• Do you inform and how do you carry?

• Total voters

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Best way to inform if you want to inform is to put your window as the LEO approaches and yell "I have a gun". That will make his job easier for all of you concerned about the LEO's job efficiency.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Not a legal requirement in IN. If he really wants to know, I won't lie to him, but if he wants it, he has to reach for it. I have to wonder about the officer if an OCer needs to inform him.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    I carry my licence and my Permit in the same clear plastic sleeve in my wallet. When I "take my license out of the Wallet" You can see the little pink card. The officer can clearly see it. If he is interested, he can ask if I am armed (one did). If not, he is at least aware. No big deal.
    I carry concealed in and out of my car. But if I am in certain areas, I place my firearm on the seat next to me with something on top of it, like my hat.

Last edited:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I carry my licence and my Permit in the same clear plastic sleeve in my wallet. When I "take my license out of the Wallet" You can see the little pink card. The officer can clearly see it. If he is interested, he can ask if I am armed (some have). If not, he is at least aware. No big deal.

So what has been the Officer's response when you have had to show ID?

StreetStrip01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Florida
    Only had one who asked "Are you armed today?". I said "I am" he said what are you carrying? Then we had a nice conversation about the 10mm................Right before I got my ticket for no seatbelt :(

He figured you dont have any sense carrying a 10mm, you dont have any sense wearing a seatbelt, so he might as well write you up.

:)

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Only had one who asked "Are you armed today?". I said "I am" he said what are you carrying? Then we had a nice conversation about the 10mm................Right before I got my ticket for no seatbelt :(

He figured you dont have any sense carrying a 10mm, you dont have any sense wearing a seatbelt, so he might as well write you up.

:)

More like he figured if he could afford 10mm ammo, he could afford a seatbelt ticket :D

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    I have 3 friends who are LEO's and have asked each one of them how I should handle a traffic stop. Each one said I should inform and 2 of the 3 said they will take the gun for the duration of the stop for safety and to make sure it doesn't come up stolen. The other one said it depends on the situation/his mood on wether he would take the gun. While I will never lie to Law Enforcemence, I will also never give information that I am not legally required to.

I answered I CC and no I will not inform. (Assuming I am in IN where I am not required to.)

"2 of the 3 said they will take the gun for the duration of the stop for safety and to make sure it doesn't come up stolen."

Why would you steal you own weapon during the stop??????

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have 3 friends who are LEO's and have asked each one of them how I should handle a traffic stop. Each one said I should inform and 2 of the 3 said they will take the gun for the duration of the stop for safety and to make sure it doesn't come up stolen. The other one said it depends on the situation/his mood on wether he would take the gun. While I will never lie to Law Enforcemence, I will also never give information that I am not legally required to.

I answered I CC and no I will not inform. (Assuming I am in IN where I am not required to.)

Do they pull the car stereo out to make sure it isnt stolen?
    Do they confiscate your phone to make sure it isnt stolen?
    Do they confiscate your iPod to make sure it isnt stolen?
    Do they confiscate your laptop to make sure it isnt stolen?

They have no more right to confiscate guns "in case they are stolen" than they do the above items..

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I OC and do not inform EXCEPT in the case if officer asks me to hand him something or other request that involves putting my hand near gun or otherwise exposing gun to his surprise which is NOT recommended.

BrianD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2012
    Lewisville
    I informed just once, the first time I was pulled over by NCPD, just after receiving my LTCH. But since joining INGO, I do not intend to again. :ingo:

I mainly CC, because I am comfortable with it for having to do it for so long while living in SC.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I informed just once, the first time I was pulled over by NCPD, just after receiving my LTCH. But since joining INGO, I do not intend to again. :ingo:

I mainly CC, because I am comfortable with it for having to do it for so long while living in SC.

Just curious, what happened after you informed them you had a firearm?

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I'm required to CC under LEOSA, I'd have no problem informing an officer that I was carrying and show them ID and documentation or for that matter my Indiana LTCH.... now where did I put that pink piece of paper? I always appreciated when someone I had stopped let me know they where carrying and produced their LTCH.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom