Do you keep a fire extinguisher in your vehicle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    Let's see.
    Scissor jack. Breaker bar. Quart of oil. Spare fuses. Jumper cables. Tow strap. Set of towels. Change of clothes. Assorted toiletries. Check. Fire extinguisher? Nope. Been meaning to, guess now I've got to make a point of it.
    Part of my problem is I can't leave anything too valuable in plain sight as a soft top is impossible to secure. Even if a hypothetical criminal wasn't smart enough to just unzip the rear window, there'd be nothing stopping them from ripping it open with a knife.

Speaking of "things I'd wish I'd had on me at the time", one of those portable welders that run off of a couple car batteries wired in series. Had a friend's transmission fall out in the parking lot recently, the tubular cross member holding it in place had rusted through on the one side and had picked that particular moment to let go. He drove up, put it in park, and CLUNK, it was on the ground.
    Chances of something like that happening again? Probably rounds down to zero, not unless I get into some serious offroading. Consequences of not having it? Again, near zero. He got a ratchet strap around it and that was enough that he could limp home at twenty miles an hour with the caution flashers on. But wouldn't it have been cool to have been the one guy with the right tool the right time?

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    <SNIP>

And what dead duck said. periodically (every couple years) shake your ABCs like a cocktail shaker for about 10 seconds, turning upside down a couple times. Powder can settle and solidify enough that it clogs the tube.

Periodically: Every couple of Months.

(State of Washington's website (random find) says every six months--I don't know if anyone has studied this issue.)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Periodically: Every couple of Months.

(State of Washington's website (random find) says every six months--I don't know if anyone has studied this issue.)

That is pretty aggressive. I actually work for a fire protection business. The only reason for every 6 is because you might forget for several cycles.

Our guys will give them a quick shake during inspection every year.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    That is pretty aggressive. I actually work for a fire protection business. The only reason for every 6 is because you might forget for several cycles.

Our guys will give them a quick shake during inspection every year.

Inspection wise -
    How much would I be looking at to charge a bunch on Metal head Badger 5 pounders. Like about 10 to 15ish of them?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Inspection wise -
    How much would I be looking at to charge a bunch on Metal head Badger 5 pounders. Like about 10 to 15ish of them?

Depends. I'm behind the scenes and not in production so I'll have to ask about pricing on Monday. But its dependent on where they are in their life cycle. They have to be inspected (torn down) every 6 years, and hydro (pressure) tested every 12. (I think) I'll see what I can find for you on Monday. Glad they are metal heads, because the plastic ones are throw aways.

Another misconception: You only need the annual inspections for commercial use. Residential/personal use as long as everything looks good, the tamper seal is intact, and the needle is in the green zone, you are good to go.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Depends. I'm behind the scenes and not in production so I'll have to ask about pricing on Monday. But its dependent on where they are in their life cycle. They have to be inspected (torn down) every 6 years, and hydro (pressure) tested every 12. (I think) I'll see what I can find for you on Monday. Glad they are metal heads, because the plastic ones are throw aways.

Another misconception: You only need the annual inspections for commercial use. Residential/personal use as long as everything looks good, the tamper seal is intact, and the needle is in the green zone, you are good to go.

I'd appreciate it.
    I will check their stamps.

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    If I had one in my car it would be a Halotron non dry chemical extinguisher or Purple K. If I only had a ABC dry chemical extinguisher and it was my car, burn baby burn.

MH

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I keep one in my truck. My wife has a small single-use one in her Jeep. My old off-road jeep had one, and it has been used twice. Oddly enough, on the same jeep (two different times, two different owners). That thing was cursed.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Yes. Years ago, my Mother had a electrical panel fire. She called at 2:30 in the morning and said there is smoke in the basement and the smoke detector was going off. I grabbed a small-old Kidde (IIRC) I had (only one at that time), raced approx 1 mile, opened the garage door and ran to the panel. Had about 4 good shots to put it out. Called the FD.

Now we have 5# ers at each end of the house, back door, front door, and trunk of the car and back of the truck.

If I didn't have that single 3# back then, the outcome could have been much different.

Lesson learned for us.

:ingo:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You drive one of those extra mini french cars dont you?

It's actually an American car, but made for the European market.It's a subcompact hatchback which is a medium size car around here.

I carry quite a bit of emergency supply in it which probably take half of the trunk space.

I have a large plastic bin full of different stuff.
    Spare clothes, spare boots, food, water, blankets, tow rope, jumper cables, safety triangle, high visibily jackets, scissor jack, basic tools, flashlights, work gloves, spare fuilds for the car, different maps (local, regional, entire country and map of europe), compass etc.

I have a 13 pounds backpack with first aid gear in the trunk as well.

I've used most of those items multiple times already to hep myself or others.I've changed people's tires more often than I had to change my own flat tire.

When I said "I wish I had the freedom to carry that much gear" I meant the legal freedom to carry guns, ammo and body armor.Not so much the trunk space.

