• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    RELIGIOUSLY. I don't care HOW you carry, hand to hand combatives training should be priority #1 for anyone who takes their safety seriously enough to carry a gun. The 21 foot rule is basically null and void when you consider the majority of attacks occur within 10 feet. That means the chances of ANY carrier being able to get their gun out and use it are even MORE unlikely than being attacked at all. Hence, carrying a gun DOES NOT replace need for hand to hand training.

In addition to that, you should learn and practice sound SA skills. Your survival in such situations will rely on your ability to see a threat coming or recognize the potential for.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    <Bracing myself for numerous INGO's calling me names>

Nope, no training - wouldn't mind having some at some point, but it's honestly not something I feel is critical right now. When I carry, I only open carry, but that's still only about every two weeks or so tops. I work out of my house (except when I'm traveling to Canada, which in the very near future will be 50% of the time) - so pretty much the only time I get out is when I'm picking up from or dropping off my kids at school.

That being said, I do study martial arts, and feel very safe with a knife in my hand.

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    <Bracing myself for numerous INGO's calling me names>

Nope, no training - wouldn't mind having some at some point, but it's honestly not something I feel is critical right now. When I carry, I only open carry, but that's still only about every two weeks or so tops. I work out of my house (except when I'm traveling to Canada, which in the very near future will be 50% of the time) - so pretty much the only time I get out is when I'm picking up from or dropping off my kids at school.

That being said, I do study martial arts, and feel very safe with a knife in my hand.

Rule #1, you're GOING to get cut. :D

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    OCers are just like CCers, few if any have training.

That would be my bet, based on personal experiance.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Rule #1, you're GOING to get cut. :D

Goes without saying, but where and how are very important things as I'm sure you know :D

If I see some random dude holding a knife with a regular grip, I would bet there's a 75% chance he has no idea what he's doing. I use the pikal grip myself, if I saw someone using a reverse or pikal grip, I have to assume they at least have some competency.

Anyways, not to jack the thread - if you carry every day, getting training on how to safely draw / use / retain your firearm in a self-defense situation is critical. I'm not terribly worried about the risks for the 5-10 minutes a day I typically spend outside my vehicle in a school parking lot. And if someone tries to enter my house, I will hear them and be ready, because I'll see them before they'll see me.

Last edited:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    If I see some random dude holding a knife with a regular grip, I would bet there's a 75% chance he has no idea what he's doing. I use the pikal grip myself, if I saw someone using a reverse or pikal grip, I have to assume they at least have some competency.

IMHO, that theory only holds water because of the underlying assumption that no matter HOW he holds it, there's a 75%(at least...) chance he has no idea what he's doing. There are LOTS of really good knife fighters who would put a "regular" grip at the top of the list of grip choices for an unspecified, vanilla situation/range.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Everyone should get training.

Good training will lead to better practices which will lead to better efficiency and a higher standard of preparedness which is what you will default to if and when you really need it.

I'm not convinced that your average citizen OCer would need it any more or less than your average CCer, but I do know that this is a commonly held opinion.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Not a big fan of the pikal grip myself...

I tend to use a "regular" grip myself. I also tend to favor Daggars as well...

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    IMHO, that theory only holds water because of the underlying assumption that no matter HOW he holds it, there's a 75%(at least...) chance he has no idea what he's doing. There are LOTS of really good knife fighters who would put a "regular" grip at the top of the list of grip choices for an unspecified, vanilla situation/range.
    Indeed. A LOT of factors play into the best method choice. Typically, the "aggressor" would/should prefer the "normal" grip and the "reactor" a reverse. But, that is based off my own studies/training and I'll drop this one here to prevent it from being :hijack:

AGAIN, if you carry you should ALWAYS seek additional training.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's a good idea to have some additional knowledge and skills to be able to retain or create distance if need be to deploy a firearm. Carrying a firearm should not be your only option.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

Goes without saying, but where and how are very important things as I'm sure you know :D

Anyways, not to jack the thread - if you carry every day, getting training on how to safely draw / use / retain your firearm in a self-defense situation is critical. I'm not terribly worried about the risks for the 5-10 minutes a day I typically spend outside my vehicle in a school parking lot. And if someone tries to enter my house, I will hear them and be ready, because I'll see them before they'll see me.

Not a big fan of the pikal grip myself...

I tend to use a "regular" grip myself. I also tend to favor Daggars as well...
    We should start a "knife fighting" thread in the Training section to discuss tactics and to keep this thread on topic.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera

Fair enough, I'm guessing though, that most criminal types don't practice knife fighting as much as "I'm holding a knife, give me your money."

I carry a knife pretty much every day. I've have taken training as far as how to use it. On the rare occasion I'm carrying a gun, I carry OC. Haven't had training because 90% of the time, where I'm going I can't carry a firearm anyway (kids school & Canada). If I carried my gun every day, I would take defensive training to better prepare myself to do so.

Last edited:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    We should start a "knife fighting" thread in the Training section to discuss tactics and to keep this thread on topic.

Agreed: GET TRAINING. Do it frequently. Rust sets in more quickly than you think, and everything happens too quickly for you to have to think through those fancy moves you learned at the TKD school behind the mall.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Fair enough, I'm guessing though, that most criminal types don't practice knife fighting as much as "I'm holding a knife, give me your money."

Agreed, I agreed with your 75% stat (though I think the number's even higher, across the board), just not the correlation to grip.

I'll avoid delving further into the grip and tactics issues, as was mentioned.

Train.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Would you carry around just a screwdriver when you build a house? Of course you wouldn't; that would be ludicrous. You'd have a toolbox full of dozens of different tools. A gun is a tool. That's all. It's not a magic get-out-of-trouble-free card. Furthermore, it should be only one of dozens of tools in your toolbox.

Your training regimen should include all kinds of self-defense, both with and without a gun.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Agreed: GET TRAINING. Do it frequently. Rust sets in more quickly than you think, and everything happens too quickly for you to have to think through those fancy moves you learned at the TKD school behind the mall.

I carry a knife pretty much every day. I've have taken training as far as how to use it. On the rare occasion I'm carrying a gun, I carry OC. Haven't had training because 90% of the time, where I'm going I can't carry a firearm anyway (kids school & Canada). If I carried my gun every day, I would take defensive training to better prepare myself to do so.

Here! Have at it. I always enjoy hand to hand and non-firearms related training. :D Knife fighting/training open discussion of methods. - INGunOwners

Top Bottom