• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ziggy01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Quick back story. My family and I recently moved to Avon fron Terre Haute. Since we moved over here we decided to find a doctor (pediatrician) for the kids so we didn't have to go to Terre Haute for check ups. So I get home from work this evening and my wife is telling me how the visit went. Then she tells me that the doctor asked if there were firearms in the house. My wife said yes there are. She was then asked if they were in a safe. My response was "did you tell them it was none of there business". This leads me to a couple questions.

1. Why is this there business?
    2. Why are these questions even asked?

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    This sort of questioning has been going on for quite some time. The first time I heard it, my now 17 year old boy was only one years old. I looked at my wife, looked at the doctor and to his question of guns in the home, i repled ...
    "Nope."

But I wouldn't read too much into it. They also asked if we had child proofed our electrical outlets and encourged us to turn the pot handles toward the back. They've seen hurt, scalded and dead kids.... they're just trying to prevent new parents horrible pain.

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    I agree, none of their business. Just curious, what was the wife's response? I think I would also ask the doctor why he needs to know.

Ziggy01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    I even tried to search before posting! She answered the questions. I was a little taken back because their first doctor never asked?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would find anothrer doctor, and tell this one why you did!

None of their business. Ask him if there is any alcohol in his house, and if he keeps his car keys locked up away from the kids in the house!

StreetStrip01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Florida
    I would find anothrer doctor, and tell this one why you did!

None of their business. Ask him if there is any alcohol in his house, and if he keeps his car keys locked up away from the kids in the house!

A little late for that, you know darn well this guy has already told the Feds about the guns, and now they are going to come audit your guns.

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Quick back story. My family and I recently moved to Avon fron Terre Haute. Since we moved over here we decided to find a doctor (pediatrician) for the kids so we didn't have to go to Terre Haute for check ups. So I get home from work this evening and my wife is telling me how the visit went. Then she tells me that the doctor asked if there were firearms in the house. My wife said yes there are. She was then asked if they were in a safe. My response was "did you tell them it was none of there business". This leads me to a couple questions.

1. Why is this there business?
    2. Why are these questions even asked?

Was it at IU West?

coorslight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Carver. MA.
    We got that question when my kids were young I think it is a standard question. When asked if I had guns in the house I told him, lot's, when asked if they were in a safe I said yes, except the one under my jacket. Never asked again at any future visit.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My son was picking the safety plugs out of the outlets the week after he was able to crawl to them. My house is dangerous to most adults. It's just a matter of training the little wankers not to mess with the stuff that will kill them. That's pretty easy here, if you can see it and I haven't told you it's ok, it will probably kill you. Don't touch. He's survived to 16, so he's doing pretty well. Doctors, NOYDB.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Asked that question when my son was little on a form to be filled out, I said no to the questions. When the nurse came in and asked the questions my son said, yes. So I asked the nurse, what is the big deal? Her reply was, 'that statistics have shown when guns are present in the home suicide is up, domestic violence is higher, and even child abuse was more likely.'

I told her 'all my life growing up there have been guns in the home. Even on display at the end of the hall in a gun cabinet and never once did once of them any of the guns jump and hurt someone or has there been any problems like that in my home then or now.'

It just made her mad, she really believed what they said.

glock212327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I have also been asked these questions by my kid's doctor. I understand how people could get the idea that the doctor is getting into your personal business. I think they ask about the firearms to educate as far as safety. I said I did and they were in a safe that was the last of those questions. If you said you had them lying around i'm sure they would advise you of the dangers of having said firearms lying around blah blah blah. I feel they asked questions to make sure your child is in a safe environment. :twocents:

Top Bottom