I've seen people arrested because they kept a PVC pipe or a metal tube in their door panel.
    Anything that could be used as a weapon is therefore illegal.
    Of course pretty much anything can be used as weapon ... I can strangle someone with my tow strap. :rolleyes:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I have a small 1kg ABC fire extinguisher with a manometer.

extincteur-1-kg-avec-manometre--163289.jpg

I can't find any expiration date on it.
    So as long as the needle is in the green and I shake it once in a while it should be good for years?

BeDome

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I do not, but I have in the past. When I was traveling constantly, I kept one with me.
    I actually had a chance to save someone's car once. Complete stranger, while I was at a Love's truck stop eating something resembling pancakes. Their car began to smoke and I could see out the window.

Horror was that they were parked at the gas pumps with a car on fire.

Thanks for the reminder. I no longer travel, but I should keep my safety equipment alive!

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    If I had one in my car it would be a Halotron non dry chemical extinguisher or Purple K. If I only had a ABC dry chemical extinguisher and it was my car, burn baby burn.

MH

Why those ones? A car isn't anything special, so why the speciality/expense of Halotron or PKP? A car fire is also a class A fire (unless you get a liquid burning, or you have a magnesium block), so you'd need coverage for that...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It's actually an American car, but made for the European market.It's a subcompact hatchback which is a medium size car around here.

I carry quite a bit of emergency supply in it which probably take half of the trunk space.

I have a large plastic bin full of different stuff.
    Spare clothes, spare boots, food, water, blankets, tow rope, jumper cables, safety triangle, high visibily jackets, scissor jack, basic tools, flashlights, work gloves, spare fuilds for the car, different maps (local, regional, entire country and map of europe), compass etc.

I have a 13 pounds backpack with first aid gear in the trunk as well.

I've used most of those items multiple times already to hep myself or others.I've changed people's tires more often than I had to change my own flat tire.

When I said "I wish I had the freedom to carry that much gear" I meant the legal freedom to carry guns, ammo and body armor.Not so much the trunk space.

I've seen people arrested because they kept a PVC pipe or a metal tube in their door panel.
    Anything that could be used as a weapon is therefore illegal.
    Of course pretty much anything can be used as weapon ... I can strangle someone with my tow strap. :rolleyes:
    Very wise you are sylvain in more ways than one my friend.
    Very well prepared and not only thinking of yourself but others too, 2 thumbs up to you! Most people will just drive right by. I'll admit on a highway I dont stop unless it's an accident and I can see someone flagging or needing help. I have stopped. I have called the police though for other times.
    If it's a local incident I have ans do tend to stop and see if I can help. I'm not physically able to change a tire now unfortunately unless it was life or death then obviously the outcome would be worth the pain and suffering and possible further damage it would cause me.
    We have to be as prepared as we can because others around us wont be and that is a guarentee.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Very wise you are sylvain in more ways than one my friend.
    Very well prepared and not only thinking of yourself but others too, 2 thumbs up to you! Most people will just drive right by. I'll admit on a highway I dont stop unless it's an accident and I can see someone flagging or needing help. I have stopped. I have called the police though for other times.
    If it's a local incident I have ans do tend to stop and see if I can help. I'm not physically able to change a tire now unfortunately unless it was life or death then obviously the outcome would be worth the pain and suffering and possible further damage it would cause me.
    We have to be as prepared as we can because others around us wont be and that is a guarentee.

Yeah it's very dangerous to stop on the highway.It's not worth it to stop and risk your life to help someone change their tire there.

During my last first aid class that covered scene safety and roadside accidents I was told to just keep driving and call 911 even if there's an accident with victims on the highway.
    Especially if you have kids in the car, too dangerous to leave them in the car by themselves while you are out trying to help people.

Last time I helped someone change a tire was just a few months ago.
    I was parked on parking lot and as I was returning to my car I noticed the car next to mine had a flat tire, and a lady walking right behind me was going towards that car.
    So I offered to change the tire for her, I just grabbed some leather gloves in my car and quickly changed the tire.
    I could not have left without offering my help.
    I have been helped by kind strangers too.
    Last time was when I was stuck in the mud on the side of the road.
    A farmer pulled my car back into the road with his tractor.
    He had an old rope that snapped when he first tried to pull the car, I later used my own rope and it worked.

AlVine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    Yes, definitely. Several years ago I stopped to help a farmer with a trailer full of corn that a burning tire had ignited. Neither of us had an extinguisher so we threw snow on the fire......not very effective. Since then I carry a small 2.5# in
    the car and a 5# or 10# in the truck.

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I have a small 1kg ABC fire extinguisher with a manometer.

extincteur-1-kg-avec-manometre--163289.jpg

I can't find any expiration date on it.
    So as long as the needle is in the green and I shake it once in a while it should be good for years?

This summer I discharged and disposed of a 1 lb extinguisher from 1978 that had sat under an unheated and uncooled UP Michigan cottage's sink for 40 years. Worked fine.

That said, it should have been replaced 30 years ago.

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Yes, definitely. Several years ago I stopped to help a farmer with a trailer full of corn that a burning tire had ignited. Neither of us had an extinguisher so we threw snow on the fire......not very effective. Since then I carry a small 2.5# in
    the car and a 5# or 10# in the truck.

Did you save the load?

Top Bottom