Do you wear glassess/contacts? If so, what's your plan?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    As a glasses/contacts wearer I'm curious as to the setups to cover this. Laser surgery would be ideal but my eyes are still changing. The solution should last a while. Do you always stay six months ahead on contacts? Do you have one or two spare pair of glasses laying around?

just curious.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My wife buys a year of contacts at a time. But obviously her supply dwindles as time goes on. She does have a current eyeglass Rx, too, which helps. Prior to this set of glasses, her old pair were several years old and were almost as bad as her not wearing them at all.

Would love to get her LASIC or something - but it's 'spensive.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    "2-week" disposable contacts can be worn for much longer than that. If I remember correctly, the 2-week recommendation is for people who choose not to take theirs out every night and clean them. I routinely wear my contacts (taking them out every night) for a month or more. It's been about 4 years since my prescription changed, and I've got probably 18mos worth of contacts, plus a pair of glasses that are current. LASIC is in the plan, but there are other things that need squared away first. My contact supply will grow until such time as I can no longer get them, then we'll see what happens.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I buy a years worth of contacts at a time. I keep a spare set in my BOB, my E&E bag and elsewhere. I keep every pair of old glasses I've ever had going back to the 80s. Yes, that's right. If the SHTF, I may be bringing tortoise shell back baby. I even repaired broken ones, put a nerd strap on them and put them in a hardcase. I keep those in my Jeep, my wife's car, my office and GHB. Then I purchased back up pairs of glasses from Eyeglasses Online - Buy Prescription Glasses & Eyeglass Frames | Zenni Optical. My specs run around $39 each because they need a special grind, and I get antiglare coating and a bevel etc. I keep a pair in my BOB, and a couple at home. I keep a years worth of contact solution, eye drops and so on. Not hard to do. Pretty cheap stuff. I rotate it out like any other household commodity.

I can't afford to go without vision correction. So having glasses and contacts everywhere is important, and enough to last me the rest of my life if the SHTF tomorrow and continued for another 40 years. LASIK has never been an option for me because eye shape, astigmatism and thin cornea. A lens transplant could work. Could.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have saved ALL my old glasses, and have them stashed in various places - work, BOB, vehicles. Some aren't quite as clear as others, but all are better than nothing. Must have 10-12 pairs saved up by now.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    As an aviator my eyes were a big concern, especially as I got to the point where I was going to have to use glasses continuously. I used to get two pair of glasses a year while I was in the military/Guard and I still have some of those prescription glasses stashed here and there. I try to keep at least one spare pair of glasses in my car and one pair in my GHBs. If worse comes to worst, I'll have to get along without being able to see long distances or close detail.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I was almost blind in my right eye, it is what bounced me out of Air Force Basic many years ago. Used to stash all my old glasses everywhere and got Zenni glasses as backups. Broke down and got Lasik almost two years ago and it was the best money I have ever spent! Got it only in my right eye, my left eye is good for reading and is about 20/150 so it is not useless. My right eye is my dominant eye and now it is 20/20. I wish I could have done that 30 odd years ago, could have had a military career (or at least paid for my college).

Anyway, Lasik rocks!

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    As much as I would love LASIK, I've been really prone to eye infections lately. Just got one last week and now I'm blind in my left eye until I get over it. I do keep extra pairs wherever I can. As soon as I get the ok from my doc, I'm getting those fancy lasers shot into my corneas.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I went the lasik route. Figured that if SHTF I wanted to be able to watch it happen.

I went from needing glasses to see distances to needing readers. Doc told me this would happen up front because of my age. Wish I had done it years before I did though.

Just seems easier to find a pair of 1.5 magnifiers rather than a full script pair of glasses that match perfectly. I have readers stashed everywhere now. I can still see good enough up close to do most things, but now that I can see distances it is great.

Even bought safety glasses and sunglasses with readers in the bottom so I can do what I want.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    good question, don't want to wind up like this kid

piggy_answer_3_xlarge.png

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I have saved ALL my old glasses, and have them stashed in various places - work, BOB, vehicles. Some aren't quite as clear as others, but all are better than nothing. Must have 10-12 pairs saved up by now.
    Me too. In addition in my primary BOB in the quick access pocket I have a glasses strap. As I may find myself doing unfamiliar stuff in locations where glasses damage/loss may be possible.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I have a two-year supply of contacts and I have several pairs of glasses. I've thought about Lasik, and my eye doc says I'm a good candidate: very near-sighted but with no astigmatism and with very thick corneas. I wear contacts very well, though so it's not a real priority.

Also, I have a pretty substantial stock of saline in my prep stuff.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have dailys so I keep a few all over the place: my office, my car, home, luggage bags, bobs. I also have a nice pair of glasses and an older pair of glasses that are ok enough to get by, but the prescription is a bit off.

Top Bottom