Do you reload? Do you intend to Bug Out? What to do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    So, I have a few wooden military ammo crates, the smaller type. I had some leftover pine from a honey-do project so I thought it would be fun to build one of my own based on a copy of one I bought.

ReloaderBox1_zpsf7bqdsl0.jpg

Well, after finishing the crate it occurred to me that I had the solution to something that I had been trying to figure out for some time. A box for my Lock n Load press!
    ReloaderBox2_zpsdyxlwewv.jpg

Inside this box:

Complete LnL press
    locknloadap_zpsxi9940b9.jpg

RCBS 5-0-5 scale
    RCBS Dial Caliper
    Forester 3 Die set in .223
    RCBS Precision Mic in .223

And I have enough room for another Die set and Precision Mic.

Primers, powder, cases, & projectiles are already stored in similar boxes.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I like the crate, but why would you need a box for your press? Do you dig it out, bolt it down, and re-set it up every time you want to load?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I like the crate, but why would you need a box for your press? Do you dig it out, bolt it down, and re-set it up every time you want to load?

Thanks. I leave it up, ready to load most of the time. But here's the idea:

I live in house A in a suburb of city X. Caca hits the fan and civil unrest befalls city X on Saturday. By Sunday civil unrest is spreading to the suburbs near my house A. The smart one of the family and I decide it is time to retreat to house B, which is many miles from house A. And time is short. I only have time to grab "essential" items to bug out, things I can easily grab and toss in the vehicle. 3 crates give me the ability to manufacture 80% of the ammo I need for the firearms I am taking with us. The other 20% (rimfire, btw) is in another crate.

Just my hobby...

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I already have spare Lee Classic Turrets stashed in several likely BOLs. Takes up less room and not as finicky in setup. Components are another matter.

This is one of the reasons I chose the LnL, much less finicky than the Blue One in setup. I literally took the press out of the box after this pic, bolted it back on the bench, clicked in the dies and ran a few rounds through it. The powder dispenser was < .5 gr off of what I wanted (which could be accounted for by change in temp or humidity) and the OAL was spot on!

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    .....time is short. I only have time to grab "essential" items to bug out, things I can easily grab and toss in the vehicle....

Nice workmanship.

I have to take exception to your plan. Reloading is for the Preparation Phase. You need loaded ammo, not tools and components, for the Evacuation Phase. Loaded ammo is smaller and lighter than components plus loading tools. Invest the time and energy loading ammo while things are peaceful and comfortable, not after SHTF.

I find it ironic that you would not put loaded ammo in the ammo crate. Better than reloaded ammo is factory loaded ammo, especially when things get real.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Well, having a background in engineering helps one understand how it works. :draw:
    That is exactly how I got into reloading. Back in 97 I gave my younger brother, the engineer, a full blown Dillon as a special wedding gift just from me to him. All those duck commander boys in LA think you are cool too when you do that,but I was really doing it for me. Then my set up just mirrors his. My newest victory was getting him to go .300 Black. I am looking forward to what "we" come up with for our SBR's.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Nice workmanship.

I have to take exception to your plan. Reloading is for the Preparation Phase. You need loaded ammo, not tools and components, for the Evacuation Phase. Loaded ammo is smaller and lighter than components plus loading tools. Invest the time and energy loading ammo while things are peaceful and comfortable, not after SHTF.

I find it ironic that you would not put loaded ammo in the ammo crate. Better than reloaded ammo is factory loaded ammo, especially when things get real.

Well, yes. But then what?

Yes sir, build all you can before the fact. But if your squad is only six and it takes them six trips to carry what you've built out to the trailer, I think you've done your job! The expectation is to leave and never come back, I want to take my reloading capability with me, "so I can reload another day".

That is exactly how I got into reloading. Back in 97 I gave my younger brother, the engineer, a full blown Dillon as a special wedding gift just from me to him. All those duck commander boys in LA think you are cool too when you do that,but I was really doing it for me. Then my set up just mirrors his. My newest victory was getting him to go .300 Black. I am looking forward to what "we" come up with for our SBR's.

Good plan sir!

Nice work John.

Meh.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Better than reloaded ammo is factory loaded ammo, especially when things get real.

How do you figure? Even just loading 9mm I can tell a marked improvement in accuracy and consistency with my own loads over factory loads. These improvements become exponentially more apparent in the kind of HP shooting that IJ does.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    How do you figure? Even just loading 9mm I can tell a marked improvement in accuracy and consistency with my own loads over factory loads. These improvements become exponentially more apparent in the kind of HP shooting that IJ does.

If he spent a day reloading match loads with me, I think he'd see the difference.. Just sayin'

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Bingo. At least I KNOW my loads are built properly.

A person can't always say that for box ammo.

In a bad situation, the fewer variables you have, the better. Yet another hot-charged XM193 round could be the end of your rifle, and THAT could be the end of your life in the type situation of which Mr. John speaks. You cannot be losing tools, least of all your fingers and eyes.

-Nate

Top Bottom