Do you obsessively check your smartphone?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I don't have a smart phone. I only signed up for texting because I was receiving texts from people and it ended up being slightly cheaper to get the minimum plan. There's plenty of other things I'd rather pay $30 a month for.

Interesting article though.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Don't have one never will. Depresses me to see so many of my family with that damn phone stuck in their hand.

If my dad dies I do not need to know 13 seconds after it happens. Tell me when I get home, so at least I am not driving or need to drive right after finding out.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I refuse to do any reading or web surfing on any screen smaller than 10 inches. Everyone that has my number knows the only button I use for texts is "delete".

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    They don't call it a "crack berry" for nothin'

I'm guilty of it. My wife busts my chops all the time about it.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Not obsessed at all. I don't always have my phone with me and only pick up for calls or texts if I feel like talking to the person. I do have some apps that are really nice to have, can't always catch certain games and don't really like watching baseball on tv anyway. Set the app to update on score changes or every 3 innings. I don't check forums or facebook from my phone (not that I really even use facebook other than for a couple games).

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I took the tires off my car, and the striker out of my Glocks. I too, hate when things do what they're made for.
    :D

I'm already paying for email on the phone, why would I want to pay an extra $5 for text messaging? Besides, I get tired of hearing everyone else's phones beeping every 3 seconds when they get new texts.

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    I hate to say it but I am wired tight 24/7 to work ... I havent taken a real vacation in 5 years so I have resorted to cruises where I can get 0 signal.

It pays the bills , heck I have worked and solved alot of problems from a tree stand 25 foot up. It usually takes at least 3 days of solid woods time to decompress

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    No, I don't have a "smartphone" and probably never will.....
    I don't even buy, or wear a watch, because my phone has a clock on it ... I also have text blocked, .....

Avi8tor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Deep South
    I only answer texts or calls if I am by myself, or if I am not in a social setting such as a date or house party and I am not engaged in a conversation. No matter what the setting, I will still pull it out to silence it and glance at who is calling(just in case I am expecting a call or I suspect it is an emergency).

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    My phone is always on...on me...on my mind.

Not always the greatest thing, but not sure what I would do with it.

Avi8tor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Deep South
    A lot of the apps are very handy and I find my self using them all the time.

Such as:

• Identifying a song on the radio
    • Finding a cool new place to eat
    • Random information on the internet that I need right that second
    • Checking the weather before I go flying
    • A handy GPS for when I am in someone elses car

Now if I have access to a computer I don't use the phone much, but if I am not near one(which is most of the time), it is extremely helpful and definitely worth the $30 a month.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I would go into shock if I suddenly lost my iphone. You folks who are talking about disabling text and wouldn't have a smart phone - I'm guessing there's stuff your addicted to.

Last edited:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I'm not all that big of a fan of smartphones in general, but I do find them useful on occasion, like right now I'm using my phone to browse/post to INGO so I guess smartphone technology isn't all bad

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    I read INGO with it. I also do a lot of the other things mentioned here as well. We do live in a data-intense culture; I like taking advantage of what it has to offer ...it's okay if others don't.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Yes its sad but true, I always check my crackberry (really should not be labeled as a smart phone) Its a work and primary phone so I'm glued to it.... Once I find a new profession I plan to shut this sucker off.

Top Bottom