Do you really save that much money reloading your own ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    I dont reload myself but have given it some thought lately. I was wondering how much money you actually save and if its worth it counting the time used to do this.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I load .45 exclusively now. A box of factory ranges anywhere from $21 up.
    I'm reloading under ten bucks per 50rd box.
    I shoot quite a bit and there's no way I could afford that sort of volume if I didn't reload.
    YMMV

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Best price I've seen for a case of factory 9mm is $190 + shipping for plain plinking rounds.
    I can reload that for exactly $106

Price for .45acp plinking $295 + shipping
    I reload it for exactly $171

Price for .223 plinking $276 + shipping
    I reload it for exactly $164

I would have an even better ratio if I reloaded match or specialty ammo

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I look at it this way: I don't actually 'save' money by reloading, but I can sure as heck shoot a bunch more for what I do spend.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    I look at it this way: I don't actually 'save' money by reloading, but I can sure as heck shoot a bunch more for what I do spend.

Agree....

Reloading adds another aspect to the whole hobby. You can try different bullet weights and powders as part of the fun. I find it very relaxing too.

I have an old single shot .218 Bee (think .22 Hornet) that would cost $$$ for factory ammo. This is my little groundhog gun. Probably wouldn't shoot it unless I could reload.

You didn't ask.... but you don't have to spend a fortune to get started!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If you're talking 9mm, 45ACP and 223/5.56, you aren't going to save money AS FAST as you will when shooting more obscure rounds. But, if you shoot a lot of rounds, it adds up pretty quick. The rule of thumb I use is that I can generally reload for 40-60% of the cost of factory ammo. So, if the 44/40 rounds are $40 for a box of 50, I can load those for right around $16/50. You generally don't save as much per round on the more common stuff.

Another thing to realize about loading your own is that you can put together truly "premium" ammunition, for less than the cost of bargain basement stuff off the shelf. There are many ways to look at it and I suppose it really does come down to how much you value your time. I think it is safe to say that those of us who reload a lot enjoy it as a hobby...the cost savings and the ability to shoot a whole lot more for the same price are just fringe benefits. :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    I agree with the guys above. It won't save you any money but you can shoot a lot more. You also have to look at what you are shooting. If you are comparing reloading to the cheapest stuff you can find it will take you a while to recoup cost. But usually when you reload you get a better quality then the cheap stuff.
    The other positive to reloading is you really customize your loads to use what your gun really like. One of my rifles can't shoot 55 gr worth a darn but that's about all I can find around my little town that is a decent price. I can reload 62gr and 69 gr for less then commercial 55 gr. The only thing I will warn you about is not to carry reloads for personal defense, from what I hear if you use it, it can become a legal nightmare.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    IMAG0257.jpg

I shot this group yesterday with handloads. This is 100 rounds at 21 feet, most shot by me a few shot by a young lady that was with another member. I had a few of the flyers but that is my fault. For the price of this hundred I have maybe $ 20 dollars invested, if you can find .40 in that range let me know where it is please. Something else to remember is if things go real bad at least you can load your own ammo.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Im in it strictly for the cheapness of it so I say, yes, you can do it cheaper.

I like to go to training classes. They can require 1,000 or more rounds for the course. The cost of the ammo has gotten higher than the tuition. So, I reload for training rounds.

I don't care about accuracy, special bullet weights, powders, etc. If I'm shooting paper at 10 yards, none of that matters. I just want what safely goes bang and cycles in my gun.

I buy the cheapest components that work, borrow or trade for most of my equipment and the end result are training rounds half the cost of the Wal-Mart WWB. The WWB are towards the lower end of the price range of ammo.

So, yes, I can personally load for much cheaper than I can buy. And it keeps more classes in my price range.

If your idea of training is a box or two at the range once or twice a month, I probably wouldn't mess with the reloading process.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Best price I've seen for a case of factory 9mm is $190 + shipping for plain plinking rounds.
    I can reload that for exactly $106
    Do you mind my asking where you get your components? I found that using components from Midway would run about $150 per 1000, and that is before shipping and hazmat fees.

