• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    i dont reload i have been thinking about starting but im trying to guess a ballpark figure of the costs for 9mm.

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    i do reload 9mm and the cost about .10 to .14 depending where do you get the supplies, but not Worth if you going to load small amounts, once you count the material, time and equipment, may be better get specials in ammo or get bulk, in my case i do not save, more you produce more you spent, for me going to the range and waste 800 rounds is normal so i have to re load and don't feel bad about it.
    Beside re loading is relaxing to me so is kind ot therapy after a hard day work because i reload mostly at nights.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    i do reload 9mm and the cost about .10 to .14 depending where do you get the supplies, but not Worth if you going to load small amounts, once you count the material, time and equipment, may be better get specials in ammo or get bulk, in my case i do not save, more you produce more you spent, for me going to the range and waste 800 rounds is normal so i have to re load and don't feel bad about it.
    Beside re loading is relaxing to me so is kind ot therapy after a hard day work because i reload mostly at nights.

do you use cast bullets?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Jacketed bullets without buying anything in bulk, I'm around 17¢ per round. That's a couple bucks cheaper than the cheapest box of 50 rounds at Walmart.

I haven't yet saved money (spent less total for the same amount of ammo), but I do have another fun hobby. I've spent around $600 on reloading stuff, so saving $2 on 9mm will take me a long time to get ahead. However, I save way more on .223 and (especially) .380. I'm transitioning to lead bullets for the handguns, too, so I will start saving quite a bit more after I run out of these last 500 or so jacketed.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have everything I need to do it but dont really know how to do it ...i have everything I need as far as equipment...i am going to tackle it this winter

It's a bit scary at first isn't it?

I mean you are dealing with explosives and making your own ammo, you dont want to blow your face up with over charged rounds if you dont know what you are doing.

For now I trust the ammo brands that have been doing it for decades or even centuries for some of them.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I have everything I need to do it but dont really know how to do it ...i have everything I need as far as equipment...i am going to tackle it this winter

Just like firearms, have a healthy respect for what you're dealing with, read a couple of good reloading manuals, arrange to spend a bit of time with someone who has been reloading for a while, and you'll be fine. It's good to shoot more for less money. :yesway:

If you're interested, I'm an hour and twenty minutes north of you. :patriot:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

I mean you are dealing with explosives and making your own ammo, you dont want to blow your face up with over charged rounds if you dont know what you are doing.

For now I trust the ammo brands that have been doing it for decades or even centuries for some of them.

It's actually safer to rely on your own handmade ammo than someone else's.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I reload 9mm. Using plated bullets I run around .14 a round ($7 per box).

As others have said though, my primary reason to reload is not to save $$. Rather it's an extension of the hobby and I enjoy the time spent doing it. I also reload many other calibers (45 ACP, 40 S&W, .357, 38SPL) and in those your savings will be greater than they are with 9mm.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Using jacketed bullets and VV powder, $135/1k rounds.

It's half the price of WWB, twice as clean, and twice as accurate in my guns. And, since I'm using JHPs running 1150fps (same as non+p 9mm Gold dot, and I can bump that up to 1250 anytime), they'll work OK in case of the zombie apocalypse.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    While there may be no great financial impact to reloading 9mm the potential benefits in accuracy, consistency, versatility and personal pride are generous.

BTW - Reloading and handloading are very safe if you just follow the process and pay attention. No one should ever feel afraid to create their own ammo. If you are capable of handling a firearm safely then you can reload safely.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Back when the Obama panic buying was in full swing and you couldn't find a box of 9mm for under $20 it was worth my time to reload it. Now, in todays prices when a box of 50rds can be had for just shy of $10 I don't think it's worth my time.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

LOL, yeah it is. I started reloading when I was 22, because I just had to have a 300 Remington Ultra Mag and the price of ammo was outragious. There's 100 grains of powder in some of those loads and the first time I fired off a round I made I said a little prayer first. Loading for a 300 RUM saved me all kinds of money though.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I reload 9mm. Using plated bullets I run around .14 a round ($7 per box).

That's about dead on if you buy components by the thousand, but doesn't include shipping. YMMV.

You'll save about $30/1000 ($1.50/box) by shooting lead over plated.

It's about $8/50 for FMJ (cheapest bullets I can find).

I only occasionally reload 9mm, and due to that I don't get all the cost savings -- you only realize the full cost savings above after you reload the brass five times... if it's once fired and you can find it for $30/1000, which is getting tough these days.

I don't shoot enough 9mm to matter, and I rely on range pickups to keep me stocked for brass, so yes, if you count that and the fact that I bought all my 9mm brass 10 years ago when the price of brass was way lower I can save a substantial amount.

I pay for my reloading gear by loading .40, .380, .38, .357, .223, and .308. I load 9mm when I need 9mm and don't worry about what it costs. I buy it when I don't have time to load it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm reloading for roughly $6 per 50. The cheapest factory ammo I have seen in town is $12 + per 50. A LB. of powder will be enough to reload aproximately 1,600 rounds according to my calculations, that cost me $17. I bought 1,000 winchester FMJ bullets, $100. I also bought 1,000 CCI small pistols primers, $32

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm reloading for roughly $6 per 50. The cheapest factory ammo I have seen in town is $12 + per 50. A LB. of powder will be enough to reload aproximately 1,600 rounds according to my calculations, that cost me $17. I bought 1,000 winchester FMJ bullets, $100. I also bought 1,000 CCI small pistols primers, $32
    Thats what I was seeing as well as I plan on just shooting reloads.

Top Bottom