• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I absolutely disagree with this. I think that a price should be agreed upon before the face to face meet. I would be mad as hell if someone tried to negotiate a different price at the meet, especially if there was travel time involved.
    This right here. Negotiate and agree upon the price prior to meet up. Don't be a Darth Vader.

As far as the given value on a firearm, it is all a matter of perspective. I can respect an individual who wants to make as much as they can on a sale. On the other hand, I watch the classifieds on several boards so I can make a reasonable bid on an item. I'm not into paying full, or close to full MSRP on a used firearm.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I just respond with the price listed in the post. I believe negotiations should be made face to face.
    If I'm selling something, with a price listed, you agree to purchase, show up, and then try negotiating a lower price, you'll either pay more than what I asked initially, or we both wasted a trip, in which case I'll get back in my truck, come back home, pull up INGO, give you negative feedback, and maybe post up a thread.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If I'm selling something, with a price listed, you agree to purchase, show up, and then try negotiating a lower price, you'll either pay more than what I asked initially, or we both wasted a trip, in which case I'll get back in my truck, come back home, pull up INGO, give you negative feedback, and maybe post up a thread.
    Even if he has a legit beef with its condition as my example in post 14?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I want to see if I’m just crazy or others have bad buyer etiquette.

If you’ve got something for sale and it’s very reasonably priced, do you respond to potential buyers that start their conversation off with “what’s your lowest price?”

To me, this is poor practice. I do not respond to those types of questions when selling, and feel that if you list your product well, and price your item fairly, those kinds of questions shouldn’t even exist, and knowledgeable potential buyers will start with a good idea what something is worth and where the wiggle-room is.

Curious as to what the community’s thoughts are.

Cut the price in half and ask for a front and back photo of their credit card.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I must be the only one that likes to negotiate in person. Bet car dealerships love yall lol. Im not agreeing to purchase anything used without putting my hands on it and inspecting it myself first.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I must be the only one that likes to negotiate in person. Bet car dealerships love yall lol. Im not agreeing to purchase anything used without putting my hands on it and inspecting it myself first.
    Well, except only the buyer is traveling to the car dealership. So if you can't come to a price that both agree to, only your time/gas money has been wasted.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    What do you on a car lot or when you buy a house, motorcycle, or atv... negotiating is part of buying/selling.. I know guns aren’t oranges to apples here but a deal is a deal is a deal..
    Problem I've run into is "asking 600, offer of 550" I accept the offer and next response might be I have 500 and can meet today.. Offers are just talk until there is real green money on the table.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I must be the only one that likes to negotiate in person. Bet car dealerships love yall lol.
    Apples and oranges.

For a deal here, it is expected you will pay the agreed price when you show up. Agreeing on the listed price, only to show up and haggle for no reason other than to get a better deal, is rude AF.

The car dealers job is to be there all the time and hawk his wares. He will be there anyway, and nothing changes that. Here, we expect to be compensated for a pre-agreed price, and take time out of our day to meet you. To show up and not be willing to pay the agreed upon price is a dick move.

Like I said, there is a legit reason based on hidden defects to offer a lower price. But that is it.

Lets turn the tables.

You call the dealer and ask if the 2007 GMC Sierra is available. He tells you it is, and the price is $5,999.00. So you take time out of your day and drive over. When you get there the dealer says "I was wrong. I forgot the price was really $6,999.00. Sign here. " Now you have to get him to honor what you agreed to before you left the house. And if he doesnt, your time was wasted. See what we mean?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    This would be fine if it's agreed to beforehand. Maybe, hey do you mind if I stop by and take a look at it, or agree to meet up close to a seller's house.

That said I've travelled some distance to meet and even been met halfway by Ingo members, and I'm not wasting their time without intentions to pay asking price, otherwise the price should be negotiated beforehand.

If the item is misrepresented that's a different story.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I always list something a little higher than I will take because there are some guys that simply have to knock something off. If I listed it at $500 and that is my price, they won't buy it. If I list it at $600 they will buy it at $550 :lmfao:

ETA: no way I am selling to someone that tries to change the price after we meet when we had an agreed price.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    This would be fine if it's agreed to beforehand. Maybe, hey do you mind if I stop by and take a look at it, or agree to meet up close to a seller's house.

That said Ive travelled some distance to meet and even been met halfway by Ingo members, and I'm not wasting their time without intentions to pay asking price, otherwise the price should be negotiated beforehand.

If the item is misrepresented that's a different story.
    And I can agree with this. But it seems the buyer is driving to wherever the seller is willing to meet which is usually local to the seller. If someone meets me halfway, the deal is 100% locked in. On the other hand if someone drives to 2 hours to me and tries to negotiate a better price when im only 20 minutes from home im not going to get offended. Ill probably let them have the $25 or $50 off. If i feel i should try and get shot down ill pay up no big deal.

Lets turn the tables.

