• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I asked before and it wasn't answered, so I'll ask again. For all of you swinging ducks out there, how many rounds did you utilize in your last firefight (Military excluded).

Unless you're a LEO, the answer, most likely, is "NONE".

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The compression does not wear your springs wear out. There could be some creep over time, but alternating stresses are actually what destroys a metal.

Metal fatigue only requires stress, not alternating stress..;)

The springs do weaken over time. A fully loaded mag left motionless for 20 years will have less tension than when new.

It might be very minor, but it does happen.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    It all depends on how long you leave 100% in a Mag.
    In S.V.N. many lost their life because the springs in their M-16s broke. All were loaded to the max.
    In combat I would say yes. Back in camp I removed 3 or 4 rounds.
    If you practice a good tactical reload. Having 27 and not 30 rounds means very little.
    I would rather have a working 27 rounds than a broken 30 rounds mag.
    No civilian in the U.S of A. today has run into a situation that they needed more than a few rounds to do a great job.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I asked before and it wasn't answered, so I'll ask again. For all of you swinging d*ks out there, how many rounds did you utilize in your last firefight (Military excluded).

Unless you're a LEO, the answer, most likely, is "NONE".
    And what point are you trying to make with your insult?

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    And what point are you trying to make with your insult?

It's not an insult. But, to inject a bit of reality into the discussion, and as someone else said a page back, there probably has never been a situation where the outcome was different in a civilian situation in the USA where a mag was topped off or not.

It's not a relevant real world point.

So, saying something like this "must be done" is bravado. Period.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I might be alone in this, but I don't always top off after putting one in the chamber. Maybe I got out of the habit when I had a subcompact glock, but it felt like there was a lot of pressure on the mag, and I was afraid of accidental mag release - even after a year of "breaking in" those mags. Other pistols, even other Glocks, don't worry me as much, but in a 15 rd mag, I load to 15 in the mag, load gun and just leave it as is. I don't go for the +1 capacity. Spare mag always loaded to capacity.
    I understand the logic of going +1, but I personally felt better without going +1

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I always carry +1, no, I'll probably never need that 20th round in my XDm, but why wouldn't I want the extra, just in case?

My XDm mags fully loaded with +1 were tight for awhile, but they broke in nicely.

In my vz.58, I typically don't +1... don't really know why I don't, just don't. a full load in the mag though.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    It's not an insult. But, to inject a bit of reality into the discussion, and as someone else said a page back, there probably has never been a situation where the outcome was different in a civilian situation in the USA where a mag was topped off or not.

And you are probably right about that. I too doubt that anyone one this forum has been saved by the 18th round in their Glock 17. It isn't a necessity by any means. If you needed 18, you brought a pistol to a rifle fight. But there are those of us who eternally ask themselves "What if....?" :yesway:

SIGguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    I leave ten rounds in my everyday carry 13 rd mag to save the spring life a little since it sometimes goes months without seeing a round through it or the mag gets unloaded for a couple drops of grease. But I do keep 2 spare mags(10 rds in each) in the glove box with a spare box of ammo lmfao

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

The only reality I find pertinent to this discussion is the following question:

Will I ever wish I didn't have that extra round?

I certainly hope I don't need to use any, let alone all of the rounds I carry in a firefight - but I'll never wish I had less available.

Top Bottom