• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    The compression does not wear your springs wear out. There could be some creep over time, but alternating stresses are actually what destroys a metal.

My second tour in Iraq we did an experiment loaded 27 rounds into a 30 round mag and left it for 7 months. What we found out was it did indeed fail the spring was compressed about 1/4in compared to a mag that hadn't been loaded. Firing with the mag we had several double feeds. Eventually in time they fail.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    My second tour in Iraq we did an experiment loaded 27 rounds into a 30 round mag and left it for 7 months. What we found out was it did indeed fail the spring was compressed about 1/4in compared to a mag that hadn't been loaded. Firing with the mag we had several double feeds. Eventually in time they fail.

I have no doubts that the good old US government let sub standard and likely overpriced equipment go into the hands of our servicemen. Thanks for your service by the way.
    I have had 3 1911 mags loaded to full capacity now for 16 years. The only time they are empty is when I am using them, and then loaded back up right away. 1 is a Springfield mag, 2 are Colt. No failure out of the 1911 since day 2. Needed an initial cleaning to get slide lock to consistently function.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I have been a proponent of cycling mags so the springs rest. Many on this forum and others have stated they just leave them. A spring will develop a memory.
    I learned this while working with some of the best engine builders in the racing industry. When we would let the dyno mule sit for a period we always pulled the rockers to let the valve springs set full extension. I did the same with our race cars over the winter. We got more time from our valve springs than anyone we ran against.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have no doubts that the good old US government let sub standard and likely overpriced equipment go into the hands of our servicemen. Thanks for your service by the way.
    I have had 3 1911 mags loaded to full capacity now for 16 years. The only time they are empty is when I am using them, and then loaded back up right away. 1 is a Springfield mag, 2 are Colt. No failure out of the 1911 since day 2. Needed an initial cleaning to get slide lock to consistently function.

You have nothing to fear anyways. Everyone knows that just one .45 bullet fired from a 1911 will blow up and destroy a bad guy immediately.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    On a carry gun, yes, storing AR/AK mags, I generally fall to about 25rds a mag. If i carry it, the mag/spring/lips are consumables. If i have to replacw periodically i can accept that. I realize the bit about the spring being okay, and I believe it, but it's just what I do... My thoughts on ar aluminum mags is worrying about the feed lips more than the spring. I may have to top em off anyway...

Freedom4all

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Martinsville
    Always go full +1. If its ever needed it may be the last round in your mag that saves your life or your families. If its not there you can always bet the bad guys didn't come short handed. The one in the chamber is the most important. If you have to think about clambering one, well then your already one step behind. And that could very well be the difference between what car takes you home (hurst or yours). Just say'n.

Boring2u

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    I suppose it's time to start +1'ng it everywhere. Owned my 1st and only EDC for about 3 months now. Finally time to add another defender in there.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I have the habit of carrying my semi-autos downloaded by two thus:

XDm full size 9mm

1 in chamber and 17 in (19 round) mag

compact XDm 9mm:

1 in chamber and 11 in (13 round) mag

I read in some gun magazines 20 years ago that this practice will make the magazine springs last longer. I don't know if this is true or not but I figure it cant hurt.

Now when I'm going to the range the next day and I'm pre-loading all my magazines then I load them fully. I just don't like the idea of them being fully loaded to the max for an indefinite period of time.

For EDC or range?
    You would trade two chances to save your life, over a magazine spring? Christ, I wonder if you also wash your paper towels and hang them up to dry.

Top Bottom