamores...mushrooms can be anywhere,but in the last 2 or 3 years as my children have gotten older,we are more specific in our searching around certain types of trees.Finding more mushrooms also!

josh25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Johnson County
    My cousin and I have found several greys and yellows this past week, over 300 easily. We have found very few blacks. I think the blacks are gone, the ones we found are to far gone to even pick. I would be surprised if thier still popping up in may this year.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Around dead and dying elms tends to be a good place to look but I wouldn't limit my search to only that. The majority of morels I've found over the years were nowhere near an elm tree.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I read to look around Cottonwood trees, the ones with the super deep bark. I found one by a river that had its bark falling off in huge patches, and low and behold, there were hundreds surrounding that tree.

Top Bottom