• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Went to the doctor for our newborn checkup. The nurse went through her mess of questions about smoking in the house etc. Then she asked me if I had any firearms in my house.... WTF! Why does it matter. I asked the doctor what that was about to which he immediately replies "Its not like were asking for some government agency or something..." He claims it has to do with infant safety, but Im unsure how.

Input?
    Get a new Doctor. How likely is it that a newborn will get to the gun?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    How likely is it that a newborn will get to the gun?

Precisely! They can save money by buying a crib without rails since newborns can't roll over too. Get a carseat rated for 10 pounds and don't try to change any habits you had before children were in the home. It's just a newborn... It's so small, it will hardly change things at all for you.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    If the question is relevant, then why don't they ask questions about the thousands of things that cause death/injury more than guns?

Like pools, knives, prescription meds, violent offenders, etc.

Mine does. Well, they asked if we have a swimming pool (we don't) and "Remember, put your prescriptions in a place where your children can't reach get to them..."

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Get a new Doctor. How likely is it that a newborn will get to the gun?

Seriously? Yes because he WILL stay 7 pounds 2 ounces and 20 inches forever, and will never gain any sort of mobility or curiousity.... As I mentioned, Im not getting a new doctor. He is the doctor of my ENTIRE family.. And a very good doctor at that. To find one that will take all of ours and care as much as he oes, and that I dont want to choke the life out of, he stays!

Part of that probably should have been in purple... Maybe all of it.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Mine does. Well, they asked if we have a swimming pool (we don't) and "Remember, put your prescriptions in a place where your children can't reach get to them..."

But we have those pill bottles with the nifty little child proof caps.. Thats good enough, right?

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    My wife had the question asked during her last visit. We're both on Medicare so it has nothing to do with having kids in the home. Here's the best part; when she told him that there were guns in the home and that both her and I have LTCH, he told her that he's planning to get his as well.

On another note; when I had my "Welcome to Medicare" physical last year, the nurse asked me a bunch of questions such as "Are you depressed". I was really floored when she asked me if I was sexually active. I looked her in the eye and said, "Why yes, what've you got in mind."

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    My answer would be no and I would like my family's records prepared to transfer to another Dr. I believe under Obamacare the government will have access to your med records.

I know at least one doc who is a shooter and I don't think he asks anyone about guns in the home.

Worse I have heard some Doctors are refusing treatment for anyone who refuses vaccinations.

This

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Precisely! They can save money by buying a crib without rails since newborns can't roll over too. Get a carseat rated for 10 pounds and don't try to change any habits you had before children were in the home. It's just a newborn... It's so small, it will hardly change things at all for you.

Seriously? Yes because he WILL stay 7 pounds 2 ounces and 20 inches forever, and will never gain any sort of mobility or curiousity.... As I mentioned, Im not getting a new doctor. He is the doctor of my ENTIRE family.. And a very good doctor at that. To find one that will take all of ours and care as much as he oes, and that I dont want to choke the life out of, he stays!

Part of that probably should have been in purple... Maybe all of it.

Of course you Doctor does see you, he probably knows how irresponsible you are. :D

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    2A SISTERS

Went to the doctor for our newborn checkup. The nurse went through her mess of questions about smoking in the house etc. Then she asked me if I had any firearms in my house.... WTF! Why does it matter. I asked the doctor what that was about to which he immediately replies "Its not like were asking for some government agency or something..." He claims it has to do with infant safety, but Im unsure how.

Input?

Go to:

Second Amendment Sisters - Self-Defense is a Basic Human Right

at the bottom of the page is a link fot a printable PDF (PHISICIANS AFFIDAVIT)

It asks for the phisicians credentials as a Firearms Counselor.

malvarez10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think some bullets contain lead. I suppose if you had a long day of shooting, it might be a good idea to wash up very well since a developing child is much more at risk to any chemicals or poisons than adults. But on the actual fire arm note doesn't IN law state that in a household with a child under a certain age REQUIRES a lock or safe on all guns? (At least she could have lied and said "its because of lead poisoning" just to not seem to pry into your business)

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I think some bullets contain lead. I suppose if you had a long day of shooting, it might be a good idea to wash up very well since a developing child is much more at risk to any chemicals or poisons than adults. But on the actual fire arm note doesn't IN law state that in a household with a child under a certain age REQUIRES a lock or safe on all guns? (At least she could have lied and said "its because of lead poisoning" just to not seem to pry into your business)

You must be from England. :D

mlzoiss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    The AAP has taken the position since 1992, that the absence of guns from children's homes is the most reliable and effective measure to prevent firearm-related injuries in children.

Firearm-Related Injuries Affecting the Pediatric Population

Until they end up running across an unsecured gun in another location, and because they don't recognize real guns, or know anything about them they can end up worse off than if they are taught gun safety in the home of a responsible gun owner.

Absolutely no reason to be asking about guns, especially for a newborn. The doctor is going to see him/her about 20 times before they are big enough to even get to a gun.

Maybe doctors should be teaching parents about the signs of depression, and warning signs for suicide risk. More kids are dying from suicide than anything else right now.

Top Bottom