• ...and so much more!
  • Do you use Winter Tires?

• Total voters

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Michelin X-ice on my Audi, General Altimax Arctic on the wife's Lexus. Both are AWD and both are 100% better to drive with them than all seasons. Have a set of Nokians on my 4x4 truck that are AT tires but have the snowflake symbol. They are amazing.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    My little front wheel drive car has got me everywhere I needed to go. I really don’t understand the hype of 4 wheel drive, all wheel drive and snow tires. Ive had no problems driving in raural norther Wisconsin in the wintertime, in subdivisions that haven’t been plowed or the toll road that never gets taking care of. I’ll just stay with what works for me but to each their own.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    My little front wheel drive car has got me everywhere I needed to go. I really don’t understand the hype of 4 wheel drive, all wheel drive and snow tires. Ive had no problems driving in raural norther Wisconsin in the wintertime, in subdivisions that haven’t been plowed or the toll road that never gets taking care of. I’ll just stay with what works for me but to each their own.
    It is the difference between getting by and having the correct tool for the job.

Just as you could carry a 22lr as your EDC, but choose to carry something more effective.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    It is the difference between getting by and having the correct tool for the job.

Just as you could carry a 22lr as your EDC, but choose to carry something more effective.
    See I don’t see it that way. It’s more like up grating mods to your Glock/M&P because you think it will make you shoot better when you just need to learn how to shoot.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    See I don’t see it that way. It’s more like up grating mods to your Glock/M&P because you think it will make you shoot better when you just need to learn how to shoot.

So you don't think a tire specially designed for winter conditions provides more traction on snow and ice than a regular all season? Those who use them just need to learn to drive better?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    So you don't think a tire specially designed for winter conditions provides more traction on snow and ice than a regular all season? Those who use them just need to learn to drive better?

If you're Rod Millen I doubt if it makes much difference what kind of tire you use. For those of us that don't have superhuman abilities across all kinds of terrain I'd say any little extra is always helpful Personally if I lived somewhere that had real snow I'd probably have snow tires on my vehicle.

Not specifically Rod but you get the "drift"!

[video=youtube;pXC1GRGDsoE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXC1GRGDsoE[/video]

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    While knowing how to handle a car in slippery conditions is part of the formula, even those who know what they are doing will eventually find themselves in a situation where the car next to you does something unexpected. At that point they will need to react quickly and physics will start to take over for good driving. Having dedicated winter tires will increase the likelyhood that the driver's actions can be translated to the road surface as intended.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I'm sure these are manipulated tests just to sell more tires but...

[video=youtube;GlYEMH10Z4s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s[/video]

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

Knowing how to drive in snow and ice makes a difference but so does having the proper tires. We could all be driving black Model T's but each of us chooses the performance, comfort and value we want in our vehicles. The OP will need to evaluate his own criteria. I like winter tires and find them really helpful and worth the nominal extra cost for the driving I do in northern Indiana.

So since these guys know how to ride they probably don't care about what tires they run or even check the tire pressure.

2017-motorcycle-racing-calendar-week-by-week-schedule.jpg

When I used to race I only used tubular race tires glued to my rims because I knew that rubber compounds mattered when your contact patch with the pavement was the size of two quarters.

tymmsy-crash.jpg

Here is what the engineers told the marketing guys to print. Rubber compound, tread design and siping make a difference.

07.jpg

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    While knowing how to handle a car in slippery conditions is part of the formula, even those who know what they are doing will eventually find themselves in a situation where the car next to you does something unexpected. At that point they will need to react quickly and physics will start to take over for good driving. Having dedicated winter tires will increase the likelyhood that the driver's actions can be translated to the road surface as intended.
    I must be doing something wrong then. Again to each their own. If you think it’s going to make you a better or safer driver have at it.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    If you think it’s going to make you a better or safer driver have at it.

Tires don't make you a better driver. I don't think anybody would argue that. But a tire designed for winter conditions will outperform an all season tire in winter driving. That's just fact.:dunno:

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Anybody run these tires year round? I see them on several vehicles during the summer.

I'm ashamed to say, I have tested this. I never got around to getting another set of wheels for my wife's car after the first winter. We now have 3 winters, and 2 summers on this set of General Altimax Arctic tires; still going strong. Night and day differnce in the snow, compared to the econo Hankooks that came on the car, plus the the meaty snow tires make her little Chevy Sonic look like a rally car.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I'm ashamed to say, I have tested this. I never got around to getting another set of wheels for my wife's car after the first winter. We now have 3 winters, and 2 summers on this set of General Altimax Arctic tires; still going strong. Night and day differnce in the snow, compared to the econo Hankooks that came on the car, plus the the meaty snow tires make her little Chevy Sonic look like a rally car.

I ran into a guy at a gas station in July. He has a souped up Subaru with Altimax Arctics on it. He ran them year round. He also drag raced a little and like the softer rubber compound.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My car is the "performance" version of the model, and came equipped with rather aggressive 3-season tires. They grip quite will on warm, dry pavement. They even grip fairly well on warm, wet pavement. They really fall off when the temp drops. My house has a very slight incline leading away from the garage. My wife's car (equipped with mid-market all-season tires) climbs right out, but my tires spin mercilessly after even a light dusting of snow.

I bought some nice Michelin snow tires this year on steel wheels. After installing them I have had no problems, even on the worst of the local roads.

Keeping two sets of wheels allows me to have a more enjoyable car in the summer, and a more usable car in the winter.

YMMV, but it works pretty well for my situation.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    If you say so :rolleyes:

If I'm wrong, why do tires of different types even exist?:dunno:

Why don't F1 cars, tractor pullers, Baja racers, rally drivers, and soccer moms all run the same tires? Are all tread patterns, sidewall designs, and rubber compounds just marketing gimmicks?

Top Bottom