• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Towelettes, I wish that word never existed. My wife says she can't live without these
    ONxkKgW.jpg

Greffy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2019
    Los Angeles County
    News reporters, when referring to a defendant in court seem all use the term 'pleaded' these days. That really grates on my ear.
    I grew up hearing the word 'pled' in such instances. Both are technically acceptable, but 'pleaded' just sounds wrong or lacking in verbal elegance to me.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    News reporters, when referring to a defendant in court seem all use the term 'pleaded' these days. That really grates on my ear.
    I grew up hearing the word 'pled' in such instances. Both are technically acceptable, but 'pleaded' just sounds wrong or lacking in verbal elegance to me.

Interesting. I guess I'm with you on this, but grammarians are not.
    Pleaded is the standard past-tense and past-participial form of the verb plea. Pled has always been considered incorrect by usage authorities, but it’s so common that we have to accept it. … But because pleaded is much more common and is unanimously accepted by all dictionaries and usage authorities, it is safer than pled. And it should be noted that pleaded is preferred by an especially wide margin in publications known for high editorial standards.
    https://abovethelaw.com/2011/12/grammer-pole-of-the-weak-pleaded-v-pled/

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    At my work the word "Super" amplifies every adjective - Super excited, super thankful, super pleased, super, super super.

The other one that makes me cringe is "irregardless" which (1) was never really a word and (2) is always used incorrectly.

Mike

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Win-Win
    Had a boss once who used Win-Win-Win, except he couldn't explain why the third Win (which was us) wasn't really a Lose.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    "twicet"*. (Instead of "twice") My boss uses it all the damn time. I literally wish somebody would bleep the word out with the sound of nails on a chalkboard I find it so annoying.

She's a great lady and stellar boss, but her grammar and grasp of the rules of the English language leads MUCH to be desired. (like insisting a new vendor rep's name was pronounced "seen" because it was spelled "Sean". :facepalm:)

Edit: to clarify, its pronounced with a second hard t at the end. So I guess it should probably be writen twice't.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, it's not one word, but two.
    "Good Idea" and it's cousin "Great Idea".

Every time someone in management uses either of those, I want to scream and punch bunny rabbits.
    It's usually an old idea, that everyone knows we've tried 17 times, it costs a LOT of money and energy, and failed miserably.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    "twicet". (Instead of "twice") My boss uses it all the damn time. I literally wish somebody would bleep the word out with the sound of nails on a chalkboard I find it so annoying.

She's a great lady and stellar boss, but her grammar and grasp of the rules of the English language leads MUCH to be desired. (like insisting a new vendor rep's name was pronounced "seen" because it was spelled "Sean". :facepalm:)

2ice. Saw this in a text.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    "twicet"*. (Instead of "twice") My boss uses it all the damn time. I literally wish somebody would bleep the word out with the sound of nails on a chalkboard I find it so annoying.

Edit: to clarify, its pronounced with a second hard t at the end. So I guess it should probably be writen twice't.

Update. She also orders her steak medium well and smothers it (no matter how well seasoned) with A1. She's an animal tat's gonna give me PTSD if this keeps up. (we often travel to remote sites together with other team members so we end up eating dinner together)

On a related note, I'm on the road now, and the person above me in the hotel room above does the weirdest things... like pacing back and forth between the bath and beds rrepeatedly for an hour, and just now sounded like they were rolling a suitcase around occasionally ramming it repeatedly into a wall. I hate people. /rant

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    I hate the abbreviations used in text messages. I refuse to carry on a conversation with people who "speak in text". My sister inlaw says : OMG, JK, LOL... in normal conversation.
    Example: OMG, we went to see that new movie last night. It sucked, JK it was awesome. We LOL'd our butts off.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I hate the abbreviations used in text messages. I refuse to carry on a conversation with people who "speak in text". My sister inlaw says : OMG, JK, LOL... in normal conversation.
    Example: OMG, we went to see that new movie last night. It sucked, JK it was awesome. We LOL'd our butts off.

IKR? :):

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

remove "case of the Mondays", and add your abbreviations

[video=youtube;guv5LUT1AFw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guv5LUT1AFw[/video]

Top Bottom