• Do you own a passport?

• Total voters

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I went 21+ in the USAF without ever having one. Everywhere I went a military ID and orders worked. I remember a friend in Iceland calling the "official" passport the "red/shoot me first" passport.
    When we travelled overseas via commercial air through certain countries we were told that policy is we must use our official passport when transiting the airports, but unofficial policy is that you always use blue until that one doesn't do what you need it to do... that treated me well... only used my red one once and that's because my blue one expired while outside the country (didn't have time to get it renewed before I left).

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Top one is mine. The rest of the family has dual citizenship so they start to add up.

26229681_732849733580501_995053396013689050_n.jpg

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I just received mine last week. Took 3 weeks exactly to get it. Never had intentions of leaving the US, but going on vacation in the Cayman Islands in a few months.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I had one when i was younger but mexico and canada were as far as we went. Our stuff was stolen in canada and we were stuck there for a bit until we got several calls from some folks in dc and the embassy to get us back to the states. Haven't had a passport since then.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Fort Hood?

Now, imagine Texas with Brazilian steakhouses being brought to you at lunch, no truck time, and a giant armory to have your pick of guns, and wine from grapes grown on the estancia.

Yessir, spent 3.5 years down there and the dove hunting was pretty phenomenal.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I have one and have used it recently. However, there were many years when I was younger that I didn't have one. I visited Canada twice without having one, but don't know if the requirements have changed since then. I think one thing relatively unique to the US is that there isn't much reason to have a passport unless you have the money to afford a ticket for a long airline flight. I can see why everyone in Europe would have one, it's not a big deal to hop on a train and go to another country. Here, visiting another country is something that requires enough planning that it isn't illogical to wait to get the passport when you actually need it.

We had a student from Germany live with us during my senior year in high school. He kept complaining about why we didn't just go see the Grand Canyon or something like it on the weekend. We finally took a trip to see Washington D.C. and he was utterly astonished at how long it took just to get to the Ohio state line.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Even though we all have our passports, we don't really get out much. I've been to Canada several times for work and pleasure (fishing). Been to Italy, Austria, and Germany years ago. They way work has been going, I'll likely get the chance to go to Europe a bit, and South America. We have offices ALL OVER the place now. I've been asked to travel to Russia, the UK, and Saudi Arabia a few times, but the opportunity never went anywhere. So, I keep my passport up to date, just in case.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I have one and have used it recently. However, there were many years when I was younger that I didn't have one. I visited Canada twice without having one, but don't know if the requirements have changed since then. I think one thing relatively unique to the US is that there isn't much reason to have a passport unless you have the money to afford a ticket for a long airline flight. I can see why everyone in Europe would have one, it's not a big deal to hop on a train and go to another country. Here, visiting another country is something that requires enough planning that it isn't illogical to wait to get the passport when you actually need it.

We had a student from Germany live with us during my senior year in high school. He kept complaining about why we didn't just go see the Grand Canyon or something like it on the weekend. We finally took a trip to see Washington D.C. and he was utterly astonished at how long it took just to get to the Ohio state line.

It has. You used to be able to walk across the border to Canada/Mexico without anything but a DL... now you need a passport. Well kinda. You need a passport card for places you arrive over land, or by sea (Mexico/Canada/Caribbean)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I think many people in Europe don't have one.
    I can travel to 26 countries inside the EU without a passport with my EU citizenship.
    Things might change with Brexit but before that I always traveled to the UK without a passport.
    I'm on the northern coast of France so I can just go to England with a short boat ride, either on foot or by car.
    Not much planning needed.
    And if I pack my lunch and come back home in the evening by taking the lastest boat I don't even need to eat British food. :):

When I got my first passport I had already traveled to a dozen of countries.

Kevinslaterjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2018
    South bend
    I own a passport. Just recently got back from southern Australia. Beautiful country, beautiful women, weather was phenomenal.
    Expensive as hell and a pain in the rear to get there, but would recommend to all

Top Bottom