• Do you have a will?

• Total voters

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    I put this under general firearms because most of us think more about our guns than cars, homes, etc. :D We know the house and cars may go to the right person, but that may not be the right person to get our guns! ;)

hehe....very true, though as i know my wife she will have lost them in a boating accident right after my death...lol

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I wouldn't want to know the day i would die. I want to keep on living how ever i am living. I think that would be be depressing to know the exact day.. Even if it were 70 yrs from now.. Humm that would put me at 98 yrs old.. (P.S. I think you put your thread in the wrong place :()

Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    with non-titled personal property, always figured when you die people just take what they want or are given and the widow just hangs onto the majority of everything else.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Interesting topic...:+1:

I am 23 years old and I live on my own. Although I live independently from my parents, I do not have any problems with them. I do not have a will. Until my recent boating accident, I owned a fairly large collection of firearms. Legally speaking, what would happen to them if I passed away? Am I still of an age where they would go to my parents? :dunno:

Being only 23 and living on my own with no dependents or anyone but myself to provide for, I have never thought about getting a will. This thread definitely brings up some new questions that I should address...:scratch:

If I were to pass away, given the information I provided:
    Do I personally need a will at my age?
    What would happen to my guns?
    Should I make a list of all my firearms and their estimated value? (parents would have no idea)
    What is the best way to keep directions on how to get into my safe without leaving that information available to a thief / BG?

Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    If you don't have a will, whoever is close to you and would go though your belongings when you died would find them, if they are honest people they will consult with closest family members of yours and decide who gets what. I would say a will is necessary for real property(vehicles, homes, land), or anything that requires a deed or title to prove ownership, otherwise it goes to your spouse if you have one(not sure who if you don't).

As far as the small things like your guns, a will is necessary if you have specific desires for where they go. Otherwise your parents/siblings or whenever finds them will decide on their own what to do.

I know there is a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo with regards to everything you own, but really, without a will people will just distribute you belongings as they see fit and about the only thing that will involve government interference is real property such as cars,land,homes,ect.

Unless you have real estate, or have relative you don't like and want no part in your belongings its not worth the effort.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I have a will and my guns are addressed in general. I was making a list for the will but every time I did that, in about 6 months it wasn't even close to being accurate. :D

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Something I have done, so my wife knows the value, is go to Gallery of Guns and print out the detail page of the firearm. Like this one here. www.GalleryOfGuns.com - Gun Genie - Davidson's most popular and powerful search engine to find and buy guns at galleryofguns.com And if I have extra magazines or accessories for said firearm I list it or print out a detail page for that as well. I also write the corresponding serial numbers on the same print out. It works out nice being as they have pictures of the guns on the print out that would help someone not real familiar with such identifying them.

I have found myself doing this pretty much for anything of value in our home, printing the product detail page from the retailer items were purchased from, not only for estate purposes but for insurance purposes as well.

Just thought I would share this for anyone who may also find this helpful.

Top Bottom