Do you live in a "Food Desert"... you probably do.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    TOTAL BS :noway:

Moved by Choice to the FOOD SAHARA. 15 unwalkable miles to an IGA where you can Afford to buy NOTHING. Dollar store next door which now carries milk, bread & some box processed food.

With the current Weather I might as well Live in Antarctica :( NO Snow
    Removal, Schools CLOSE.

The BAD thing or GOOD Thing is that I'm 30+ Miles to a Burger King (NOT My Favorite) 35+ Miles to a McDonalds or Hardees (My Favorite) 38 Miles to Taco Bell :rolleyes: 3/4 Mile to My mailbox, 3/4 mile to my nearest Neighbor. 37+ Miles to a Real Grocery Store (Kroger) 40 miles to a super small Wal-Mart. Aldi's CLOSED (Sad)

The GOOD THING, I'm SHERIFF of My Realm. 35+ Minutes to the County Sheriff, 30+ Minutes to EMS, 25+ to Volunteer Fire Department, they Bring the Marshmallows, ISP, writing tickets 50+ Minutes away. DNR, worried about process crimes, unreachable, I'm the Fire Fighter, the EMS, the Mechanic, the Carpenter, Plumber & Electrician. I will admit that Age has played a Cruel Trick but I'll continue to Live by 'Improvise. Adapt. Overcome' My LIFE'S MOTTO.

I'm a VICTIM and I'd have it NO OTHER WAY ;)

[video=youtube;YZ4z0QhD92Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ4z0QhD92Y[/video]

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I wouldn't worry about it too much they're just gearing up to create the next victim class and how to exploit them. Pretty typical tactics lately; create a crisis and mine it for all it's worth whether it's votes or cash.

Next!

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I wouldn't worry about it too much they're just gearing up to create the next victim class and how to exploit them. Pretty typical tactics lately; create a crisis and mine it for all it's worth whether it's votes or cash.

Next!

^This. Think about the real purpose of the definitions.

Most of us chose where to live. We understand where various retail establishments are located and decided what location is best for our needs/desires. For example, I chose to live in a residential/non-commercial area that is greater than 1 mile from supermarkets. All of my neighbors have chosen the same. Somehow, all of us with even modest means can buy as many fresh vegetables/etc as we wish. It isn't hard.

If you define something to make your point, your point is already made (people live in food deserts). If you actually consider whether people have reasonable access to fresh food, you have to say that the USDA definition is a political POS.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

It's interesting to go to the .gov link, click on "Go to the Atlas" to the left and play with the variables.

It's pretty obvious they only have the data for cities, and little to none on even the suburbs (or small Indiana towns). For example, my home is in a "food desert" by their definitions and doesn't show up in one via their atlas - no data outside the city.

There are also some funny, meaningless things on the map. For example, the IU campus is a "food desert." Believe it or not, there's no grocery store on campus. Duh. It's a university.

Select all the criteria and just about the whole city of Bloomington is a so-called "food desert." Bedford - food desert. And so on.

Nonsense.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    It's interesting to go to the .gov link, click on "Go to the Atlas" to the left and play with the variables.

It's pretty obvious they only have the data for cities, and little to none on even the suburbs (or small Indiana towns). For example, my home is in a "food desert" by their definitions and doesn't show up in one via their atlas - no data outside the city.

There are also some funny, meaningless things on the map. For example, the IU campus is a "food desert." Believe it or not, there's no grocery store on campus. Duh. It's a university.

Select all the criteria and just about the whole city of Bloomington is a so-called "food desert." Bedford - food desert. And so on.

Nonsense.

Butler campus is a food desert, as is North West Carmel, Rocky Ripple, and Meridian Hills... somebody should go there and help those people.

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Guys, maybe it was a typo... I bet they meant dessert... :)

I read dessert too. Now I am hungry for something sweet and tasty. I'd like to be trapped in this food dessert.

Cover-Whipped-Cream-and-Other-Delights.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    While by federal definition I live in one, I don't think of my residence as being in a food desert. It's running around just outside, I might have to shoot it and clean it, but it's there.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My Dad- super conservative (personally and otherwise), super straight arrow, ultra proper.

Also a super big fan of Herb Alpert. I now have his copy of this album.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Re: Whipped Cream & Other Delights: When I was alive when that album came out, but not very old. At first I though she was wearing a really weird dress. When I finally realized what she was wearing and what she wasn't wearing, I found out I was old enough to realize what a lucky b*****d Herb Alpert was.

Re: "Food Deserts." There are food deserts in Ethiopia. There are food deserts in parts of Sudan. North Korea. There are no food deserts in the USofA, at least not until Berie and AOC and their ilk get their way.

Top Bottom