I figure, when it's all said and done, if I am going to get near $200 per 1000 I might as well just order a case of factory loads and save my time and tool money to put towards other projects.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Do you mind my asking where you get your components? I found that using components from Midway would run about $150 per 1000, and that is before shipping and hazmat fees.

I figure, when it's all said and done, if I am going to get near $200 per 1000 I might as well just order a case of factory loads and save my time and tool money to put towards other projects.

$106/1000 is doing really great. I would assume that this is lead and not plated or jacketed. I buy from Power Bond or Graf and Sons for my plated bullets and use CCI spp. My loads with plated bullets run $125.00/1000. Still a lot cheaper than store bought. This is also using my fired brass.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.

Don't buy hazmat from midway, they bend you over twice. Their prices are high in general though

$20 per k for tulammo primers which I find to be just as good as winchester but not as slick or smooth as the nickel primers from CCI
    $7 per k for HP38 powder. Buy in 8lb jugs and HP38 is the same as the more expensive win231
    $79 per k for 115gn xtreme plated bullets
    Brass is free from dads range in Ohio but shouldn't cost more than $25 per k for once fired

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Don't buy hazmat from midway, they bend you over twice. Their prices are high in general though

$20 per k for tulammo primers which I find to be just as good as winchester
    $7 per k for HP38 powder. Buy in 8lb jugs and HP38 is the same as the more expensive win231
    Brass is free from dads range in Ohio

Found the savings. $20.00/1000 primers takes $10.00 off per 1000. Where are you getting them for $20.00 if you don't mind?

BTW, the xtreme bullets have gone up a couple bucks here lately.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    $106/1000 is doing really great. I would assume that this is lead and not plated or jacketed. I buy from Power Bond or Graf and Sons for my plated bullets and use CCI spp. My loads with plated bullets run $125.00/1000. Still a lot cheaper than store bought. This is also using my fired brass.
    That's what I was thinking. $106 is cheap, but like you said, they're probably cast bullets and I need plated or jacketed for my pistols.

I'm still debating on getting in to reloading, but I always see so many varying costs for what you can reload a certain caliber for. Sometimes they seem like they are almost too low to be true.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield

$20 per k for tulammo primers which I find to be just as good as winchester but not as slick or smooth as the nickel primers from CCI
    Brass is free from dads range in Ohio but shouldn't cost more than $25 per k for once fired
    Those prices make it all seem a lot more financially reasonable. Where do you buy your supplies from?

Also, what recipe do you use, and what pistol are you shooting it out of?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    That's what I was thinking. $106 is cheap, but like you said, they're probably cast bullets and I need plated or jacketed for my pistols.

I'm still debating on getting in to reloading, but I always see so many varying costs for what you can reload a certain caliber for. Sometimes they seem like they are almost too low to be true.

Stop debating. I reload on a cheap Lee turret press and knock out a hundred or so each evening instead of watching the boob tube. The two things that I wouldn't suggest scrimping on though are your calipers and scale. These can be very important in preventing serious problems.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Stop debating. I reload on a cheap Lee turret press and knock out a hundred or so each evening instead of watching the boob tube. The two things that I wouldn't suggest scrimping on though are your calipers and scale. These can be very important in preventing serious problems.
    I have so many other projects, hobbies, etc going on I hardly even have time to rot my brain away watching TV.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    One question I ask guys who want to shoot the absolute CHEAPEST rounds possible, whether factory or handloaded, is whether or not they buy "BEER" in yellow cans or generic toilet paper. If you won't drink or wipe your a** with junk, why would you run it through your gun?

Reloading is not about shooting a million rounds for $20...it's about having quality ammunition at an affordable price. Now, if all you want is to shoot thousands of rounds a month, OK; get yourself a Dillon 650 and have at 'er. You'll DEFINITELY be saving some money, if you shoot that much. However, even if you're a more casual shooter than that, why not put excellent ammo down your gun for the cost of that cheap WWB crap at Wally world?

And if you ever do something more than shoot 9, 45 or 223, you'll be all set for some serious long-range rifle or cowboy-action shooting! ;)

Top Bottom