You call the dealer and ask if the 2007 GMC Sierra is available. He tells you it is, and the price is $5,999.00. So you take time out of your day and drive over. When you get there the dealer says "I was wrong. I forgot the price was really $6,999.00. Sign here. " Now you have to get him to honor what you agreed to before you left the house. And if he doesnt, your time was wasted. See what we mean?
    Well since you asked id be more pissed about a raise in the price than the time i wasted to look at it lol. Also im not a dick, i absolutely let someone bring something to me then try to negotiate.
    ————————————

Just to clarify a bit...

Look fellas, I prefer to do business in person on your turf most of the time. Which means i drive to you, check out what your selling, and ill either pay the full asking price or offer what i think is fair. If your asking price is fair, im wont negotiate, ill pull green backs out snd pay up but im not locked into buying until that point. If i waste my time and my gas thats my problem. If it takes up 20 minutes of your day, and $5 in gas to potentially make that sale 5 miles from your house, then well, thats just the cost of doing business private party. I wouldnt be mad about it if i were the seller in that situation but if the thinner skin does it is what it is. If someone meets me halfway to trade we get the terms locked in before we leave the house. If one party sees something unexpected then they reserve the right to back out. Its the same way with everything else in life so why should firearms be an exception?

The first rule of selling is not to be so thin skinned you get insulted.
    This.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    A friend and I set up at a small show many years ago to sell some guns for another friend we knew that had a shop. We had two tables of all new guns and had them marked very fairly and cheaper than a lot of the other dealers around us. Towards the end of the first day we were bewildered that we hadn’t sold much of anything and those around us with higher prices seemed to be selling ok. After talking about it we thought it might have been because we were asking what the owner said he wanted for the guns so we were firm on the prices. We spent that evening changing all the tags with prices that were $20 higher and when asked about the price we’d take $10-20 off each gun. Sunday we sold half the guns we brought and were busy all day! Sometimes people just have to feel as if they got “a deal” even if the price is already a deal.
    I’m guilty of asking someone when face to face if the price they quoted is what they have to have and if they say yes it’s no biggie since we agreed to meet. Sometimes people will take a few bucks less and sometimes not. I’m not trying to be rude or back out of a deal, just trying to save a few bucks. I’m not offended when people ask me that question and I hope I don’t offend anyone either.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Youd be more pissed about the raise in price just like the seller, expecting to sell his item for what he was asking, being offered less out of the blue. Same difference, but just reversed roles. Hopefully now you understand.

Typical interactions here are "I'll take it. Lets work out the when and where." and it sells for the agreed upon price.

I guess as long as you are upfront and let them know they dont have a solid deal until you have decided whether to haggle with them face to face, I guess its cool. But honestly Ive never seen that happen here. Its either negotiated up front and price agreed to before the meet, or its a straight up. "I'll take it" and it sells at that price. (barring complications)

I had one deal change slightly at the meetup when something was not disclosed upfront but we were able to come to a fair agreement. We agreed on a pistol with 2 mags. At the meet he apologized he could only find one mag. So I offered him $20 less (approximate cost to replace what should have been in the deal) and we both walked away happy.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A friend and I set up at a small show many years ago to sell some guns for another friend we knew that had a shop. We had two tables of all new guns and had them marked very fairly and cheaper than a lot of the other dealers around us. Towards the end of the first day we were bewildered that we hadn’t sold much of anything and those around us with higher prices seemed to be selling ok. After talking about it we thought it might have been because we were asking what the owner said he wanted for the guns so we were firm on the prices. We spent that evening changing all the tags with prices that were $20 higher and when asked about the price we’d take $10-20 off each gun. Sunday we sold half the guns we brought and were busy all day! Sometimes people just have to feel as if they got “a deal” even if the price is already a deal.
    I’m guilty of asking someone when face to face if the price they quoted is what they have to have and if they say yes it’s no biggie since we agreed to meet. Sometimes people will take a few bucks less and sometimes not. I’m not trying to be rude or back out of a deal, just trying to save a few bucks. I’m not offended when people ask me that question and I hope I don’t offend anyone either.
    On INGO, I'll usually ask if they'd consider a "slightly" lower price, even if I'm willing to pay the asking price. If they say no, I usually reply, "Okay, just had to ask. I'll take it." :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Even if he has a legit beef with its condition as my example in post 14?
    I did not read #14 but I will state this....."AGAIN"
    To all that are so lazy as not to post a full size and easy to see detail pic of you item I really do not like you.
    That said, Ingo has made this so damned easy to post a good set of pics showing all aspects of the item.
    It is up to the seller to be honest as to condition. If it is not up to what was discussed then yes, mount up and roll out. Then let me know.
    Selling a damaged or faulty gun is a serious sin.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    On INGO, I'll usually ask if they'd consider a "slightly" lower price, even if I'm willing to pay the asking price. If they say no, I usually reply, "Okay, just had to ask. I'll take it." :)
    Yup, I’ve done that before as well. If they don’t want to negotiate I either say thanks and move along or agree on the asking price. I’ve never had any issues with any Ingo member and deals have gone fairly smoothly.

Top Bottom