• Total voters

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If not, then get yourself a will! A friend at church recently died and left his estate intestate. Now his family has to go through all sorts of pains to take ownership of the house and his other property, because he has children from a previous marriage and his most recent wife was not co-owner on anything.

So, my question is, what will happen to your guns if you refuse to get a will for some reason? Will anyone even know how to get into your safe? Will your wife/husband know the value of your collection? Will your ex-wife end up with your guns? :dunno: Bottom line, get a will! :yesway:

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    words of the wise!

Something to think about...my wife knows nothing of our bills or much else for that matter cause i take care of it all.

Our house is in my name too....good advice Que!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I know when I will die.

When I meet the girl of my dreams, win the lottery, and have a fridge full of microbrews
    (the latter will be the determiner).

Domestic swill keeps the reaper away!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    words of the wise!

Something to think about...my wife knows nothing of our bills or much else for that matter cause i take care of it all.

Our house is in my name too....good advice Que!

I put this under general firearms because most of us think more about our guns than cars, homes, etc. :D We know the house and cars may go to the right person, but that may not be the right person to get our guns! ;)

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I'll die the day I carry a kel-tec for self-defense
    Carry a PF9 everyday and ain't afraid.

When my dad died some years back he had a will in which I (along with my son) recieved his house. Turned into a nightmare,his wife (stepmother) contested the will and the house was sold way below market value along with other things. Wills are not "iron clad" in my opinion. The vultures seem to come out when someone dies. I never cared that I didn't get the house,I'd rather have my dad.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Carry a PF9 everyday and ain't afraid.

When my dad died some years back he had a will in which I (along with my son) recieved his house. Turned into a nightmare,his wife (stepmother) contested the will and the house was sold way below market value along with other things. Wills are not "iron clad" in my opinion. The vultures seem to come out when someone dies. I never cared that I didn't get the house,I'd rather have my dad.

A husband can't normally cut his wife out of the will, putting her out of the primary residence, but stranger things have happened.

I'm mostly posting about guns, because how many people think about their guns when making a will? My guns are not mentioned in my will right now, so if anything happens to me, where will they go? Odds are, my wife will take them to the local police station or something. I need to ensure they go to someone who will appreciate them and even pass them along to my son at the appropriate time. In a few years, I can update my will, naming my son the beneficiary of all my guns.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My kids are too young to care, but I have instructions on what guns go where.
    My Colts go to my kids, and my explicit wish is that they way later, go to their kids.
    The other guns will go to other family members.
    My kids move the Colts against my wishes, I'm comin' back from the grave........the most A hole of poltergeists.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Nobody's making it past 12/21/12 anyway?:D
    sign_iagree.gif
    That is why Dick Clark went to the Big Countdown in the sky.:D

I recently went through all this last year when my father passed away. It's funny how all that probate stuff can turn family into enemies and just wipe away a life's of savings.
    Everything is now in both my wife's and i names. and she has access to the safe and knows what all the guns/contents are worth.

Last edited:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    A husband can't normally cut his wife out of the will, putting her out of the primary residence, but stranger things have happened.

I'm mostly posting about guns, because how many people think about their guns when making a will? My guns are not mentioned in my will right now, so if anything happens to me, where will they go? Odds are, my wife will take them to the local police station or something. I need to ensure they go to someone who will appreciate them and even pass them along to my son at the appropriate time. In a few years, I can update my will, naming my son the beneficiary of all my guns.

Couldn't you write the will in such a way that they would be held by a trusted person until your son gets x years old, at which time, they are to go to him??

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You can give directions on how to get into your safe inside your will.But dont keep your will in your safe if you do that. :D

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Couldn't you write the will in such a way that they would be held by a trusted person until your son gets x years old, at which time, they are to go to him??

Yeah, that could be done. I would choose an executor who I trust enough to carry our my terms.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    I saw an old saying --I came in to this world screaming and covered in someone else s blood and I plan to go out of it the same way !..:D

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I chose a novel way of dealing with mine. I have one brother I trust completely and had my will written such that he can do as he chooses with everything (knowing that I can trust him to do it in a satisfactory manner). Ditto for decisions in the event of my incapacitation. I did not want to try to make a catch-all living will, so I left him in charge of making such decisions out of reason specific to the event rather than trying to second-guess whatever may come. I really don't like blind, dumb catch-all decisions that may or may not fit when rubber meets the road.

Top Bottom